Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless router help

• 30-05-2005 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm making progress - I can access my router settings now by typing in the ip address, however I still can't access the internet...

I have my PC connected via ethernet cable to ZyXEL 623R-T1 (BT supplied) and I'm trying to connect a wireless router (Linksys WRT54GC).

I have selected the internet connection type as PPPoE and entered my username and password, but still no joy.

Are there other settings that I need to setup?

Any ideas appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

do you have a static ip adress from bt?

If yes can you not give the router the Ip and set the router to dhcp for the desktop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Having the EXACT problem myself.I am thinkin that the Wireless Router has to be set as a passthru gateway. I havent really had time to mess about with it yet. You could setup a routing table on your Wireless Box as well.With A SINGLE default (all routes) route travelling from it to your BT box, which is also a router. There is probably a much easier way of doing all of this!
    Get your Wireless router to act as the DHCP server,seeing as it is immediately visible from your wireless enabled client.Ill be watchin this thread for more info!

Have you tried using the setup program on the CD that came with the wireless box?I just discovered it the other day..

also why do you have the pc connected to the modem and not to the wireless router?

Can you not connect the modem to the wan(internet port) port on the router set a static ip adress on the router or dynamic whatever you have and set the router to dhcp out - connect the desktop to one of the ports on the wireless router?

That way the router has it own static and the desktop will get a dynamic ip adress -

What type of nic is in the desktop are the other wireless devices ?
    and operating system?

also check the setup guide that came with the router on page 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

:o How do I know if I have a static IP address? :o

• Advertisement

How do you know if you have a static ip - your isp can provide you with this info

is the router set to act as a dhcp server?

take a look at mine as a example - edited my ip adress ;);)

look at the dhcp option

if you still can't figure it out really

Hey Mac Daddy - really appreciate your help. I had the cabling bit right from the start. I've changed my router config to something like your setup - Still not working.

Do I need to change the modem config as well?

Here's the modem config...

• Advertisement

When I type in an address the lights on the router and modem flash as if it's going to work, then I get the page cannot be displayed message...

does the desktop have a ip yet ?

Have you got a static ip adress from your isp or do you get a dynamic ip?

Looking at your router config - you have it set to recieve dhcp and send dhcp this is all very well if your isp assigns you a dynamic ip adress (changes every couple of days) what could be the problem here is the ip adress that you need is a static ip on the router and not a dynamic.

try the below
    start/run/ cmd ipconfig /all

if yes can you ping the bt modem?

can you ping the router?

Also make sure you internet explorer is set to never dial a connection!
    go to tools/connections set it that way.

What happens when you plug the lan cable into the desktop and disconnect the router so your directly connected to the bt modem? can you access the net or not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭ClonmelMan

You have 2 routers thats why you are having problems.
    The ZyXEL 623R-T1 is also a router with one ethernet port, you need to disable DHCP on one and then connect the patch cable for the ZyXEL 623R-T1 to one of the ports on the WRT54G so it just acts like a wireless access point and that should do it.

Managed to get it sorted after - I left the settings as they were and bridged the modem to the router - working fine now. Thanks to all for the help... :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Just to clarify, when you say 'bridged' what exactly do you mean? Have you you a cable coming from your BT modem into the internet port of your Wireless Router?

Yep, but I had that from the start. What I didn't have was the correct modem setting. You need to go into modem settings 192.168.1.1 (connect the modem using the ethernet cable to the PC leaving out the router for a minute) and set it as "bridged" in the settings. Should work then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Hmm, I tried the bridging thing, and connecting, and all I'm getting is the weak ACT light trying to turn solid green and failing. A couple of times, I've been assigned all of my IPs and it's connected fully, but I've never been able to use the internet with it.

Any help?

Advertisement