Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Law Would You Change?

Options
  • 30-05-2005 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I was wondering, If you could change ONE Irish road rule, what would it be?

This does not include:
    :p Adding a new law
    :rolleyes: Eliminating a current law completely
    :eek: Or better enforcement of a current law!

Me, I would change the bus lane law to include 'VEHICLES' with 3 or more occupants (I.E. Living Human Occupants).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Nah, leave the bus lanes exactly where they are. I don't car pooling is going to make a whole lot of difference.

I don't think I would change any laws. I would just ask that existing laws are enforced with regularity and equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

BrianD wrote:
    Nah, leave the bus lanes exactly where they are. I don't car pooling is going to make a whole lot of difference.

I don't think I would change any laws. I would just ask that existing laws are enforced with regularity and equality.

Yeah, but i regularly drive with two passangers, and i would love to zip up the bus lanes!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i would make it against the law for people to drive with their fog lights on - they would get an automatic 4 penalty points.

i would also make it a criminal offence for dog owners to let their dogs poop where ever they wanted without cleaning it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I would change the law of gravity, so that I could decide how much gravity works on different things Mwahahahahahaha

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mandatory driver testing every 2 years and automatic banning if the driver fails a driving test 3 or more times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

tabatha wrote:
    i would make it against the law for people to drive with their fog lights on - they would get an automatic 4 penalty points.

What if it was foggy?

For me it is what BrianD said, leave the existing rules alone and actually enforece them.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Mandatory driver testing every 2 years and automatic banning if the driver fails a driving test 3 or more times.
    Don't think people forget how to drive they just choose to drive that way so wouldn't really help.

I'd make it an offence to drive unreasonably slow on all routes as this leads to excessive overtaking. (not advocating speeding - just sick of being stuck behind some b1tch doin 30 on a 60 road)

Does it not strike you as stupid for use the law to force someone to drive a a speed greater than that which they are comfortable driving at?

MrP

Lads,
    The question was regarding CHANGING a current law, to improve it. I know that current laws need better enforcement, but as per the conditions outlined on the OP:
    prospect wrote:
    This does not include:
    :p Adding a new law
    :rolleyes: Eliminating a current law completely
    :eek: Or better enforcement of a current law!
    That is not my question.

So IF you wanted to CHANGE an EXISTING LAW which would it be?
    If you would rather there was better enforcement of current laws, or would like to add/remove a currrent one, then please start another thread.

Does it not strike you as stupid for use the law to force someone to drive a a speed greater than that which they are comfortable driving at?
    Does it not strike you as stupid that someone who is incapable to drive a car at a reasonable speed is permitted to drive??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I would allow people to turn left on a red light provided they came to a complete stop & it was safe to do so etc

Boggle wrote:
    Does it not strike you as stupid that someone who is incapable to drive a car at a reasonable speed is permitted to drive??
    What you deem to be reasonable that is.

I am not saying that it isn't annoying, it is. I am just saying that it is not really fair to punish someone for not feeling comfortable going fast. Not wanting to drive fast does not automatically mean they are incapable.

MrP

fletch wrote:
    I would allow people to turn left on a red light provided they came to a complete stop & it was safe to do so etc
    I don't think this is a good idea. People have little enough respect for red lights. What I would do is have all left filter lanes fitted with the flashing amber arrow instead of a green light. This would allow you to have periods for pedestrians to cross which are protected by a red light. At all other times it could be left with caution.

MrP

What you deem to be reasonable that is.

I am not saying that it isn't annoying, it is. I am just saying that it is not really fair to punish someone for not feeling comfortable going fast. Not wanting to drive fast does not automatically mean they are incapable.
    What I and the constant cue of other drivers waiting to overtake consider to be a reasonable speed. I would rather have that person put off the road than take the risk of overtaking him everytime I meet him...

(Basically, why does driving in this country cater so mich towards the barely capable?)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Allow classic cars in bus lanes :D

Yeah baby!

Boggle wrote:
    What I and the constant cue of other drivers waiting to overtake consider to be a reasonable speed. I would rather have that person put off the road than take the risk of overtaking him everytime I meet him...

(Basically, why does driving in this country cater so mich towards the barely capable?)
    Just because someone does not want to drive as fast as you does not mean they are not capable of it, nor does it mean they are not competent drivers.

I agree that if someone is not competent they should not be on the road. A person's competency should not, however, be decided by their willingness to travel at the maximum speed allowed for a particular road.

If there was a proper driver training, testing and periodic retesting regime in place incompetent drivers could be prevented from using our roads in the first place.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I would change the law so that you get one drivers licence that is credit card sized with a pic on it and it is valid up until your 70th birthday as opposed to the ten year ones we get now that we have now. Just another way to tax us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I reckon that their should be an advanced driving test that people can do if they wish that allow people to drive faster on dual carriage was and motorways ONLY!
    IE....the limit is 120km/h........should be able to do the test and be allowed to do 150 or 160km/h........and if yoy passed the test special number plates are issued for your car!

120km/h is a bit slow............not speed limits on the autobhans in Germany and they have a lower death rate on their roads than us.....so mustnt make much of a difference!

Just a though......but i know everyone will hate this idea!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

MrPudding wrote:

MrP

Yet if they did this in a test they'd fail the test, ever wonder why?

No we are getting places people. Some interesting POV's here.
    Curran wrote:
    I reckon that their should be an advanced driving test that people can do if they wish that allow people to drive faster on dual carriage was and motorways ONLY!
    IE....the limit is 120km/h........should be able to do the test and be allowed to do 150 or 160km/h........and if yoy passed the test special number plates are issued for your car!

120km/h is a bit slow............not speed limits on the autobhans in Germany and they have a lower death rate on their roads than us.....so mustnt make much of a difference!

I think it is a great idea, but I couldn't see it working, because even if you are 100% competant at 160Km/h, you can't be certain what the plebster in the left lane is going to do as you pass at such a high speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Increase motorway speed limit to 130KMPH to match French speed limits.

Ban all Nudge and Bull bars from 4X4s - strike that ban all 4X4s SUVs except under permit where owner can show they have a need for this type of vehicle - that'll save dozens of lives each year for both SUV drivers and other road users.

Mailman wrote:
    ban all 4X4s SUVs except under permit where owner can show they have a need for this type of vehicle
    And take illegal owners from their beds in the middle of the night and send them to detention camps while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

And take illegal owners from their beds in the middle of the night and send them to detention camps while you're at it.

If only we could.

Originally Posted by Curran

prospect wrote:
    I think it is a great idea, but I couldn't see it working, because even if you are 100% competant at 160Km/h, you can't be certain what the plebster in the left lane is going to do as you pass at such a high speed.

Ah yes....but if they go ahead with the proposed plan of widening the M50 to 3 lanes.....ban the people who dont have special licence from drivin in the fastest lane..........as for dual carriage ways....hmmm.....tough solution there!

But people do over 120km/h anyways.........never seems to cause too many problems!

i would also ban anyone over the age of 75 from driving and make it illegal for anyone to "cut in " between you and a car in front when there in harldy any room. and as for the fog lights obviously there suppose to be used when its foggy but not during the day and night just because you like the look of the little orange light on the dash board!

tabatha wrote:
    make it illegal for anyone to "cut in " between you and a car in front when there in harldy any room.
    That is illegal - it's called dangerous driving!

Sure is illegal............but also a grey area.......define hardly any room!

If you are driving a 40ft you never have and room :D

well a guy today (in his lexus) cut in front of me and left me having to jam on the brakes leaving a matter of a couple of inches between my car and his once he got in. it made such a difference to get in front! and its only against the law if a garda sees it and even then if they want to do something about it is another thing.

Just because someone does not want to drive as fast as you does not mean they are not capable of it, nor does it mean they are not competent drivers.
    Thats not what I am complaining about - I'm complaining about people going unreasonably slow (given the conditions) and not about them just going slower (or faster) than me.
    My point was that someone who drives this slow causes others to overtake, thus causing a blatant danger on the roads...
    I agree that if someone is not competent they should not be on the road. A person's competency should not, however, be decided by their willingness to travel at the maximum speed allowed for a particular road.
    Again, I'm not demanding that people drive on the limit.

• Advertisement

WRT people driving slow,

I think if people drive less than 50% of the limit they should not be on the road.
    I was recently behind an old couple and he was driving at 40Kmh ona 100Kmh stretch of road, good road.
    If he is only capable of driving at that speed in good conditions on a good road, then how would he be able to react in a dangerous enmergency situation?

Advertisement