Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Way Satellite Broadband - Cheapest option

• 30-05-2005 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,
    The only option open to me for faster internet speeds than dialup is Satellite.
    I am aware of satellites limitations but have no choice.
    I can't get DSL or any of the wireless products available in Ireland.

I have read several posts in these fora about one-way broadband options.
    The cheapest options seem to be the self install ones with the service bought from European providers such as AVCBroadband.

Can anyone tell me if there are similar cheap 2 way systems that i could install myself.
    What would i need and who are the cheapest providers?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Currently looking into 2-way sat with a company known as http://www.fastnetbroadband.com they seem to have the best sort of package

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I have read several posts in these fora about one-way broadband options.
    The cheapest options seem to be the self install ones with the service bought from European providers such as AVCBroadband.
    Yes. You need Flat Rate dialup as well.
    Can anyone tell me if there are similar cheap 2 way systems that i could install myself.
    No, the problem is that you need to point it very very accurately for the uplink so thats why self install is out .

Even if it WAS cheap you would still have to pay for the installation.

The GOOD news is that the kit is cheap on ebay, buy it there and take the hit on the install and reactivation only

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=8060&item=6771822422&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

Thanks guys.

Blitz,
    i looked at that site and its not clear if their service is available to just one customer on their own.

Can you tell me anymore?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

http://www.fastnetbroadband.com/services/community.html

"The shared use offers each user a 2,048/512kbs connection, including voice and video services, including nomadic voice within the FastXONE sites. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

dlofnep wrote:
    http://www.fastnetbroadband.com/services/community.html

"The shared use offers each user a 2,048/512kbs connection, including voice and video services, including nomadic voice within the FastXONE sites. "

I have had the misfortune of using 2 way sat for a number of years, it stinks, the laws of physics dictate that the latency is horrendous, IP traffic does not like latency for most common applications. Voice will be akin to 2 way radio due to delays, VPN and SSH traffic will be very hit and miss.

There is simply no way that the 2048/512 product will not come with massive contention, the base wholesale price for sat transponder space (un-contended) is currently in the region of € 3,000 per Mbs.

Unlike a bit of radio kit on a hill or a Dlsam in an exchange, building launching and maintaining satellites is not a cheap option, combine with the relative shortage to usable microwave spectrum and the uplink requirements, the answer does not equal low cost, low contention satellite bandwidth.

.Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tadgh Watts

Advertising isn't allowed in here. Advertising laughable services at laughable prices isn't allowed in here either. I was a bold boy.

If I really want to advertise, I know I should really send an email to adverts@boards.ie instead of trying to freeload, espically when my companys advertising budget is the equivalent to a small african states national debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Lol, I had just edited it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

a full on Eircom Pimp no less ! Do I see a lil pattern around This Board very recently :) ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/circles, waiting upon tadghs return

Advertisement