Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G on RTG

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

The Sharp 902 is available on Ready to Go at 499 based on the 100 Euro off also.
    Dont need manual or charger with phone and basically from what the guys in my local shop told me, as long as it even resembles a mobile phone, they give the 100 Euro off. They are throwing them into the recycle bin anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

Vodafone's Online Store described the €100 off as an "online discount" so I don't have to give them an old phone, Its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Screensiren

Hi All,

I'd seen this offer on the Vodafone website and came on the boards to get advice from all of you mobile phone 'gurus'!!! ;)

Bearing in mind that I'm in very blonde humour today.... can you please explain to me (in plain English :D ) what the benefit is of having a 3G phone vs the bog standard mobile?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Tnx,
    SS

The main advantage of 3G is it is very fast
    Its like broadband internet or dialup.
    Because it is so fast, they are now trying to push music videos, tv clips, ringtones, songs etc.
    Also, if you use your phone with a laptop for dialling the internet when you are out and about, it is very fast for browsing and mail etc
    The other big feature of 3G is of course video calling
    If your firends have a 3G phone, you can now make video calls at the same cost as an ordinary call

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Screensiren

Hi Wolfman,

I really appreciate your response.... very straightforward and clear!
    I've been thinking of upgrading my phone for a while, so this might be the ideal time :D

I'll prob get the v980 - do you know if this has bluetooth technology?
    It doesn't say it on the website.

Thanks!
    SS xx

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, thats why the V980 is the cheapest of the lot
    It has no connectivity (Bluetooth or Infrared), except using a data cable
    The next one up is the Nokia 6630 which is 50 Euro dearer, but has bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

Got my 6630 today (Shocked at the next day delivery!), just to note it came with the PT-8 video stand which is nice considering its €83 on expansys and they say "video stand required" in the online specs!!!

As far as I know Vodafone RTG doesn't allow for 3G/GPRS dialup from a PC, it only allows for WAP access over 3G/GRPS, which is bad as the 6630 has had CSD dialup support removed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Got my 6630 today (Shocked at the next day delivery!), just to note it came with the PT-8 video stand which is nice considering its €83 on expansys and they say "video stand required" in the online specs!!!

Theyve been doing that since before christmas because they figured out that you cant make a video call without it. It still means its pretty much impossible to make a video call on the move as walking around with a phone on a cradle in your hand isnt very practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

ive been using a ready to go chip in the 6630 since january here in sligo. granted i had to use a program to switch it too gsm rather than using 3g signal. i restored the factory settings on it yesterday and when i went into town my old ready to go sim picked up the 3g signal and i was able to make a video call with the stand........so don;t see any point of changing sims!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Before on Bill Pay you did need to change to a new 3G SIM

But... AFAIK

You do not need to change SIM's anymore. Just buy the phone and away you go. I think this is a knock on effect of both prepaid and postpaid people being able to use the 3G network now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

You no longer need to change SIMs - all VF SIMs now work the 3G network.

The only reason the restriction was ever there was to stop RTG users accessing the 3G network before VF could bill prepaid 3G usage... Now they can, there's no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Out of these three which one is best?

Nokia 6630 - €199
    Sony Ericsson V800 - €249
    Nokia 6680 - €299

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dave6195 wrote:
    Out of these three which one is best?

Nokia 6630 - €199
    Sony Ericsson V800 - €249
    Nokia 6680 - €299

the 6680

oh yeah forgot to ask, has anyone seen the camera's on the nokia 3g phones actually workin and are they any good? all previous nokia models had camera's good as poo and i mite be inclined to stay away from their 3g phones :(

Dave6195 wrote:
    oh yeah forgot to ask, has anyone seen the camera's on the nokia 3g phones actually workin and are they any good? all previous nokia models had camera's good as poo and i mite be inclined to stay away from their 3g phones :(

both the 6680 and the 66390 have 1.3 mega pixel camaras , so should be spot on :)

hope they are, i always preferred nokia. Will probaly go into a store and ask for a demo ;)

Thanks for the help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Bought a 6680 today and seems to be good - PC Suite has been updated and is miles better than the old version, the camera is a lot better than on my old 7650, and Series 60 has got a welcome makeover.

The main problem has been my SIM. The phone keeps flashing up "SIM card registeration lost" and eventually "SIM card rejected" and "phone will restart". Using the old "put a piece of paper between the sim and battery" trick seems to have solved it, but for this to be a problem at all on a brand new phone is just wierd.

Doesn't seem to have suffered from the network problems that users have described affecting the 6630, though I will have to travel down the country (my area seems to be 3G friendly) to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It appears the trade in offer is a nonsense as I got a 6630 yesterday and there was absolutlely no mention of trading in an old phone. Just €199 on the nail amd off I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Got my self a 6680 yesterday for €99 on a upgrade. That includes a 100 discount for a non-existant trade-in. Hard to believe the price since a sim free price is up to €620!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I got the 6680 on Thursday I ported back to Vodafone from O2 the phone is great there is only one problem everytime i go to download music or videos i get "access denied contact customer support" its wrecking my head now ringing them up and getting told to switch of my phone and try again so they think cos i ported back it is going to be a bit longer to sort out everything for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

what comes in the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

how much a vodafone charging for 3g charges across the boards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Would anyone reccoment the Motorola V980? I would go for a nokia, but I don't have the money.

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    Would anyone reccoment the Motorola V980? I would go for a nokia, but I don't have the money.

No .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

got the motorola v980 yesterday and its brill!! camera's great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Sarge wrote:
    all vodafone phones come in the one pack...

do mean that prepay and postpay is not written on the package?
    fair enought saves branding money
    but what about simlocking, prepaid are locked but postpay arent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

all 3g phones are sim locked

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hi Guys,
    anyone who upgraded to the 6680(contract) what minute plan did you have to
    go to to get it, was there a upgrade price variation depending on the plane
    you signed up to?
    seems like the offers are very good, maybe vodafone are getting worried about 3's
    imminent arrival....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

vector wrote:
    do mean that prepay and postpay is not written on the package?
    fair enought saves branding money
    but what about simlocking, prepaid are locked but postpay arent

All live phones have the Vodafone branded software and are locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

All live phones have the Vodafone branded software and are locked.

I've had a original vodafone RTG 3310 for ages and have spent a fortune on credit, so I've built up a "unlock coupon" or whatever I'll see if they will unlock the 6630 with that

Advertisement