Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Try-before-buy for software: what method is prefered?

Options
  • 30-05-2005 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Most small companies are loath to buy software without having giving it a trial first, but this obviously has risks in that they might not pay for it at all. What (in your opinion) is the best way to release trial versions?
    • Time limited version?
    • Restricted functionality version?
    • Nag screen (or similar reminder) version?
    • Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Merrion wrote:
    Most small companies are loath to buy software without having giving it a trial first, but this obviously has risks in that they might not pay for it at all. What (in your opinion) is the best way to release trial versions?
    • Time limited version?
    • Restricted functionality version?
    • Nag screen (or similar reminder) version?
    • Any others?

the only way to go is 30/60 day trail (one that really works , not one of these change your clock and use type ones)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Definitely not a restricted functionality version! You want people to be aware of exactly what your software can offer them. While they may only be testing your program, if it can't do what they need it to do they are likely to find an application that will. You need to show your software in the best possible light.

I think a time limited version is the way to go but not a date based system like 30/60/90 days but rather one based on usage like 50/100 tries. People will not always use your program when they download/install it and even if they do they may not use it consistently. What you don't want is someone to install it, use it once or twice then 3 months later need to do the task again and think "oh, that program can do it. Time expired? oh well I'll get something else." By having it usage based you are allowing them to use it when they need to use it and create an association of "If I need to do X I use Y".

Advertisement