Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oh those BMW drivers ....

Options
  • 30-05-2005 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭

No disrespect to any Beemer drivers but some of them have been really getting up my nose lately. Just yesterday on a very busy 60k section of the N7 a girl driving a 318 conv. made 3 lane changes without indicating, and when she did indicate to pull into a petrol station she moved in, back out, in again and back out again before finally turning into the garage.

I put it down to her Bloody Mind Wandered.

Any more insightful or funny acronym type thingys? Just a bit of fun now lads, no need for anyone to get all upset. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Surely it's the driver you should be mad at and not the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DubTony wrote:
    a girl driving a 318 conv...

Dontcha just hate them?! :D Clearly its the driver, some young wan who thinks she's it proberly...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

The other day I was cruising along as usual in my BMW coming onto one of my motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I couldn't believe that the volume of traffic DIDN'T slow down for me AT ALL as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motorway! (The driver of the car behind me did realise his mistake though and honked an apology to me with a long blast of his horn.)

Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the BMW lane. (Why do underlings use this lane? Surely everyone knows it is for BMW drivers only?)

Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 110mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph!

Naturally, I got to within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the BMW lane of my motorway and to get out of my way.

Of course, once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out behind me! He also tried to keep up with me and when he realised I would out-run him, he put on some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager to oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast! Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I had to take my driver's licence to a Police Station to be sent away to have some points put on! (They're not free points either - they're £20 each and I was only allowed 3.) But the man at the Police Station said that because I drive a BMW, it won't be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED a driving licence, so they will take it off me!
    See, now That's the sort of respect you get when you buy and drive a BMW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Roffle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

classic.. I can almost hear a bottle blonde with a D4 accent reciting it. brilliant stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL, never knew they had a dedicated BMW lane in the UK :D

> packs bags ready to emigrate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

A curse on those that don't like BMW. A curse I tells ya!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Everybody knows about the BMW lane on motorways the world over... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They must be related to Merc Coupe drivers ...driving into town on N81 past the hotel and down towards Tempelogue. Traffic q-ing in the straight ahead lane, MErc coupe drives down turn right lane stops short of lights and indicates left to get into straight ahead lane. Some moron lets her in. Drives on through tempelogue village and then attempts to turn right at lights where no right turn is allowed. Honestly these traffic restrictions must apply to certain car owners only ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

There's quite an unhealthy attitude and general lack of respect towards bmw drivers around here, I agree that some of them can be complete w***kers, but just like the younger generation of boy-racers its always the 99% that spoil it for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I drive a BMW and do indicate and don't believe for a second that I own the road (or paths, parking spaces etc). I think a lot of the problem is the "gentleman" BMW driver. They are above us all and the law. Due to their wealth and status in society they do not need to obey the normal rules of the road or simple manners. The same tends to apply to big feck off Range Rovers and other big jeeps that never set wheel off road. And Mercs etc etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bucks - absolutely classic post. :D

Having seen loads of threads here about indicating etc, I have been more vigiland than usual, and it is not just BMWs that don't indicate. It's mainly, well, everyone these days. Though having said that, I actually saw a taxi indicate the other day. He must have hit the indicator by mistake and wondering what the hell the clicking noise was.

The one thing I have noticed that a lot of BMW drivers don't do in particular is let people out on to the road, and seem to make every effort to squeeze up to ensure you won't get out.

You're driving an alfa, what do you expect ?

Just to play devils advocate here... In our, I mean their defense, the big car owners are paying a lot more (disproportionately even) in annual road tax, and should therefore be entitled to that little bit extra in 'own the road terms' over say a fiesta or volkswagon for example.

If everyone comports themselves in an orderly fashion by hugging the kerb/wall/ditch etc. they've nothing to fear from uberpanzers commanding premium slices of portentous ponfitification on our roads today.

528i wrote:
    uberpanzers commanding premium slices of portentous ponfitification

Thats enough alliteration - ed. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

528i wrote:
    You're driving an alfa, what do you expect ?.

Of course, apparantly I am liable to break down every 2 minutes, and this would just hold up the BMW if he let me out in front of him - sorry I didn't think of that before.

You would think though that the BMW driver could hire a PA Type person to indicate for them and grab the controls whenever he needed to use his mobile and laptop while drinking a orange mocha frapoccino?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've always wondered how people can justify spending so much money on mercs and beamers when the indicators don't ever seem to work on them. not that I've seen anyway. whenever I'm getting cut up it always seems to be one or the other.

maybe i can get those things they used to have on chariots with the spikes out of the wheels.

I feel the need for a AutobahnCrusier support group...!

Mike.

eoin_s wrote:
    Bucks - absolutely classic post. :D

And just incase anyone thinks im trying to stir s**t i drive a BMW myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

When I had my BMW's the car park attendant of a certain bank I go to used to leave me park in the bank's car park without giving me one of those timed tickets - kinda bothered me really as I am one of those 'same law for everyone types' but when I got my Alfa - yeah you guessed it I got a ticket like everyone else :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

I have test driven few beemers and they do have indicators :eek:
    Now have to check the mercs out :D

• Advertisement

bmw.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Felixdhc wrote:
    I think a lot of the problem is the "gentleman" BMW driver. They are above us all and the law. Due to their wealth and status in society they do not need to obey the normal rules of the road or simple manners. The same tends to apply to big feck off Range Rovers and other big jeeps that never set wheel off road. And Mercs etc etc.....
    Gotta agree, when crossing the road as a pedestrian there is no way I'd rely on a "rep / captain of industry / yuppie / think they are Alpha males etc." slowing down in the way you would with most other road users. Esp. if they have tinted windows and LT plates.

When I had my BMW's the car park attendant of a certain bank I go to used to leave me park in the bank's car park without giving me one of those timed tickets - kinda bothered me really as I am one of those 'same law for everyone types' but when I got my Alfa - yeah you guessed it I got a ticket like everyone else :rolleyes:
    Respeckt, I like it !
    A budding young entrepreneur fishing for tips, I get the same at service stations with spick 'n span windscreen wash initiatives, the country needs more of this rather than all the hostility and downright contempt so evident in everyday irish society (and ok, boards.ie too) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Sure in Germany, you get arrested for driving in the BMW lane and not letting one pass. That's my kind of country :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

halkar wrote:
    I have test driven few beemers and they do have indicators

Well, they're on the light clusters, but surely they couldn't be connected to anything internally. :D I'm always reminded of the faux ad: "For Sale BMW 320 2001 37000miles, indicators as new"

Nice post Bucks BTW - I was really expecting the more usual row :)

FWIW the worst driving I've seen in the last week has been the VW Transporter van yesterday for 8-9 lane changes without using any indicators and the Suzuki tiny POS, that bolted out of the toll bridge gates, across 4 lanes to block the (a different) van coming out the easy pass lane, then get out and harrangue the van driver - yes stopped on the bridge :mad: Oh and the Jaguar this morning who felt that the yield sign didn't apply to him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

see my drawing for the road position only adopted by hummers and bmws ;)

im sure most other bikers will agree with me....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eoin_s wrote:
    Of course, apparantly I am liable to break down every 2 minutes, and this would just hold up the BMW if he let me out in front of him - sorry I didn't think of that before?

The important point is here is that you would be in front of the bmw, because in my personal experience, despite their best endavours, that'll always be the case... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Borzoi wrote:
    FWIW the worst driving I've seen in the last week has been the VW Transporter van yesterday for 8-9 lane changes without using any indicators and the Suzuki tiny POS, that bolted out of the toll bridge gates, across 4 lanes to block the (a different) van coming out the easy pass lane, then get out and harrangue the van driver - yes stopped on the bridge :mad: Oh and the Jaguar this morning who felt that the yield sign didn't apply to him :rolleyes:
    We need to start reporting these drivers to the Gardai.

Yes, I realise that their union may complain that we're doing half their job (the detection of violations), but since they seem to be concentrating on silly speed traps, the need all the help they can get.

I cycle and carry a little notepad with me. I write in it regularly. Going to the Garda station is inconvenient but I feel that if I don't then people will continue to drive dangerously.

Advertisement