Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Win 2k Key Update

• 30-05-2005 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I am currently running Win2k adv server sp4 evauluation, I have been running it for about 80 days now and have only 10 days left!!! I only had the cop on to set up a network drive 2 weeks ago and start saving documents to that ( xp home edition) however it is now pretty full and I still have about 10 gigs valuable of files on the win2k machine, I am very happy with win2k and have purchased a licence for it,however I do not want to go through the process of reinstalling it

I know you can update the key in on the fly the registry in 95/98/mill/2003/xp however I can find no information on win2k, heres the xp hive key in case it brings back memories for anyone on 2k

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

I am currently running Win2k adv server sp4 evauluation, I have been running it for about 80 days now and have only 10 days left!!! I only had the cop on to set up a network drive 2 weeks ago and start saving documents to that ( xp home edition) however it is now pretty full and I still have about 10 gigs valuable of files on the win2k machine, I am very happy with win2k and have purchased a licence for it,however I do not want to go through the process of reinstalling it

I know you can update the key in on the fly the registry in 95/98/mill/2003/xp however I can find no information on win2k, heres the xp hive key in case it brings back memories for anyone on 2k

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents

See what happens when you don't repartition and store your OS and data seperately? Sorry that I can't actually help you though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The trial version is not 2k Home nor 2K pro nor 2K Server - it's 2K Advanced server so the serial would be no use unless it's for advanced server. Normally you could reinstall 2K over the top of a previous install to change the serial and tidy up the reg a bit - but again you could only do that if the upgrade is 2K advanced server.

Psinfo (part of pstools on http://www.sysinternals.com) should tell you if your version is an eval or not. Had a very bad experiance with the NT4 eval version - if you make the boot disks from that CD it will turn an ordinary CD into an eval version - you get one hour of warning 120 days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭de8o

You can "upgrade" your evaluation install to a full install using your new cd. This should keep all your settings and data, but the old cover me in case I'm wrong clause applies, backup all data before trying.

Check this link

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250920

Advertisement