Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any 1 get a Massive bill from esatbt?

• 30-05-2005 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I just got a bill for €1,059. Now the fact that i havent been charged since i got the product in 2003 doesnt matter. But they say that the last bill balance was €950. Also that we have some phone package with them. Which we do not. Any 1 else get this bollox?

Nex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

How or why they would let a debt of that amount run up before they sent out leg breakers is beyond me. The rest of the shower of incompetant telco's start sending threatening emails/making phonecalls if you owe them €50.

Go back over your bank statements and see exactly how much money you have given them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Looks to me that thanks to their incompetance you weren't billed in the first place, however they seem to be cleaning up their act and their accounts department probably noticed that your account wasn't charged in years.

I think you will have to pay up, but only for your present BB contract, the 2003-2004 contract no longer applies and you should be able to get out of paying that although I must admit I'm not learned on the legal implications of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Nexus wrote:
    I just got a bill for €1,059. Now the fact that i havent been charged since i got the product in 2003 doesnt matter. But they say that the last bill balance was €950. Also that we have some phone package with them. Which we do not. Any 1 else get this bollox?

Nex
    I think the best thing to do is document your entire relationship with them - when you first signed up, the payment arrangements you agreed to, the subsequent billing (or lack thereof), any telephone / email queries you sent them etc etc - then mail the lot to bill murphy pointing out the inaccuracies in what they sent you.

When i sent mine, i included the following cover note:
    Mr Murphy,

Please see the attached letter detailing my problems with ESAT BT accounts dept over a number of years; problems which have now culminated with a threat of the instigation of legal proceedings against me over the sum of €152.10. At no time have I received a bill, invoice or statement of any description from ESAT BT for this sum.

I should point out I am in the process of preparing a formal complaint to the Office of the Data Protection Commisioner regarding a request for copies of all records relating to my account held on file by ESAT BT, which was submitted under the Data Protection act last August to your billing department and was completely ignored.

I hope you can bring your influence to bear on these problems.

Thanks in advance,
    me
    It was sorted out within 3 working days (incl a written apology from ESAT)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96025
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199608

hope this helps

edit: I'm attaching the text of the letter i sent to that nice mr murphy in case anyone's interested in the hell i went through with them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Bill is no longer in charge of EsatBT/BTIreland. He's moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

damien.m wrote:
    Bill is no longer in charge of EsatBT/BTIreland. He's moved on.
    uh oh

YOU'RE ALL SCREWED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Also got a bill for €651.05.After an hour on hold I got through to customer support - girl sounded like I wasn't the first to call alright.She basically apologised and gave me the number for their credit control people,who'll be getting an angry call from me first thing in the morning.Will let you know how I get on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 removefiannafai

I got a phone call from them a few weeks after changing over recently,seems they had lost the account number I gave them (the old Eircom one).
    Something is rotten in the State of Denmark,hope they get their act together maybe Eircom have a few inside agents screwing them up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm rather worried about one thing on my BT account.

At the top of the bill it lists our phone numbers, they include old numbers which we have changed years ago (due to mallicious calls) as well as the old 6-digit version of them and the old 6 digit version of my current number.

So, basically I've got 6 numbers printed across the top of my bill. Admittedly, there's never any activity on any of the non-existant numbers but they keep appearing on every bill.

I've told BT / Esat this on numerous occasions (maybe up to 10 times) and they say they'll fix it but never do. (By phone, by email and in writing)

I'm very concerned that when eircom eventually recycles the old numbers adn they go back into service that there's a serious risk I could end up with someone else's calls charged to my account as they're still associated with it.

Just seems a right mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

hummm
    I ordered my broadband around Christmas, finally got it at the end of Feb, anyone know how long the free trial was for or if they ask you if you wanna keep it first, I probably will, but don't want to get a shock like that when I do finally get a bill!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's a three month trial, and I think that's three calender months so not from the date you started but the month in which you started. If you were connected in February then you're three months are Feb, Mar, Apr, in which case you are already in a 12 month contract. The first of those 12 months (May) is also free so you'll be getting charged very soon I should think.

You'll get charged bi-monthly in advance so check your bank/credit card statement to see if it's already being done.

They won't ask you or inform you that you're about to enter the contract as they do this at the start. You'll automatically enter the contract unless you cancel in writing before the trial ends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wirefree

jor el wrote:
    It's a three month trial, and I think that's three calender months so not from the date you started but the month in which you started. If you were connected in February then you're three months are Feb, Mar, Apr, in which case you are already in a 12 month contract. The first of those 12 months (May) is also free so you'll be getting charged very soon I should think.

You'll get charged bi-monthly in advance so check your bank/credit card statement to see if it's already being done.

They won't ask you or inform you that you're about to enter the contract as they do this at the start. You'll automatically enter the contract unless you cancel in writing before the trial ends.
    yeah, this happened to a mate of mine........got bill shock when the first bill appeared on the mat. Rang them up and they were told they should have cancelled in the 3 months. She rang Consumer Affairs. They advised that there was no contract signed and that the purpose of the trial was to evaluate service for 3 months so the T's & C's are weighted unfairly against customer. She just sent back the modem with a covering letter outlining this stuff and told them to go away. They did. Just stand up to them.

Advertisement