Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using BTVoyager2000 with Eircom Broadband

• 30-05-2005 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I am pulling my hair out here. I bought a BT Voyager2000 Wireless ASDL Modem from PC world, can get it talking to my laptop's wireless card no problem but can't for the life of me getting it connected to the internet.

I have Eircom's broadband home service. all the lights on the Modem are correctly lit and the broadband works first time every time I reconnect Eircom's Netopia modem.

I know I am missing something very simple!!!

any advice would be much appreciated

regards

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is the plug wired correctly ?

i.e. British phones often have their RJ11 plugs wired incorrectly (in the same format as a BT phone plug rather than the standard way) as it makes crimping connectors on a bit easier for manufacturers and avoids having to cross the cables over in the plug.

If you've simply replaced the modem's BT line cord with a standard eircom (or US) RJ11 to RJ11 cord you may have a problem.

Plug it in using a BT to RJ11 adaptor using it's original cord this will ensure that the signals are carried on the pins the modem expects them to be on.

(you can pick one of these adaptors up at Atlantic homecare, woodies, B&Q etc etc)

It's just BT being damn awkward and not complying with the defacto world standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seavp1

Thanks,

of course I might be wrong, but I don't think it is the cable as the sync lights & DSL lights on the modem light up correctly when plugged in and reset

P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Log on to your router and make sure it has the correct settings.
    It should be set to use PPPoE with the username eircom and the password broadband1. VPI should be 8 and VCI should be 35. It should be set to use LLC. If you have a choice set it to CHAP.

You should get connected with these settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seavp1

Hi thanks,

that's what I have done, but with no joy, I'll try again.

at least now I know that it should be that simple (should be...LOL!)

thanks again

P

Advertisement