Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Slow Font Listing

• 30-05-2005 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've ignored this problem up to now. I don't even remember when it started happening. Whenever I'm using editing software in Windows XP (SP2) and I select the font I want to use, the application will stall for way too long. There are 278 fonts in the fonts directory; most are true type fonts that came with either Windows XP or Office 2000. I'm not even sure if that's a lot.

Anyway, it can be really irritating when you're just typing something short in Word and you have to wait around 10 - 12 seconds for the font drop down menu to appear. Would anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

exiztone wrote:
    There are 278 fonts in the fonts directory;
    Theres your problem right there. Of course its going to take time when its opening, loading and rendering nearly 300 files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Ah, moved a bunch of them outside the fonts directory where I can manage them with a font managing program. Very odd thing though, Windows automatically put back some of the fonts (not even essential ones, but ones like Bookman & Trebuchet). Anyway, I was looking at it more and I noticed that application like Photoshop there is no lag anymore, but there's still a huge lag from Microsoft Office 2000 applcations. It's fully updated with all the security fixes. I wonder what's wrong. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Only the basic system fonts are essential to youe Windows install. You can store the rest anywhere, and just open them (double-click) when you want to use them.

Advertisement