Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality Carvery Lunch in Dublin

• 30-05-2005 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Was in Dublin City Saturday and needed to get a dinner.

Searched High and Low and came across O'Neills Pub, on Suffock street.

Couldnt get over the carvery lunch being offered up...over 10 choices of hot dinners aswell as a salad bar being served until 10PM!

Anyone recommend any other good pub grub in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

Yeah, O'Neills carvery is the business. I used to go down there nearly every Sunday for my dinner when I lived in the city :D

If you're out Malahide way, Oscar Tailors do a good carvery downstairs in the pub and Smyths on Main Street do good pub grub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

IMO Carvery is greatest abomination to food in this country. Damp, soggy vegetables sitting there for hours getting stodgier and stodgier, roast beef (usually) sitting under a blowtorch for hours steadily drying out. Ugh the thoughts of it would make me sick.

I want to start a campaign to ban carveries I hate them so much!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

Not a fan of the carvery experience myself, but the lads in college and the lads I work with now all swear by the carvery in MacTurcaills and I think I've heard them say that the Long Stone is pretty good too. They're next door to each other on Townsend Street :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dossininwork

If you get there there in the first few mins of opening, its grand. After that its all downhill. No fault of the chefs, its just holding the food. O'Neils is one of the best and for a tenner, it aint half bad at all. Its quick easy grub, but afetr i have dinner from one, I always want to fall asleep in work after. Too heavy for lunch unless im hungover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

ROFL. Yah, I hate carveries too. So primitive and uncouth. Nothing less than champagne and fois-gras will do for me on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

TBH I think o'neills is pretty mank!! The roast potatoes are usually one notch down from defrosted. The mash potatoes are wet and disgusting.

The veg taste like microwave packs.

The meat is grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Madigan's on O'Connell St beside the Gresham hotel was fantasic last time I was in it two years ago. If they still have the same cook/chef then it should still be great, especially the roast lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

McGowans of Phibsbro, a tenner gets a massive plateful and either soup or a desert, plus a cupa afterwards. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

Also in phibs - check out the woodstock cafe - its a cavery but with extra options for vegetarians also - best roast beef dinner in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

tallpaul wrote: »
    IMO Carvery is greatest abomination to food in this country. Damp, soggy vegetables sitting there for hours getting stodgier and stodgier, roast beef (usually) sitting under a blowtorch for hours steadily drying out. Ugh the thoughts of it would make me sick.

I want to start a campaign to ban carveries I hate them so much!!!

Carvery can be like that, but it really depends where you go. Now and again I have carvery on a sunday in The Coachman's on the Swords Road near the airport and it is excellent. They tend to be very busy so the food is turned over quickly, and doesn't get a chance to go damp, soggy or anything else. Have had it a few times and top marks every time.

In the city centre I've had carvery in Messrs Maguire a few times and found it pretty decent. O'Neills I found pretty average and I'm surprised it's getting such praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

aidan24326 wrote: »
    The Coachman's on the Swords Road near the airport and it is excellent.

Went there recently and have to say I thought it was the worst ever - so bad I left it there. Maybe they had an off day though so might give it another chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

What about 'roast in a roll' in Gruel or similar in Christophes in the Epicurean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

carvery can be very hit and miss.in my experience you need to get there early and also a place thats busy should help as the food wont be sitting around for ages.macturtailles is grand and the ripley hotel on talbot st is nice and it costs €8.50/€9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭straricco

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Now and again I have carvery on a sunday in The Coachman's on the Swords Road near the airport and it is excellent. They tend to be very busy so the food is turned over quickly, and doesn't get a chance to go damp, soggy or anything else. Have had it a few times and top marks every time.

Been a few times to Coachmans, not that impressed with it! You do get lots of food but its quite tasteless! Wouldn't be rushing back thats for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

TBH I think o'neills is pretty mank!! The roast potatoes are usually one notch down from defrosted. The mash potatoes are wet and disgusting.

The veg taste like microwave packs.

The meat is grand.
    I agree 100% with this O'Neills carvery is desperate.

The Barbican in Castleknock used to be superb, but the last few times I went it was less than stellar.

The Millhouse in Stillorgan isn't bad, Ashtons in Clonskeagh is also decent.

Advertisement