Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American PSP

• 30-05-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭

Firstly apologies if this is a redundant thread but I am unable to find the answers to exactly what I want:

I'm going to the states. Should I buy a PSP there or not. If i do will there be region problems back here..

If this has already been answered could you please point me to it..

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Well it will be region 1, so if you ever want to watch european UMD movies you cant.

For games however it is region free....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Pardon my ignorance whats a UMD movie???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Games from anywhere in the world will work no problem.

However, if you intend on buying movies for your PSP (UMD is the format they use, like smaller DVDs), then only American movies will play on an American PSP. To be honest I wouldn't say your missing much there, you can download and play movies from the memory stick if you really want to and it's hardly the machines main purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Board@Work wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance whats a UMD movie???
    well thats a first [only joking ;) ]

http://www.dvdsoon.com/umd/index.xml

probly not the best answer but if in dought try google

The PSP's medium is UMD (universal Media Disk) for games. So sony are releasing Films on these UMD's. So its like watching a dvd on your PSP only its only designed for a PSP, or in the future standalone players.

Not a major problem imo, as the films are about $35, and you can only watch it on a relatively small screen. Anyway you could always import :)

• Advertisement

So guys whats your opinion..

should I buy one or not??

Yep :)

Also will I need to buy a new charger when I get back???

No, the charger is universal, however you need to unplug the cable and replace it with a generic "8 figure" plug. like an xbox power cable or something....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Or just get an adaptor maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aerialhead

...and it rocks!!

The thing is damn cool. I splurged, and paid over the odds at Mr Calculator in Dublin. He is importing them from both the US and Japan.

But it is worth it to have one three months ahead of everyone else, and even then they will sell out in feck-all time.

The graphics on the games are pretty cool (I got FIFA Soccer and Ridge Racer), and the movie trailers and music videos on the sampler disc are DVD quality.

The battery DOES last for up to 5 hours for games and actually has a stopwatch count-down timer on it for power, not just a battery icon.

I haven't gotten around to sync-ing it with my pc yet, but it is supposed to work with any USB2 cable with a Mini-B connection at one end.

I've only had it three days and am already in love.

Though my next task is to buy a transparent plastic screen protector, so I don't scratch the beejaysuz out of it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

how much did u pay for the american version in mr. calculator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aerialhead

I paid €369 for the PSP, but I think he has dropped the price again by €10 or €20.

He was charging €70 per game, and I bought two, and he knocked €40 off the total price.

I agree, it IS expensive, but I don't regret it.

I got the screen protector (just a transparent plastic rectangle that sticks neatly to the front), and that cost €11.95, but is a lot better then getting a huge scratch and hating it. :eek:

Just to update I bought it in Best Buy for $250. Thats €207 so mr calculator is making some nice money on that..

Christ it is deadly. I bought a few movies and games.

Now I have another question. Where can I buy games. I tried all the major UK based websites and they cant release till september.. boo hiss..

any suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

www.videogamesplus.ca
    www.tronixweb.com
    www.play-asia.com

You will have to import all your games like the PSP itself.

Ciaran500 wrote:

They games aren't regionised are they??

or do you mean i'll have to import till the release date of sept..

You will have to import till Euro release.

Region locked games are a possibilty but more than likely they will all be region free like USA/JPN games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 <IRISHBOY>

Buy a xbox not a gaystation.playstations are for noobs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Board@Work wrote:
    Just to update I bought it in Best Buy for $250. Thats €207 so mr calculator is making some nice money on that..

Christ it is deadly. I bought a few movies and games.

Now I have another question. Where can I buy games. I tried all the major UK based websites and they cant release till september.. boo hiss..

any suggestions

best buy? where is that based? did you get done for import duty? www.cdwow.ie are doing games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Bestbuy are all over the states, check out the store locator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You will have to import all your games like the PSP itself.

the games are region free apart from japanese:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58810

the games are region free apart from japanese:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58810
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    You will have to import till Euro release.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

;) yourself.

we were both right! :D

Advertisement