Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB+ issues

• 30-05-2005 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, I've been reading this
    forum for a long time and find it very helpful.

It is my turn now to ask a couple of questions regarding IBB+:
    1. I sign up for BT Broadband before 4 april, teoretically on previous
    terms and conditions and price list. Soon my free trial period will
    expire and I wonder whether they will want to charge me for installation
    and bill me then with figures before 4 april?
    2. My broadand usage meter stopped in the middle of the last month,
    now is showing 0.00GB. Is it because of trial period? Well, it would be
    great if I could estimate my usage and then choose appropriate plan...
    Anyone is having problems with it too?
    3. I use some p2p programs (not heavily at all) and already got a
    warning phone call from BT to stop sharing some files. Are they serious?
    Is such a surveillance common with other ISPs?

Thank for answers!
    Cheers,
    Luck

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Standard procedure which I will use if IBB ever ask me about P2P activity:

1) Who has complained? If they're an Irish Authority (eg IRMA) then yes, if they are based in the US I will inform my ISP that they've no right and no need to heed this organisation (RIAA/MPAA).

2) If I don't take it down what will they do?

3) Remind them that under the data protection act they may not give my details to anybody other than a law-enforcement organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

esat wont be able to charge u the old rates..they dont apply anymore afaik.

yes there is a major crack down on p2p stuff..every isp is getting contacted...mostly from american orgainistaions...they are automated emails so they dont know where the isp is located around the world.

the irma said they are starting too but not sure if they have...they prob only heard about the internet in last few months..these are the same retards that tried to stop cdwow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Luck

Red Alert wrote:
    1) Who has complained? If they're an Irish Authority (eg IRMA) then yes, if they are based in the US I will inform my ISP that they've no right and no need to heed this organisation (RIAA/MPAA).

They said it was Paramount or something :rolleyes:
    Have they no right? Why is that? Maybe in the name of Esat's own T&C?
    Just wondering if all ISP here are so sensitive and want to loose clients
    for some maniacs across the pond?
    2) If I don't take it down what will they do?

Disconnect me.
    3) Remind them that under the data protection act they may not give my details to anybody other than a law-enforcement organisation.

Big brother says this IP is bad and they take immidiate action on me.
    No details passed here I guess...

Cheers,
    Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Luck wrote:
    3. I use some p2p programs (not heavily at all) and already got a
    warning phone call from BT to stop sharing some files. Are they serious?
    Is such a surveillance common with other ISPs?

I don't think BT intentionally spies on you. However, I would worry a bit in your case. What most probably happened is your IP address was recorded by a trap P2P upload client set up by people who want to make an example trial case of you. Then they ring BT and say "we represent big nasty american company XXX, please tell user with IP address X.X.X.X that he/she should not download these files". Most probably, BT did not release your name to these people. Or may be it did and you will be in trouble. But anyway BT wants to cover its ass, to show these nasty people from over the sea that it does not encourage dowloading of "their" stuff, so it warns you. Just to able to say later -- when and if those nasty people get a warrant to get your name and details from BT -- that BT warned you and it is not BT's fault.

If possible, change the provider. Learn to mask your IP or stop using P2P. Write a registered letter to BT asking who and when asked them to contact you and what files where involved. Delete them using rewriting program. Flee to Eastern Europe and live under a different name.

Or may be I just being a bit paranoid. Surely they won't get you here, in Ireland? What the worst they can do, anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

had similar problem.

did the whole data protection thing.
    apparently they can't do anything except nag you to death and they re=assured my that thats only to get the company off their backs.

Infact even thelikes of paramount can't o anything because what they did waas entrapment and is illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement