Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Come on, evangalise your distro to me...

• 30-05-2005 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭

My Knoebuntu horrible frankenstein on this laptop is now crufty to the point on unusable, and I will in one or two days have the right optical drive to boot CD's finally, so I can move distros, finally

I'm pretty well versed in Linux (and unix in general) this stage, and I want to go for a non-newbie distro. Did I mention it has to support FTP install (can't download files >300MB reliably...)

I'll use anything that support the intricities of my hardware - currently it seems none of the BSD's do, only Windows, BeOS and Linux have the Sony drivers needed

So evangelise away - tell me why I should use whatever distro you push all the time. I want recent software, but stability also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Debian/Fedora would be the front runners, of the 2 i'd be a debian fan... it has some nice business card iso's for network installing
    (faster to download stuff for me than copy it off a cd...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

MYOB wrote:
    I'm pretty well versed in Linux (and unix in general) this stage, and I want to go for a non-newbie distro. Did I mention it has to support FTP install (can't download files >300MB reliably...)

This sentance just screams gentoo at me ;) Give it a try, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yeah, gentoo all the way baby XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

MYOB wrote:
    .....non-newbie distro......FTP install......recent software.....

Arch Linux

Also
    MYOB wrote:
    can't download files >300MB reliably...

arch-0.7-base.iso is 214MB.

No evangelising here - enjoy whatever you end up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ishnid

If you're actively desiring to get `down and dirty' with a non-newbie distro, I'd second (third?) Gentoo. The package management (portage) is *excellent* and the community at http://forums.gentoo.org is outstanding.

As an alternative - any thing debian-based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Gentoo or slackware. I'd think slack is harder in the long run due to it's very poor automated package system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭de8o

Just my €0.02. I use SUSE 9.2 I use it all the time and so do my family. (Even my 5 year old son). I will try the new version of debian if and when it is released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I use Gentoo. Generally not user friendly to set up, but its running, a toddler could maintain it. Rock solid as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I installed ubuntu at home last week. It's a debian spinoff. "Linux for human beings" is the slogan. Absolutely delighted with it. Even the mrs and son love it. It's a very lightweight install, but there is a script available for downloading a bunch of "essentials" (cd burning progs, etc.) here.

The forums at www.ubuntuforums.org are very busy too.

Edit: The default apt-get repository is "recent but stable". You said you were looking for that :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I recently installed Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 6000. Lovely install - all the hardware seems to be working perfectly, including the widescreen display and built-in WiFi. Also, the installer was able to shrink the NTFS partition effortlessly for a painless dual-boot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Knoppix 3.9 is out. And it picks up some SATA drives that 3.8 didn't

Doesn't appear to have the megaraid driver built in though..

(3.8 could only pick them up after a soft reboot from XP or 2.4 Kernel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

oscarBravo wrote:
    Also, the installer was able to shrink the NTFS partition effortlessly for a painless dual-boot.

OMG! That's QUALITY.

I too was well impressed with the ease of install. I chose the "automatic" install mind you :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Gentoo or slack mainly, i found slackware to be very stable but once I wanted to integrate LDAP auth it had to go. Gentoo's great - the ebuild system is to die for.

At the moment i'm in a BSD phase - my file server currently runs FreeBSD and the to-be-built firewall/remote login/web server will run OpenBSD 3.7. I like the ease of use of FreeBSD, once installed it just works.

Laptop: Dual boot WinXP/Gentoo
    Desktop: Dual boot WinXP/Gentoo
    File Server: FreeBSD 5.4

If I was trying to convert a corporate person like my dad i'd recommend Novell Suse Linux.

Advertisement