Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTrip Illegal ?

Options
  • 30-05-2005 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I have an iPod mini and was think about getting an iTrip. Came across it on a few sites before but didin't bother to buy it. Happened to be in a 3G store a week or so ago and went in to buy one. The sales guy I was talking to said that they are illegal in Ireland. Couldn't give me a definite reason, thinks it is to do with the possible broadcasting of music to cars within close proximity to you on the same station.
    Is this true?
    Anyway, told me to just buy it online :)
    Can anyone recommend me site, decent price and delivery service/

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

It is technically classed as a pirate radio station, since you're transmitting on a frequency band (albeit not very far) that requires you to pay for a licence. Irish law does not take the range into consideration. This may make them difficult to sell here, but you're not going to get locked up for using one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Yup as above, but the thing is its legal to buy sell and own them but to use them its not, yet another of the dumb laws in this world, if they did this with drugs there would be war!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ah right. Just wondering.
    Prob pick one up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rabies wrote:
    Ah right. Just wondering.
    Prob pick one up soon.

Course there's always the problem that the quality is awfull. One of th elads in work had one in a while back. The ipod was left on a counter around 3-4 feet from the radio and the signal was poor to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

the airplay one looks good - ive had an iTrip for the last while and its work flawlessly - works through wall and everything. The quality is never going to blow you away but its easily good enough considering it coming out of a cheap radio (in my case) plus they are only about 30e on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i have the belkin tunecast II. it has its own battery and the quality is much better than the iTrip. the iTrip takes its power from the ipod but the belkin has its own battery. it also has a car power adapter with it. the itrip only works with the ipod because of the connection but the belkin is a mini jack connecter so it can transmit anything with a headphone socket. pick them up on ebay for dirt cheap. i bought mine in the states for $40 new.

moe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭shacko

Does anybody know is there a similar option avaliable for Creative Labs zen jukebox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

afaik all fm transmitters will work with anything with a headphone socket with the exception of the iTrip which needs the ipod for its power

moe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Didn't know it takes its power from the iPod. Must search for alternatives to the iTrip.
    Are most FM transmitters compatible with the iPod mini?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

yeah the iTrip can be a bit of a battery hog, coupled with you having to have the ipod's volume up full - its not good for overall battery life, grand if you are only going to be using it for an hour or two every now an again though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

If you live in Dublin there is a shop on Aungier Street known as "Back from the Future" They will sell you something similar that will do the job of the Itrip

Advertisement