Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows 2000 Update / Installation problem

• 30-05-2005 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas - I have an 8 year old gateway with Win 98 on it and I am trying to load Windows 2000 onto it. Whenever I insert the disk, it enters into the installation program through DOS (when CD Is put in and PC is restarted). It goes through a few setup procedures and then says "Setup is detecting your hardware configuration" and then just hangs - nothing happens.

I've tried many times to reload, reformatting the disk, repartitioning etc. but to of no avail.

Anyone any ideas on what could be wrong?
    Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Check your hardware against the Hardware Compatability List on the MS site. What is the Spec of the PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

It goes through a few setup procedures and then says "Setup is detecting your hardware configuration" and then just hangs - nothing happens.

How long did you wait? I've seen this take 10 minutes on old machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Mossess wrote:
    Check your hardware against the Hardware Compatability List on the MS site. What is the Spec of the PC?
    once the pc has the space and mb ram its fine, you could get xp onto it if it had 128 and 1.5gb drive space (and i have proof of that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

what type of gateway is it , does it have a promise IDE controller in there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Specs, well its 8 years old :D

166MHz pentium MMX (yeah not even p2)
    40gb hard disk
    128mb RAM

Not too sure about the IDE controller tbh - will check later.

In answer to how long I've waited, I left the PC on overnight at one stage and it still had that message the following morning...

I will also check the Hardware compatibility on the MS website - thanks for all the suggestions.

• Advertisement

it doesn't have a promise controller in it , sounds like the aladin motherboard although how you are getting a 40gb hdd to work needs answering first before futher discussion , did a pc shop fit this at some stage for you ?

actually more like a mailman or mailman II board

formatman wrote:
    it doesn't have a promise controller in it , sounds like the aladin motherboard although how you are getting a 40gb hdd to work needs answering first before futher discussion , did a pc shop fit this at some stage for you ?

No its actually a "G-Man" Gateway board - I got the 40GB HDD to work because I updated the BIOS. Everything I did with the PC in terms of upgrading was done myself - no shop or computer store or anything ever touched it.

there was something odd about the GMAN board , I think a few of them had dodgy components which restricted you to use cerain types of SDRAM timing , it could be this that the installation is picking up and falling over on ...

Well I'm going to try install the Win 2000 temporarily on a mates Compaq computer, see if it will install or is it just a dodgy CD.

TBH, I think the PC has seen better days anyway and it has got a lot of abuse over the years.

Thanks for all the suggestions - much appreciated.
    Pain in the arse that its not working though. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement