Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Computer goes jerky when burning

• 30-05-2005 11:38pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I cna't remember whree i changed the settings before for doing this
    got amd 3100xp, 768mb ram,
    pioneer 109 dvd-r & lg 48x write speed
    when im burning computer goes real jerky, says its burning at 48x but its not cuse it takes longer, and when trying to burn a dvd at 8x it must be burning at 1 or something takes about half an hour
    what settigns could be wrong?
    using w2k, with nero as the burning software

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you get the same problem if you copy large amounts of data, say moving an iso from one hard drive to another?

Have you installed any new hardware recently(ish)?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

there is only one hd in this computer but I put another one in there last night, the problem was happening before i put the other one in, i find extracting rar files takes longer than on my other computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

most likely down to the DMA setting in device manager for each HDD controller , proabably set to PIO mode

Did you add new hdd or cdrom lately?

what are they are set to at the moment , sometimes you need to remove the hdd controllers and restart to get the correct setting if it doesn't take ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

formatman wrote:
    most likely down to the DMA setting in device manager for each HDD controller , proabably set to PIO mode

Did you add new hdd or cdrom lately?

what are they are set to at the moment , sometimes you need to remove the hdd controllers and restart to get the correct setting if it doesn't take ,

I had that problem with the dma settings,
    this mite help
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251516

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

By saying remove the ide control, should I "uninstall" it in safe mode?

• Advertisement

OK, I disabled the ide secondary and set it to dma(one of them was already set) and now I cna burn cd's grand.
    but the dvd-r is still takin about 20mins or so so burn a dvd. would be the ide primary(i thought this was the hd) cause that is still in pio mode and computer is still goin jerky when burning a dvd-r

what device is on what controller ?

CD and DVD on secondary ?

have the DVD as say slave off 2nd IDE controller , not ideal but better than slaving off the 1st with HDD as master

is the hdd alone on the priomary controller ?

I hvae the dvd set as master and the cdr set as slave on one ide
    and the the other two hd's on the other ide

which controller though , HDD's should be on primary etc

what the PIO /DMA settings now of each one

DVD and CDRW should say ULTRA DMA 2
    HDD1 and HDD2 should be at least ULtra DMA 4 if not 5 or 6

Right, lookings in the ide/ata contorlers primary ide is set to pio mode(upper and lower one in it)
    secondardy is set to ultra dma mode(upper and lower on aswell)

• Advertisement

thats the start of the problem anyway , Your hdds are on primary IDE I'm assuming now as you didn't confirm

remove the reference in device manager to the primary IDe controller , right click , and choose uninstall .and restart the machine and up date the post , confirm which controller the hdd's are on though !

How can I confirm which ide the hd's are on? have looked around..
    Its deffo safe to uninstall primary ide? it'll automaticly re-install its self on boot and change to wuich option suits it better?

the connecter on the motherboards will say for example ide 0 primary ide 1 (secondary )

it will pick it back up so it can be removed , they may be other steps afte this one

I think I get what you mean..
    I am looking at the primary ide connecter, its location says 0, and the option to disable it is blanked out so I'm assuming thats the harddrive?

I meant inside the machine , but it seems the hdd is on primary from what you describe

can you change the PIO mode on the hdd to use DMA if available , if so , d so on both location 0 and 1 in device manager and reboot

I set the primary to ide one there aswell to dma, and burning dvds is grand.
    strage i did all this already and it didn't seem to work :)
    thanks for your help :)

Advertisement