Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive and heat

Options
  • 30-05-2005 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Just added a 200gb drive into a Dell 4550. Need it for storage. Sloted extra drive next to original 60gb. Just wondering what the story is with regard to heat. Long term should I be concerned ? Should I consider refitiing drive elsewhere or adding fan to keep cool ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Get some SMART monitoring software to check on their temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You could get a hard-drive cooler.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Or you could stick a fan onto the HD cage if your Dell allows it (doubtful). I've got 2 Antec 120mm case fans if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭r00t69

Simply having two HDD next to each other should not by itself cause heat problems. Dell ship systems with multible HDD installed.

Considering you have no options to overclock your Dell system there is unlikely to be any current cooling issues as is, so adding a HDD will not cause this to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Pity they havent sorted the RAID and SMART problem, would be handy

• Advertisement
Advertisement