Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

putting Star Wars into context (rant alert!)

• 31-05-2005 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I have been Star Wars crazy, as most of you have, over the month, with the finale and all, but the other day, just for a change, I decided to re-watch Reservoir Daog, and it was amazing, never before have I appreciated the quality of acting, screenplay and and script in that film.

I mean Star Wars is good, but when compared to a masterpiece like Reservoir Dogs, there is no contest. if you look at it, Episode III had a monster of a budget, and Reservoir Dogs, even for its time, was on a shoestring budget, but the quality and watchability that comes with that film is astounding, it really goes to show that a big budget doesn't make a great film, in the same way that astounding graphics don't make an astounding game, I mean sure you will be amazed when you play it the first time, but when you go to play it again you get bored, or I do atleast.

and I find it a lot more fun and exciting debating about various parts of Reservoir Dogs with ppl, for example the loyalty between Mr. White and Mr. Orange than I do in deciding who is Anakin's father, I mean I debated that on here, but in retrospect it was stupid, just face facts, Lucas didn't think it through enough, he covered up most bases, but there are still a few things he missed

anyway sorry for the rant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Youre comparing reservoir dogs to star wars.....riiiiiiight. Who ever said big budgets = good films. Ive never heard anyone make that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tusky wrote:
    Youre comparing reservoir dogs to star wars.....riiiiiiight. Who ever said big budgets = good films. Ive never heard anyone make that statement.

I believe it's the mantra of marketing executives and movie executives in Hollywood.

It's far easier to argue that big budgets make for poorer films imo. But that's subjective really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What a bizarre thread.

Yeah, I was watching Gone with the Wind there, and its good and all, but its no Starship Troopers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Hahahaha.. it's a shame they got rid of rep on boards.. you'd be getting some from me right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

And when you compare RD to the Blair Witch Project you can see what a waste of money Dogs was!

Since '99 I just can't watch Reservoir Dogs without being offended by its overblown production values.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

lol!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pigman II wrote:
    And when you compare RD to the Blair Witch Project you can see what a waste of money Dogs was!.
    And let's be honest, since 'Tarnation' came out, you can't help but be disgusted by every other movie and documentary's budget ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Since I watched the video tape of my nephew's first holy communion last week I can't... etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Well, since I watched my intestinal tract endoscopy I can't help but feel that the entire movie industry has gone all glitz and glamour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

since I woke up from that dream about my family last night....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

oh man *reinforces flame shield* she won' hold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

The Interweb - where no-life losers make lame jokes again and again and again and again, since 1995

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

"Mr Pink...I am your father."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Id watch Episode III over reservior dogs any day

tarantino sucks ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DarkPassage

nadir wrote:

tarantino sucks ass

for the 'Special' effects, if that film had none and just relied on story/dialog it would be what it is, pure ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

nadir wrote:

tarantino sucks ass
    no way in hell does Tarantino suck ass, Kill Bill just was not up to his standard IMHO, but Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are pure works of art! (I have yet to see Jackie Brown)

You know if I had his email addy I'd send this thread to my former English lecturer, who was always comparing and deep/close reading texts[read movies] in unusual and cryptic ways.
    Twas refreshing, if taking a little getting used to at first*

That said I saw star wars early last week and enjoyed it but I also saw nemesis for the second time last week.I'd probably watch nemesis a third time later on in the year before I'd watch Sith for a second time.

*We had to get used to it , if we were to pass our exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

"Mr Pink...I am your father."
    ROFL :D:D

All he is saying is that Star Wars is an over rated bunch of movies. I can't see what's so hard to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Marts wrote:
    no way in hell does Tarantino suck ass, Kill Bill just was not up to his standard IMHO, but Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are pure works of art! (I have yet to see Jackie Brown)

Jackie Brown is his best film imho, as in the only one that is original, Kill bill sucked (I really really do not dig this 'tribute' lark), Reservior dogs is a mish mash of his stuff and rip off's , pulp fiction was allright.
    Basically I reckon he's ok when he's doing stuff like Jackie Brown.
    But even then I dont really like his style, I mean its all right, just like whay overrated imo, there is so much better stuff around.

Advertisement