Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 Wheels or 4??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

if your da doesnt have any bike ncb or a bike full license his insurance will likely be the same as yours.

then youll have to pay extra to get yourself covered on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Chalk wrote:
    if your da doesnt have any bike ncb or a bike full license his insurance will likely be the same as yours.

then youll have to pay extra to get yourself covered on it.

Ok, but he's like 50 so it would be a bit cheaper, no?

He has a couple of years NCB on the car/truck license too, would that not make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

He has a couple of years NCB on the car/truck license too, would that not make a difference?

No, it has to be a NCB on a bike AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

you can check on hiberniandirect.ie
    itll still give you a rough quote.

no matter how old your dad is the total will still come to the full amount for your insurance, if not more

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Back in the day, Hibernian's policy on it was to quote for the most expensive named driver, then add 33% for the 2nd driver.

So yeah, basically it's probably going to cost you more to be a named driver than it would be on your own.

Bikes and cars are very different insurance wise. Bike insurance is far more rigid and narrow in scope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

a_ominous wrote:
    Regarding the weather: I've been on 2 wheels in Dublin traffic for 5 winters now, cycling and now motorbike. I recall one winter where I didn't have to use any rain gear on the pushbike. It did rain, but not during my commute (regular office hours). If the rain looks like a short shower, you delay your journey 15 minutes and go home then. On a scooter or motorbike, extra clothing is essential. You'll cool off quickly in winter time because you're not moving. You'll cool down 20 or so times quicker when you get wet (or some factor like that, watch Discovery channel ;) ) Bottom line: weather isn't that big an issue. You're gonna get wet waiting at a bus stop.

There was an article in yesterday's Irish Times and it had some figures for the number of days it rained. The figures were commuter gets wet on 0.6% of trips in morning and 0.4% in the evening. When rain threshold is changed to include drizzle (which in my experience is still wet), the chance is 5% in the morning and 4% in the evening.
    5% = 1 day in 20, about once a month. That's a minor inconvenience.

No link as I'm not an online subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭japjap

Well, did you decide on which bike to get?

Advertisement