Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Rental

Options
  • 31-05-2005 5:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was looking at renting a car from Europcar when i go on holiday next year. There requirement say i need a license for a year before i can rent. I will only have my license 5 months by the time i go on holiday.

Does anyone know from previous experience if they will let me rent considering ive had my provisional for 2 years before my full license? are rental companies lenient in anyway.

It doesnt even say that i need a full license on there website.

http://www.europcar.co.uk/tools/faq_rental.html#06

Id appreciate any help.

Cheers

JC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

email them and print off their reply as proof (if needs be) when it comes to picking up the car.
    i cannot answer from personal experience as anytime I've done it I've had my licence over the 1 year minimum requirement, but i do know that its full licence or nothing.

i dont think they'd have the 1year min. rule if they were just going to let everyone away with it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

there shouldn't be a problem ... I did it a few years ago with a license that was only 4 months old. If the refuse, just go to the next desk at the airport and more than likely they will rent you a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Overflow wrote:
    It doesnt even say that i need a full license on there website.

http://www.europcar.co.uk/tools/faq_rental.html#06
    Contrary to the unenforced laws here, in the UK a provisional licence is exactly that, i.e. something you have purely in order to learn to drive, and therefore doesn't count for anything in terms of driving experience. The UK Europcar site doesn't mention that you need a full licence because nobody in their right mind in the UK would consider, even for a microsecond, renting a car to a learner driver, so they probably thought it wasn't necessary to even mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I rented an Audi A4 cabrio last summer over in the Canaries and did a bit of enquiring prior to going there. I found that most rental companies there had rules that you had to have a full licence for 2 years and had to be 21 years of age or over in order to be covered by their insurance.

Don't know if this applies to your suituation or not. Also found that the rental companies at the airport were more expensive than the local companies.

Advertisement