Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

SUS Querey

• 31-05-2005 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

I have SUS running, but it appears that the client has to be at the very least a local Admin for the updates to deploy.

My key settings seem ok, I think?
    Anyone got any ideas?

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time: 7/21/2004 - 1:57 PM
    Value 0
    Name: NoAutoUpdate
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Data: 0x0

Value 1
    Name: AUOptions
    Data: 0x4

Value 2
    Name: NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
    Data: 0x1

Value 3
    Name: RescheduleWaitTime

Value 4
    Name: ScheduledInstallDay
    Data: 0x0

Value 5
    Name: ScheduledInstallTime
    Data: 0x4

Value 6
    Name: UseWUServer

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is a working Reg file to compare with
    - run on local pc as Admin once then updates at 3am
    I prefer to use IP rather than name so no DNS/WINS worries.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "WUServer"="http://192.168.x.y/&quot;
    "WUStatusServer"="http://192.168.x.y/&quot;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:0000003B
    "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
    "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000004
    "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
    "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000003
    "UseWUServer"=dword:00000001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Is there any way to get it to run without being an Admin?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An admin needs to click on the reg file once - after that it autoupdates if the services are running. - You can even use AT / PSEXEC & REG.EXE to do remote admin additions to the reg so you don't even to go to the PC. But you do need to have admin rights since you're making changes to the OS.

I have the changes made as an admin. Everything seems OK. I log out, check back at different intervels to see if the updates have taken effect, nothing. Then if I log back in as an Admin, after 5 minutes it pops up saying updates are ready to be installed. Very strange.
    I'm beging to think I might have to splash out on something like LanGuard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭de8o

from what I understand of AUOption when it is set to 4.

If an admin logs in the balloon will appear, or as one of my workmates likes to call it, the microsoft sick parrott appears.

However if a non-admin is logged in they won't get the sick parrott and the install will happen at the scheduled time.

a good site to check is
    SUSSERVER.COM

• Advertisement

Been checking that site, can't see what I'm doing wrong. I've run Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer against the PC before applying registry update, then after. Then 12 hours after, then over 24 hours after. No changes. If a Sys admin logs in however it goes ahead. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭de8o

Is the machine logged in at 4 am? Try changing this to something like 17 or something more suitable. Restart services or reboot.

Don't forget you need to have service packs installed for it to work
    2000 Sp3 / XP Sp1

If not then download the Client from..
    www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx

Some are on, some are off, I'm thinking that either way after reboot it should, in theory, start the downloads. They are fairly well Serviced packed as it is. nothing below SP4. I've got it on about 90 to 100 pc's so I'm lost at this stage.

I think it might be time to bite the bullet and spend a grand on LANGuard! :(

Copy the patch to the PC and the remote execute it using various options.
    The painfull bit of this is that microsoft were fond of using different syntax on earlier patches.

[php]net view | Find "\\">List
    for /F "delims=\ " %%i in (list) do call Patch.bat %%i[/php]
    REM Patch.bat
    psinfo \\%1 -h >

REM to apply reg settings 
    psexec \\%1 cmd /c reg.exe import Patch.reg

psexec -i -c \\%1 Windows2000-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE /passive /p
    psexec -i -c \\%1 WindowsNT4Workstation-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE -m -z

REM to apply XP SP2 
    xcopy xpsp2.exe \\%1\c$\*.* /D /Y
    soon \\192.168.10.%1 65 /interactive c:\xpsp2.exe /passive /O /F

shutdown \\%1 /R /Y /C /t:99