Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nihilism

• 31-05-2005 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

I found somewhere a definition of nihilism that read:
    Nihilism, in fact, can be understood in several different ways. Political Nihilism, as noted, is associated with the belief that the destruction of all existing political, social, and religious order is a prerequisite for any future improvement. Ethical nihilism or moral nihilism rejects the possibility of absolute moral or ethical values. Instead, good and evil are nebulous, and values addressing such are the product of nothing more than social and emotive pressures. Existential nihilism is the notion that life has no intrinsic meaning or value, and it is, no doubt, the most commonly used and understood sense of the word today.
    I wrote it down at the time because i just felt that it summarised my beliefs.
    I've never studied philosophy.
    If I were to pursue my understanding of Nihilism, can anybody recommend any books? Maybe i should read some Nietzsche but to be honest, some books make boring reading and i'd like to find something that is interesting and illuminating, and at my level.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The Wikipedia entry on Nihilism may be of interest to you. It explains a fair few things and also has a list of external links and books on the subject at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

Nihilists- Believe in Nothing!!

They are not necessarily wrong nor can i say they are right!!!

I like their stance on politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Who's Niall?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jman0 wrote:
    Uh, which branch summarised your beliefs?

And don't forget The Big Lebowski. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Nihilists- Believe in Nothing!!
    I lost my faith in Nihilism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

So now you have something???

Or now you have faith in less than nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Uh, which branch summarised your beliefs?

And don't forget The Big Lebowski. ;)
    From my first post: political, ethical, and particularly existensial.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Has anybody ever met someone older than 20 who seriously considered theselves to be nihilists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

yes - but I didn't believe them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Neuro wrote:
    Has anybody ever met someone older than 20 who seriously considered theselves to be nihilists?
    Well I believe that "life has no intrinsic meaning or value", and I'm over 20.

Does that make me a nihilist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

DadaKopf wrote:
    Who's Niall?

Its pronounced Neye-hill-iz-um?
    I don't believe this! There's me going around saying nih-hil-is-em... Boy do i feel stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Feownah

Nihilism, in fact, can be understood in several different ways. Political Nihilism, as noted, is associated with the belief that the destruction of all existing political, social, and religious order is a prerequisite for any future improvement. Ethical nihilism or moral nihilism rejects the possibility of absolute moral or ethical values. Instead, good and evil are nebulous, and values addressing such are the product of nothing more than social and emotive pressures. Existential nihilism is the notion that life has no intrinsic meaning or value, and it is, no doubt, the most commonly used and understood sense of the word today.

And there was me thinking it was a word for pleasure seekers who were low on morals, if that was the case most over 20's would consider themselves nihilistic, but obviously my definition needs revision. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Ozzy wrote:
    Its pronounced Neye-hill-iz-um?
    I don't believe this! There's me going around saying nih-hil-is-em... Boy do i feel stupid!
    Ah no, I pronounce it "NIH-HIL-ISM".

I'm off to Vienna in two weeks. Looking forward to have a coffee in Café Nihilismus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Feownah wrote:
    And there was me thinking it was a word for pleasure seekers who were low on morals, if that was the case most over 20's would consider themselves nihilistic, but obviously my definition needs revision. :o

That's hedonism.

see here
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hedonism
    , or, better still, here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonism

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement