Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spirited away.

• 31-05-2005 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭

I picked up spirited away on DVD for 3 euro yesterday cause id heard so much about it being amazing and one of the best cartoons ever. ITS FúCKIN WEIRD! really was lost for a lot of it cause its just odd. people were saying its a classic. it wasgood but for a cartoon movie it just didnt have memorable characters or moments.

whats your opinions on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

I think that it is one of the most jaw dropping films that I have ever seen. I enjoyed every moment of it. Any scene in the bath house constantly amazed me.

Wonderful wonderful film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The baby and the No-face aren't memorable enough for you?

I really just love the amount of imagination that has been put into it. US cartoons and films are so stale by comparasion. Pixar seem to be the only ones in the US capable of producing an animated film with some charm and character.

The Cat Returns is out in the cinema now. I went to see it on Sunday, it's by the same studio (different director) that made Spirited Away. But it's also very good and very funny... but with perhaps a more straight forward storyline... although it is again a bit like Alice in Wonderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I have both Spirited Away, and Princess Monenoko (same director, earlier film), and I have to say that both are amazing, with Spirited Away being one of my favourite films.

It really has such an amazing storyline and every scene is full of character. Well worth the money to buy imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

cool I'll check out that cat film; first I heard.

I loved Spirited away. Where did you get it that cheap? If it isn't been sold new for that price anywhere, and it's not scratched and has its box I'll give you a fiver for it. Live down the road form you and will be going to bushy park later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ditto what pwd said, where did you get it for that price?

I loved it in the cinema, so original and dreamlike. I'd love to see it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Spirited away was beautiful. I have to try very hard not to cry when watching it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

Trippy, seriously trippy loved the film but i thought it was Alice in Opeumland, if you know what i mean lots of people have requested a sequal, it is possible... what do you guyz think?

Glip :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I recorded it the other day on my sky + and watched last night. Tbh I wasnt expecting much as I am not a huge anime fan, but I was absolutely blown away. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It had everything the animation is breathtaking and the in genious storyline had me gripped from start to finish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Love all the studio Ghibli films. I'm in the process of collecting them now. You should check them all out. I haven't seen one that isn't exceptional yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

pwd wrote:
    cool I'll check out that cat film; first I heard.
    Yeah. It's on in the UGC.

I wasn't expecting it to be too good, as Miyazaki had very little to do with it. But it's still very imaginative. A young girl rescues a mysterious cat from traffic and soon finds herself the unwelcome recipient of gifts and favors from the King of the Cats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

I too was amazed by this movie. It was just so beautiful, crazy, different to the usual cartoons, never seen anything like it. An adventure story where you just don't have a clue what's going to happen next - brilliant filmmaking. Tragic, scary, sad, lovely ... particularly recall the train journey.

Evad, where did you get this for €3.00 .... ? Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i'd like to know where you got it as well. Somebody has stolen my american version of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I wasn't expecting it to be too good, as Miyazaki had very little to do with it. But it's still very imaginative. A young girl rescues a mysterious cat from traffic and soon finds herself the unwelcome recipient of gifts and favors from the King of the Cats.
    FYI, the Cat Returns is kinda a sequel to an earlier ghibli film called Whisper of the Heart. Not a great film but worth checking out if you are a ghibli fanboy/girl. It's really just a cutesy teenage romance but I liked it and it has nothing to do with the Cat Returns apart from this is where the baron makes his first appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

spirited away was excellent, I probably did prefer mononoke, bt its a tough call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im afraid i must echo everyone else here and agree that it is an absolutely amazing film! Just love it! The animation, characters and story are just supurb imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Probably one of my favorite films of all time, this and Princess Mononoke. Have both on DVD and i love em. Kiki's special delivery service is also amazing, BUT the winner out of all the Miyazaki/Ghibli movies has to be "Laputa: The Castle in The Sky" Really is amazing. A MUSTSEE for any fans of spirited away. Really cant recommend it enough

i saw castle in the sky too. It is good; but not as good as spirited away imo. More action and better plot, but not so imaginative or as well animated.

pwd, thats cos its nearly 30 years old :)

Animation has come on a little since then i guess.

Of course, everyone has their opinion so im impressed that you have seen it anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Have to agree with everyone else who loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

evad_lhorg wrote:
    I picked up spirited away on DVD for 3 euro yesterday cause id heard so much about it being amazing and one of the best cartoons ever. ITS FúCKIN WEIRD! really was lost for a lot of it cause its just odd. people were saying its a classic. it wasgood but for a cartoon movie it just didnt have memorable characters or moments.

whats your opinions on it?

I'll buy it off you for 3 euro ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

nadir wrote:
    spirited away was excellent, I probably did prefer mononoke, bt its a tough call.
    Same here. mononoke would my fav of the two, but not by much :)

that's the second time this week someone else has offered less for the samne thing after I made an offer to buy something on boards :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

pwd wrote:
    that's the second time this week someone else has offered less for the samne thing after I made an offer to buy something on boards :S

Didnt see your offer :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd have to say I prefer Spirited Away to Mononoke. I just thought there was more original ideas and animation in it. I've also seen Porco Rosso from them, unbelievable animation in that and it's 13 years old. There is one scene in it where you have a first hand view of the cockpit of a plane as the pilot flies over a lot of different landscapes. I've yet to see anything else to match how amazing it looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

I adored spirited away,where did you get it for 3 euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I thought it was OK but Princess Mononoke is far better in my opinion, Spirited Away I felt was a variation on Alice In Wonderland. I really liked No Face but that's about the only character that really interested me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I also have to admit I liked Princess Mononoke that little bit better then Spirited Away but both are fantastic movies and well worth seeing.

Nice find for €3 aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

well there are some good things about workin in game. when somethin is traded in cheap I get it cheap if want. and i wanted. and no i wont be selling it! no more PMsaskin to buy it. it wasnt bad enough to sell. it wasnt bad at all i just didnt really think it was as amazing as everyone makes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Does anyone know where/when/if The Cat Returns is coming to Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

I love Spirited Away! It is an amazing movie. Went to see it on my own at UGC one day because none of my friends wanted to see it. I remember just being stunned by the images. The hand painted scenes are just gorgeous!

I recently bought it on DVD and it is one of the best DVDs in my collection.

Yet to see Princess Monomoke! Will look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

OY wrote:
    Yet to see Princess Monomoke! Will look into it.
    Yes, worth your time and/or money
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    Does anyone know where/when/if The Cat Returns is coming to Cork?
    No idea but i find that asking in the cinema works... in the UGC they tell you everything if you ask nicely.

Oh and 'The Cat Returns' is pretty good, i saw it today and enjoyed it a lot... bit cheesy in parts but its Studio Ghibli appeal won me through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i loved this film, although everyone i've shown it too since didnt really give a sh!t..

BTW guys ye watch the dubbed version or the subtitled version of the film? i've always watched the dubbed, you wouldnt really notice that it was to be honest

I always go with subbed, the dubbed version dialogue is usually completely reworked and doesnt match the direct translation like the subtitles do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

subs all the way.
    The studio ghibli films tend to be dubbed well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

WellyJ wrote:
    Probably one of my favorite films of all time, this and Princess Mononoke. Have both on DVD and i love em. Kiki's special delivery service is also amazing, BUT the winner out of all the Miyazaki/Ghibli movies has to be "Laputa: The Castle in The Sky" Really is amazing. A MUSTSEE for any fans of spirited away. Really cant recommend it enough

So that's the name of that film!! I saw that years and years ago one Christmas when I was in Scotland. I was mesmerised. Indeed, it's testiment to the film taht I still remember it so well!!

Must go look for it now I know the name. Cheers lads! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement