Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing brake discs

Options
  • 31-05-2005 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

If you can see oxidation marks on your brake disc is that a good indication that you should replace them pronto? I've never had a problem with them but my sister was driving my car lately and she said they were terrible but she is used to really sharp brakes where if you even tip the pedal you are thrown forward in the seats.

If is should replace them where can i get a set of discs for an opel astra and could i do it myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

it's hard to say by what your telling us.

if the disc's have quite a lip on them (by running your finger from hub outward towards outer edge of brake disc) or indeed if youve lost confidence in their ability certainly change them (especially with our wet/dry climate)

if disc's look/feel fine, then you would be amazed by what a new set of pads and bleeding the brake system can do for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Rust (oxidation) on discs is normal (in Ireland anyway) and shows up overnight on most cars. You only need to replace discs is when they become too thin or wear unevenly causing judder under braking. Have someone check them for you - your sister may just be used to something with a very sharp 'pedal' and isn't making any allowance for it. Or your CV boots could have split and dumped grease on the discs, causing the pads to glaze and making it all not work...

Depending on the age of the car, it might benefit from having the brake fluid changed - it gets 'soggy' with age and moisture. Bleeding might help too.

If the discs are solid (unvented) they should be a minimum of 6mm thick (check car specific data) if they are vented, check the manufacturers recommended thickness. Either way - get pads, discs and fluid checked. Did anything show up at the last NCT?

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Check the colour of the brake fluid if its black or hasnt been changed in the last two years get it changed.As long as the discs are not warped,cracked or worn down with a pronounced lip on the outer edge the discs are fine.How long has it been since the brakes were replaced?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No offence Scruff, but if you need to ask about changing them maybe you shouldn't try replacing them yourself. I say this purely because of the importance of having proper working brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Its not that hard to change brakes. Im sure if hes anyway reasonable mechanicaly, himself and a couple friends that are into cars could do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement