Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noisey Engine at 30mph

Options
  • 31-05-2005 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello

Does anybody have any ideas what is causing this?

When the engine is idle the engine noise is fine.
    When the car is stationary and I rev it hard the noise increases as expected, however when I drive over a certain speed limit, approx 30mph, the engine gets very very loud.

The pressure from the exhaust seems fine when the car is idle.

Should I replace the exhaust ( or the whole car :-) )

It is a 96 Renault Megane.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Are you sure its the engine? Drive up to 35mph, put it into neutral and let the engine idle for a bit. See if you can still hear the noise.
    If it was the engine, you would hear it before 30 ( unless you are still in first at 30 :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Might just be a shagged exhaust mount causing the exhaust to bang off the underside of the car - only happens when moving because the loaded engine is pulling or pushing it on the other mounts. 96 Megane shouldn't need new exhaust IMO.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sherman

I have put it into neutral, I even turned off the engine on a straight piece of road, and the noise is still there.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Is it a loud humming noise? If it is, it could be a wheel bearing (or four)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Could be brakes, wheel bearings, gearbox, driveshafts or clutch. Be careful turning off the engine on the move as you lose braking when the servo is powered down, and also the steering can lock and cause you to crash (I've done it..). Describe the noise - is it a steady grumble, is it grinding, rythmic or does it sould like cheap techno?

'c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Sounds like a wheel bearing or something catching a driveshaft.

Its a steady grumble. Really sounds like an exhaust but because it doesn't happen when the car is stationary, I don't think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

It really sounds like a wheel bearing, ( thats the most common cause of what you are describing ). It could be the gearbox either, but that would be less likely.
    Can you isolate the noise to a particular part of the car? In my limited experience, front wheel bearings go first.
    You could try jacking up the car, each wheel in turn and rocking that wheel with your hands, see if one of them has much more play than the rest.
    Others here will be able to give better advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll go with wheel bearing - one "test" is to listen carefully and see if the sound gets better or worse going round a bend. If going right it quietens then the right bearing is shot obviously the same test works going left. If the noise
    stays the same turn your head and see you can hear it louder behind you.

Mike.

thanks Guys,

I got the bearing replaced yesterday and I can hear the engine again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement