Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV - Takes 10-30 mins to connect

• 31-05-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I know a couple of people on here have been getting this problem as well. I have my own router that doesn't have auto redial and i have to sit there pressing connect over and over and over for sometimes up to 30 mins. I rang the shower of w*nkers in UTV and "they can't help me without an error code", my router doesn't give error codes. Apparently they need this so they can "get on to Eircom and tell them to sort it out". I take back everything I said about UTV being the best of a bad bunch!!

Has anyone had this problem and if so have they been able to resolve it?

p.s its not the router hardware or my PC, I've already sent the router back and got it replaced with a new one and I have 3 pc's and happens on all of them. I got the impression that the guy in support knew about this problem but wasn't letting on....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Yep, I was having exactly the same problem last night. I put the modem into bridge mode and dialed the PPPoE connection directly from the PC to see if it would help. It still took about 50 attempts to connect, but at least I could set it to automatically redial every second, which the modem wouldn't do :mad:

I've noticed this problem before, but it appears to have gotten much worse in the last few days

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

From time to time UTV seems to have a problem with a small number of customers which necessitates setting them up with new user names and/or passwords. It might be worth purusing this option with UTV support. Apparently they have recruited some new people recently so these new people would presumably not be familiar with this option. It might be worth reporting it in the utv support group as well. It has not appeared there as an issue in the last day or two so that would suggest it has not been widespreat (utv.support on news.utvinternet.com in whatever news reader programme you use)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

dub45 wrote:
    From time to time UTV seems to have a problem with a small number of customers which necessitates setting them up with new user names and/or passwords. It might be worth purusing this option with UTV support. Apparently they have recruited some new people recently so these new people would presumably not be familiar with this option. It might be worth reporting it in the utv support group as well. It has not appeared there as an issue in the last day or two so that would suggest it has not been widespreat (utv.support on news.utvinternet.com in whatever news reader programme you use)

Thanks for that. Just a quick question, do i have to be connect to UTV's ISP to see the news group? I'm havign trouble connecting to it in work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Ye you do its locked to the IP's given by UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yeah i had this problem yesterday.....rang tech support and they just changed the password and username and I rebooted and everything was better....altho my speeds have gone to ****e....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I rang them and they just blamed my router. I asked them to change my password and username and he said we've been told not to do that anymore (I'm guessing people aren't changing their passwords on their routers :-)). He eventually did it for me and now everything is ok. I also switched my router to PPOA and my speeds are *lightening* fast now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Am UTV also - not having any prob.s recently - was an issue with DNS about a month ago - seems to have been at Eircom Exchange end...

- Am interested in the config. change to PPOA - especially the "lightening" bit..
    ..Whats the story there - should I tell the boss I'm sick and go home and change this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There has been a bit of a discussion (I emphasise bit:)) in the newsgroup on the ppoa thing and apparently some of the newer eircom equipment will accept ppoa. See the post from Carl on 3rd June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dossingdave

i had a problem with utv once, my modem "dsl" light kept flashin and i had to wait 30 mins for it to stop flashin. but i fixed it by re installin the modem.

Speakin of UTV, i can even sign in to the bloody members area :mad:

Does anyone know wat ure userame is??
    is it the "email" kind of login they give u, like, the one u use to go on to the net???

Because mine doesnt work at all :mad:

Advertisement