Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEEE directive

Options
  • 31-05-2005 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Why is no one talking about the WEEE directive which is coming into being in Ireland on 13th of August this year.

Any company who sells electronic equipment will be effected, but no one seems to be doing anything about it and there is no media attention being given to it.

To find out somthing about it have a look at this web site www.weeeireland.ie

Has anyone got their accounting system prepared for it?

Check it out and then start getting worried!

Paddyo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, if you're in the business, you should be a paying-in member of the scheme. That's about it really, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

I dont think that is it - If I am wrong I would be delighted.

There is an charge for each item to facilitate the disposal of historical WEEE. This charge is to be passed on through the system from Producer to Distributor to retailer to end user. For example, a TV - IT may have a charge of €10.00. This charge should be shown on invoices.

If you are the producer, you remit this charge to someone - eg WEEEIreland otherwise you have already been billed for it by your supplier.

Your auditors must sign off that you are doing this properly.

What happens to people who sell from catalogues - they will now have to take back WEEE. They deliver a TV, they must if the purchaser wants, take back the old TV.

Dell will be hard hit with this.

These are just some of my thoughts.

Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't know, it might not be as tough as you might think, certainly not for Dell.The courier is calling at the house/business anyway, so it's no big deal to pick it up.

I could see how it could make things tough for smaller specialized operators depending on general courier services.

The accounting doesn't look too bad. Just keep track of how many charges you have made to customers, and how many charges you've remitted upstream. That should do it, no?

Advertisement