Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

provisional license

Options
  • 31-05-2005 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I have a provisional license and am insured as a named driver on my mam's car. Could someone tell me whether or not my insurance is void if I Drive on my own without someone with a full license in the car with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

If on the license beside cars in restrictions there are the numbers 999 then you cannot by law drive without a qualified driver any way

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, it's not void unless the insurance policy says it is.

You are liable to prosecution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Everyone does it. None of my friends have ever been told to stop driving when the mofo's stopped them and they were by themselves in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

shane0312 wrote:
    I have a provisional license and am insured as a named driver on my mam's car. Could someone tell me whether or not my insurance is void if I Drive on my own without someone with a full license in the car with me?

your insurance is fine...

but the cops could take you to court (they won't, but they could)....

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

jhegarty wrote:
    your insurance is fine...

but the cops could take you to court (they won't, but they could)....

I was taken to court for this very same thing...some insurance companies make you sign a form in the beginning saying you wont drive unaccompanied etc...besides that its against the law and dangerous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

CTU_Agent wrote:
    ...dangerous...

How exactly? What is a passanger with a full licence going to do to avoid a crash, other than give some advice?

Make sure they signal properly , dont go up a one way system , get lost in traffic calming , judging distances at junctions , changing lanes at roundabouts etc.. - such a long list that a qualified driver can help on

Nuttzz wrote:
    How exactly? What is a passanger with a full licence going to do to avoid a crash, other than give some advice?

Thats how!! :rolleyes:

Funkstard wrote:
    Everyone does it.

Oh everyone does it.... Well that must be ok then! :mad:

like that happens...everyone loves a back seat driver.
    Make sure they signal properly , dont go up a one way system , get lost in traffic calming , judging distances at junctions , changing lanes at roundabouts etc.. - such a long list that a qualified driver can help on

thats what driving instructors are for, not your mother you got her licence through the provisional licence amnesty years ago......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

So what's the definition of a qualified driver?
    My father didn't even have to do a test, and he has a full license.
    Is he a qualified driver?

Anyway, the gardai can't enforce this law, in fairness.
    The waiting list for most tests is >8 weeks, some places I've heard(though might not be true) up to a year.

So now your saying the prov license should be changed so you can only go outdriving with qualified instructors?

from www.drivingtest.ie

Average For All Centres 54.0% (pass rate) 39.3 (waiting time in weeks)

Loughrea has a waiting time of 14 weeks
    Dungravan has a waiting time of 61 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

The easy and proper answer to this is don't drive on your own.
    It's illegal and it's disgusting that someone can hop in a car over here with no driving experience and drive on their own, without even fearing that they will be caught. I'd love to see a clamp down on this and learners who drive on the motorway.
    Your parents should be responsible enough not to let you drive unaccompanied.

Nuttzz wrote:
    from www.drivingtest.ie

Yeah sorry.. I didn't want to over exaggerate without the facts but there they are ;) . The GF has her test booked in Loughrea actually. Booked it about 2-3 weeks ago so we'll see how she gets on.

It simply isn't possible to have a "qualified" driver beside you all the time.
    The GF is in Galway. Her parents are in Kilkenny. Do you think she is going to give them a call and say "Come up to Galway so I can take the car out to go for a McDonalds".
    I don't.
    It's a ridiculous law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Nuttzz wrote:
    from www.drivingtest.ie

I can't stop laughin at the maps to the test centres on a goverment official website....it looks like a kid doodling in MS paint
    Check out the map to finglas
    Finglas.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

So now your saying the prov license should be changed so you can only go outdriving with qualified instructors?
    I don't think anyone said anything of the sort but now that you mention it, I'd happily support this at least during an initial period. And re-testing every few years while we're at it.

commited wrote:
    Your parents should be responsible enough not to let you drive unaccompanied.

mmmm not every learner driver is a kid...I have a 35 year old friend who is just learning to drive. His 70 year old mother will be a great help to him when he's out driving...

Doesnt matter what your age , your as much a beginner as an 18 year old and just as liable to an accident.

Doesnt matter what your age , your as much a beginner as an 18 year old and just as liable to an accident.

I agree with you, I was just pointing out that not every L driver is a 17-18 year old living at home

interesting and mildly related article

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/140clarkson/01/

• Advertisement

Nuttzz wrote:
    mmmm not every learner driver is a kid...I have a 35 year old friend who is just learning to drive. His 70 year old mother will be a great help to him when he's out driving...
    I realise that, but is he insured under his mothers name?

dawballz wrote:
    It's a ridiculous law.
    Why is it? Why should someone be able to hop into a car with absolutely no knowledge and drive a car on their own with no formal instruction?
    As far as I know, every other European country is the same. The makes a RIDICULOUS amount of sense. You arent qualified to drive on your own, thus you shouldn't.

commited wrote:
    Why is it? Why should someone be able to hop into a car with absolutely no knowledge and drive a car on their own with no formal instruction?
    As far as I know, every other European country is the same. The makes a RIDICULOUS amount of sense. You arent qualified to drive on your own, thus you shouldn't.

Umm driver theory test doesn't count then, no?

dawballz wrote:
    ARE YOU SERIOUS?

You cant read a book and know how to drive.

commited wrote:
    ARE YOU SERIOUS?

You cant read a book and know how to drive.

Yeah, and someone can't just tell you how to drive either.
    Practice makes perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

The point is that a qualified driver has had proper practice, and in theory drives the car as per the requirements of the test, so they know how to drive, a provis driver is a noob and has no skill or knowledge. I accept it seems silly but its the law. I know of racing drivers that have no licence to drive a car etc. But the law is there to protect you and everyone else. The idea of the fully licenced driver is based upon the fact that if is required the noob can switch if they cannot hack it. No driver is perfect, I remember my instructor took me home after the first lesson and did everything wrong, but the idea of the co-pilot is to be there to assist you. I totally disagree with the 2nd year of a provis licence where the licencee can drive freely, but then the 3rd year they are back to basics, it makes no sense.

The laws are there, obey them, little more, complain, campaign etc, but dont risk my life or yours. Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dawballz wrote:
    It's a ridiculous law.

No, it's a perfectly good law, the law that akllows provisional licensed drivers to drive a car outside of actually learning to drive (being thought) is th eridiculous law.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dawballz wrote:

And heres me reading the soccer forum everyday, and guess what, no £50,000 a week contract from Liverpool has dropped through the door yet. Do these people not realise I've been reading about football for years so it would stand to reason I'm great at it. :rolleyes:

dawballz wrote:
    Yeah, and someone can't just tell you how to drive either.
    Practice makes perfect.
    And you can practice with a fully qualified driver with you. If you have no fully qualified driver available, then you can pay for lessons like the rest of us.
    astec123 wrote:
    I totally disagree with the 2nd year of a provis licence where the licencee can drive freely, but then the 3rd year they are back to basics, it makes no sense.

The laws are there, obey them, little more, complain, campaign etc, but dont risk my life or yours. Simple really.
    Agree on both points.

• Advertisement

astec123 wrote:
    The point is that a qualified driver has had proper practice, and in theory drives the car as per the requirements of the test, so they know how to drive, a provis driver is a noob and has no skill or knowledge. I accept it seems silly but its the law. I know of racing drivers that have no licence to drive a car etc. But the law is there to protect you and everyone else. The idea of the fully licenced driver is based upon the fact that if is required the noob can switch if they cannot hack it. No driver is perfect, I remember my instructor took me home after the first lesson and did everything wrong, but the idea of the co-pilot is to be there to assist you. I totally disagree with the 2nd year of a provis licence where the licencee can drive freely, but then the 3rd year they are back to basics, it makes no sense.

What is your definition of a qualified driver?
    My father has been driving for I don't know how many years(a lot), he has a full license but never did a test. I know plenty of others who are in the same boat.

A new driver is a cautious one imo.
    When I got my bike, for the first few months, I was very nervous, which is a good thing imo.
    A "qualified" driver could put me under pressure. I know for sure that if my father was in the seat beside me while I was driving, I wouldn't be very happy.
    He just wouldn't have the patience.

What about a motorbike? Since it's illegal to carry a pillion passenger(afaik) on a prov. license, are they exempt from this law?

Advertisement