Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

provisional license

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The long waiting lists are ridiculous, agreed. But all that is required is some forward planning.
    1. Check how long the waiting list is.
    2. Apply for test at some future time that will suit you (e.g. summer holidays).
    3. Wait until a few months before the test (or how long you expect it to take you to be ready for the test).
    4. NOW get some lessons, and get insured on parent's/friend's car and do some practice.
    5. Save money and stay legal by waiting until you've passed your test to buy a car.
    Not that hard!
    Of course if you fail, it's a bummer, then the long waiting lists really hit you hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

If the driving test wait time was reduced to a reasonable time none of these posts would be necessary. My son is putting me under considerable pressure to allow him to drive unaccompanied - he applied for his test months ago there's a 56 week wait - and 'all' his friends are driving on their own. I'm horrified as one of them has only had 2 lessons. It seems to be the norm to just get insured and jump into a car - I'm seen as the mean mommy as I won't let him and it's becoming increasingly difficult as I know myself that he's a competent driver and would no doubt pass his test in the morning. I don't know how I'll manage to keep saying no for another 6 months. It would be so much easier to give him the keys and let him do some of the runs I have to do every day with the little ones as well.
    Just wondering, why aren't people driving with L-plates on their first licence stopped and charged as I thought it was against the law. Are they also covered by insurance?
    well done for not buckling to the pressure. I'm glad my mother didnt when I wanted to all those years ago. If he totals his/your car or himself you would never forgive yourself. Best to tell him to wait and continue to drive with you so that he doesnt pick up any bad habits.

Advertisement