Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing for less than €200k in south Co. Dublin

Options
  • 31-05-2005 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of anywhere around south Dublin where it would be possible to get a 1 or 2 bedroomed apartment for less than €200,000? I'm going to uni there in a while so would need to find affordable accomodation. My brother will be joining me in about 3 years so instead of us paying rent and wasting our money my mum suggested buying something small and said that my parents would help us out with the mortgage. I could have someone rent out the other room before he joins me. It would have to be within reasonable distance to UCD or along a bus/DART route leading to it. All I seem to be able to find are places in Tallaght which is too far out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

You'll be doing very very very very well to get anything in south co. dublin for less than €240.
    Youd be doing fairly well to get an apartment in dublin anywhere for less than 200k unless its in a serious kip.
    Tallaght might not be a bad option,especially if its near the luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

What you might not know is house prices in Dublin are pretty high and getting higher. The Southside of the city and county is also the more expensive side of the capitol. Anything on the DART line is pretty expensive and if not there is good reason. I doubt you could find anything close to UCD for that price.

You may be better buying a place in Birmingham and renting that while you live and rent in Dublin. No tax to be paid on your rental income as you are a student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Good advice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

True but I don't plan to ever move back to Birmingham. The fact that I'm here is due to unfortunate incidents and I'm moving back to Dublin the second I can. I lived there until transition year and my entire life is there.

Is Tallaght on the Luas line now? What other places would be worth looking into that are still remotely affordable? Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You may be better buying a place in Birmingham and renting that while you live and rent in Dublin. No tax to be paid on your rental income as you are a student
    Don't rush into this without carefully understanding all the implications. Property investment is not the guaranteed path to riches anymore. The tax situation is not always that simple. You'll be hit with foreign exchange commissions every time you move funds between UK & Ireland. You'll need to manage the property, or pay someone else to manage it for you. Smart investors plan to be without rental income for 2 months of the year (between tenants). Could you pay the mortgage in these circumstances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Just a point of interest to you, there are a couple of buses each morning that run from Tallaght to UCD. There are new apartments close to Ellensborough currently available which the buses to UCD would pass. I'd stay well away from the new apartments near the Square shopping centre in Tallaght, there are tax exemptions for investors on them so they are being bought and rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

http://www3.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=229761&p=6&rt=search&searchlist=

either that or tallaght (not that there's anything wrong with tallaght).

having said that the above is really city centre (while still on the south-side)

you can probably get a 1bed apt in Bray for ~ €225k

Advertisement