Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bank account security

Options
  • 31-05-2005 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I occasionally tell people my bank
    sort code
    &
    account number
    so that they can pay me

Those details allow anyone to LODGE money, but could an evil person WITHDRAW money?

direct debit?
    standing order?

do those require your Date of birth or something else other than the sort code
    and account number?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You could set up paperless direct debits for phone services etc. They don't need a signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

vector wrote:
    I occasionally tell people my bank
    sort code
    &
    account number
    so that they can pay me
    Anyone that you've ever given a cheque to has these details anyway. They should always need a signature to effect any kind of withdrawal.
    Bond-007 wrote:
    You could set up paperless direct debits for phone services etc. They don't need a signature.
    Tell me more - Which companies allow you to set up direct debits without a signature? Do they look for ID documentation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Esat BT
    SKY
    UTV internet
    AA Ireland

That's all i can think of at the moment. No ID required. I'm serious. ESAT BT set up DD's without my consent and IFSRA said it was ok and above board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Bond-007 wrote:
    Esat BT
    SKY
    UTV internet
    AA Ireland

That's all i can think of at the moment. No ID required. I'm serious. ESAT BT set up DD's without my consent and IFSRA said it was ok and above board.
    NTL as well I think, I forgot to send back the DD mandate they sent me and they set up the direct debit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

just registered on paypal, so I can accept credit cards and "pull" payment rather than have people "push" payment at me, the only info payers need is my email address.

but looking at the page now, people paying me must register for paypal, I can't just take their info on the phone like a real credit card merchant.

(caveat www.paypalsucks.com)

Advertisement