Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have you ever had a Drink and then Drive?

Options
  • 31-05-2005 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭

Today's Indo has a survey that states 40% of drivers have had a drink and then drove.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1406460&issue_id=12548

I, to my shame, have done so in the past, when I was a young invincible driver, age has coped me on thankfully.

Personally I think it is an older generation issue, most people in their late 20's early 30's never D&D

How you? Be honest!

Have you ever drunk and drove? 62 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 62 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I can put my hand on my heart and say NEVER.
    A couple of times i have had a shandy (singular), but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

No, never, and I never would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I think your spot on that its a problem with older generations. I'm 21 and wouldn't dream of taking my car if I was going to be drinking, and on ocassions I've had my car with me I've made sure it was somewhere that I could leave it to pick it up next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

In my younger days... quite a bit.

In the last say 10 years. Not once. I really copped on when I started riding motorcycles. My style of riding required 100% concentration and reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

I do not condone it-and have given myself and others a hard time over it before-

I have done it though-i regret it-i was lucky enough not to f.uk up my life or anyone elses.

But it is luck and only luck that saw to that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Once or twice I have driven to work the following morning & I certainly didn't feel 100%....not sure if that constitutes drink drivin

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

fletch wrote:
    Once or twice I have driven to work the following morning & I certainly didn't feel 100%....not sure if that constitutes drink drivin

It does. I've a few mates who've been done for that..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have definitely done the following morning thing.
    Did on Monday I suspect.

Wouldn't ever drive directly after boozing though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

The most I've ever had before getting into the car is one bottle of beer ... but I can count on 2 fingers the amount of times I've even done that!!

I believe that if you drive whilst over the limit, you should be done for attemped murder [not manslaughter]!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Drove home once on my bike :( absolutely scuttered, like 6-8 pints scuttered. It was about 1km from my house, two rights, and one left. I had scratches on my hands the next morning, wondering WTF? And then the g/f saw the bike down the side of the porch (cant fit it down sober) and went ballistic. Never done it since, and dont intend to... at least until i get my 4x4 ;)

Edit: This was a good few years ago when I was younger, drunker and invincible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I would have thought no, its something I never do, I had a bottle of beer over a 5 hour spell in a club and drove and felt bad about doing so, but I have driven in very ropey hungover states in my younger days and not even thought about the ramifications of being pulled and breathalised. Scary thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Nuttzz wrote:
    Today's Indo has a survey that states 40% of drivers have had a drink and then drove.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1406460&issue_id=12548

I, to my shame, have done so in the past, when I was a young invincible driver, age has coped me on thankfully.

Personally I think it is an older generation issue, most people in their late 20's early 30's never D&D

How you? Be honest!

here is the catch , from what I understand they consider any amount of drink (even half a pint) to be drinking and driving....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I moved my car about 10 feet in a car park of a pub one night to let someone out ... had about 7 pints on me and put a huge dint in the side against a pillar that I swore was never there before.

First and only time i drove with more than a pint on me.

Next morning episodes used to be all to common but I have wised up to that now and make sure that I am not dependent on the car after a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

been drunk and driven: no
    had one bottle of beer: yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I've had 1 shandy occasionally and then driven home. I don't see the problem with that to be honest.

Was the survey done about drinking and driving or being over the limit and driving? There's a big difference imo.

Similarly i'd like to see results of a survey on driving while being very tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

echomadman wrote:
    been drunk and driven: no
    had one bottle of beer: yes
    ^^
    What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

whats is the limit anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

yeah i have, i had one bottle of beer and i drove my parents to the pub. I know it sounds a little stupid, but I'd never do it again, maybe I was paranoid (I was definately not drunk), but I certainly didn't feel on top form. That was years ago now, and I've copped on since and never done it again.

[Edit]
    80 mg of alcohol per litre of blood I think, they've been trying to lower it to 50mg for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

silas wrote:
    yeah i have, i had one bottle of beer and i drove my parents to the pub. I know it sounds a little stupid, but I'd never do it again, maybe I was paranoid (I was definately not drunk), but I certainly didn't feel on top form. That was years ago now, and I've copped on since and never done it again.
    Yeah, I'd probably feel weird too. I think once or twice in the car I had a bottle in someone's house at Christmas and drove home. On the bike though, never. It's weird, cos people go "Are ya sure? Ah go on", but even a single glass of wine or a bottle, I'd be far too conscious of the fact that I've had a drink - I'd probably drive worse just from paranoia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

jackal wrote:
    Drove home once on my bike :( absolutely scuttered, like 6-8 pints scuttered. It was about 1km from my house, two rights, and one left. I had scratches on my hands the next morning, wondering WTF? And then the g/f saw the bike down the side of the porch (cant fit it down sober) and went ballistic. Never done it since, and dont intend to... at least until i get my 4x4 ;)

So you are basically saying if you get a 4X4 you will drink while drunk. Whos the big man? Less danger to yourself that way is it?

N.B. Prob get banned for what I really want to say... :(

• Advertisement

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    I believe that if you drive whilst over the limit, you should be done for attemped murder [not manslaughter]!!
    They might as well do you for shoplifting while they're at it. Perspective - please.

TheMonster wrote:
    So you are basically saying if you get a 4X4 you will drink while drunk. Whos the big man? Less danger to yourself that way is it?
    Have you ever seen one of these ";)" before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

TheMonster wrote:

N.B. Prob get banned for what I really want to say... :(

I think he was being a little humourous ;)

I have had a drink and then driven, but only the odd one or even half pint. And I have'nt even done that for about 20 years.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

silas wrote:
    80 mg of alcohol per litre of blood I think, they've been trying to lower it to 50mg for years
    There's a campaign to have zero tolerance as well, which I would totally support. For a start, if it's just a limit, there's few enough people who know what that directly translates to. If I remember correctly, it's three classes of wine, but I wouldn't be in any way sure about that.

Then there's the borderline issue, is 81mg going to get prosecuted? Is there leeway? It's the equivalent of doing 51kph and getting done (which I'd also support, but don't see it happening this time of the 2nd coming. And I'm an atheist).

Thirdly, there's the fact that 80mg is an arbitrary figure. I remember reading somewhere that a single bottle is enough to impair your judgement and reactions. Might not be much, but it could be enough and it's different for every person.

Also, it'd help crack down on the "ah sure one or two won't hurt" opinion prevalent in the older generation, there would be no excuse for not knowing the limit.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    They might as well do you for shoplifting while they're at it. Perspective - please.
    I presume he means if you actually kill someone. I don't think attempted murder is the way to go, but there should be some kind of punishment in between the two

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

If I remember correctly, it's three classes of wine, but I wouldn't be in any way sure about that.
    There is no quantity that equates to it.
    Take a 6ft6in 18Stone man who drinks 3 glasses of 9% Wine vs a 5-2 7st woman who has 3 glasses of 13% wine. Big difference.

mike65 wrote:
    I think he was being a little humourous ;)

I have had a drink and then driven, but only the odd one or even half pint. And I have'nt even done that for about 20 years.

Mike.
    Oops missed that :p

28064212 wrote:
    I presume he means if you actually kill someone. I don't think attempted murder is the way to go, but there should be some kind of punishment in between the two
    Yeah I'm just being pedantic.

A death at the hands of someone else is either premeditated or not. A drunk driver doesn't intend to kill anyone therefore it can never be [attempted] murder. There are varying degrees of manslaughter charges depending on the degree of negligence/recklessness.

TheMonster wrote:
    There is no quantity that equates to it.
    Take a 6ft6in 18Stone man who drinks 3 glasses of 9% Wine vs a 5-2 7st woman who has 3 glasses of 13% wine. Big difference.
    Sorry yes you're right. I think it was an average weight male. But what I meant was that from a personal perspective, very few people would know whether or not they had drunk (drank?) enough to be over the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm 25 and never even had one pint and then tried to drive. Wouldn't be bothered. What is the point in having just one :D
    I have gone out on big nights of drinking and then got in to the car the next morning after only a few hours sleep. Definitly would be over the limit and usually still groggy. Reactions are definitly slower after a heavy night.

Advertisement