Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat acting really weird

Options
  • 31-05-2005 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Have a female cat, about 2 years old (we got her in Aug 2003, vet said she was about 3 months old then).

Normally she is all over me, lying on me, licking my face, playing fetch with bobbins and stuff.

On Sunday, I was in the shower, and she was oudside the bathroom window meowing like a mad cat, so I opened the window, and in she climbed. Took one look at me, and bolted for the door, so I let her out.Now she won't come near me. I pick her up, and she's frantic to get down. When I come in from work she's normally waiting by the door for me, now she just lollops around on the couch.

The odd time she even brings back mice and birds to me, leaves them on my pillow.

What is wrong, why the sudden change in personality?

She is neutered/speyed, whatever it is that female cats get done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Any recent changes in the house - new resident, new smells, new cleaning fluids, new after-shave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

have any other cats moved into the neighbourhood? Have started seeing someone that has a cat? their smell could be on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

RainyDay - Not that I am aware of. I have not started using anything new, and the clothes are washed in the same detergent. So I'll answer no.

KlodaX - In answer to the new cat thing, not that I have noticed. And, I haven't started seeing someone with a cat.

Thanks for the quick replies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

She’s an adolescent cat! A teenager!

The weather is probably the reason. Cats go a bit odd (the way dogs do with full moons) but cats just get moody.

Also if she is a fem a spayed be careful of phantom pregnancies! (Look out for nesting lack of appetite and mood swings)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another thing that cats are very senstitive to is sudden changes in air pressure, so if there's a storm brewing they can sometimes act a bit scatty.

Our two cats are like yours is now. One won't get on our laps at all, and the other will but jumps off at the slightest movement or noise. They're quite happy in those places in the house they feel comfortable with, like our bed (!), and they'll let you play with them there, but pick them up and take them into the sitting room and they'll jump straight off and head for the bedroom or the kitchen chairs. They'll also play quite happily with you in the garden, chasing things and jumping in the air.

They weren't always like that, and when they were small they'd both sit on my lap for hours, but one day they changed. I still don't know what the cause was, but I'm just hoping they'll grow out of it. They're 2.5 years old now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Alun wrote:
    Our two cats are like yours is now. One won't get on our laps at all, and the other will but jumps off at the slightest movement or noise. They're quite happy in those places in the house they feel comfortable with, like our bed (!), and they'll let you play with them there, but pick them up and take them into the sitting room and they'll jump straight off and head for the bedroom or the kitchen chairs. They'll also play quite happily with you in the garden, chasing things and jumping in the air.

They weren't always like that, and when they were small they'd both sit on my lap for hours, but one day they changed. I still don't know what the cause was, but I'm just hoping they'll grow out of it. They're 2.5 years old now as well.
    To a T there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

My baby is getting uppity to, although we have had afew new additions, one whos owner has moved to spain, the other two are tiny kittens someone abandoned, I ask ya, they are like 4/5 weeks old max.

Advertisement