Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should U2 throw in the towel?

Options
  • 31-05-2005 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Listening to them recently (over last couple of albums) and watching them, don't you think U2 should hang up their gloves before turning into another Rolling Stones. Don't get me wrong eventhough they are not my favourite band I would say they are the best band of all time (even ahead of the Beatles) but I think they should certainly give up the touring, maybe just songwrite/produce. Their shows are great and all but its just having seen them the last couple of times live its begining to seem like they are gradually fading away (Bono does'nt seem to have the stage presence nevermind the voice any more) in front of our eyes. If they left now they would end on a high rather than dragging it out and not being remembered as they should be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

garred wrote:
    (even ahead of the Beatles) .

woah woah woah.

let's not get carried away here....

good point though. would be good to see them go their separate ways and still be successful. leaving the band with a consistent legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I agree with you that the last two albums have not been particularly inspired. I personally think they should take time out for a couple of years once the current tour is over and then reform and hopefully go back to working with Eno and, I dunno, maybe just re-invent rock and roll all over again.

PS I wouldn't put U2 above the Beatles, personally. U2 would never have happened but for the Beatles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I have never really appreciated their music or the beatles music.

But no , they can caryy so that in a few years we can watch them crash and burn ... mo hah hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I would put them ahead of the Beatles. Remember when the Beatles came out everything was new...sounds, effects, riffs, lyrics, studio production...it was'nt done before. However a lot had been done since then and when U2 came on the scene but they still seemed to reinvent themselves. Both bands could do it live and in the studio but if you look at other factors; U2 have kept the same line up (including manager) for 25 odd years and still going, they have only played once in all that time without all members being there. The Beatles were a great band but if you put it into context with musical eras I'd have to go with U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

U2 Were voted best live act in Rolling Stone, just 2 years ago, so they can't be that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Lads wtf!!

Hang on Im a huge U2 fan I i think that their last two albums were great. No way should they break up. in the words of bono they shouldnt break up until they make a bad album and lets face it they havent yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭JimboPope

I think the four of them should be led out and shot...twice for good measure.

Awful awful band. Really awful.

They are just re-hashing the same old tunes they've been churning out for years now, they've no relevance any more.

The only reason I feel there sticking around as far as Bono (what kind of stupid name is that to give yourself!) is concerned is so he'll remain in the limelight to further his influence witht the human rights campaigning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of what their doing with regards to the whole make poverty history, amnesty international, buy timmy a new dog campaign but their music is simply pure sh*te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Agree with you there Jimbo..
    Older stuff was good.
    Stuff in the last 5-6 years or so is absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

JimboPope wrote:
    I think the four of them should be led out and shot...twice for good measure.

Awful awful band. Really awful.

They are just re-hashing the same old tunes they've been churning out for years now, they've no relevance any more.

The only reason I feel there sticking around as far as Bono (what kind of stupid name is that to give yourself!) is concerned is so he'll remain in the limelight to further his influence witht the human rights campaigning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of what their doing with regards to the whole make poverty history, amnesty international, buy timmy a new dog campaign but their music is simply pure sh*te!

I ****ing hate your attitude man, its dumb. How exactly does one 'rehash' a tune??? Are the songs they do now the same with different lyrics?? eh no. Is the melody the same?? eh no.

Does the fact that they are the most popular live band in the world make them relevant?? Maybe that they were more than likely vital to the Live 8 concerts not make them relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

maybe they should stop writing stuff cos they are not gonna write anotherjoshua tree lets face it but i think they can justify staying on giggin... i don't like them at a ll but not many bands could sell out 3 nights in croker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

As long as they enjoy what they're doing, why should they give a **** what any whingers think? What do they owe anyone? You only live once, they should do what they enjoy as long as they're capable of doing it. What a stupid question :rolleyes:

People need to stop expecting revolutions from middle aged men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I ****ing hate your attitude man, its dumb. How exactly does one 'rehash' a tune??? Are the songs they do now the same with different lyrics?? eh no. Is the melody the same?? eh no.

Does the fact that they are the most popular live band in the world make them relevant?? Maybe that they were more than likely vital to the Live 8 concerts not make them relevant?

Well said my man very well said. U2 arent as popular as they are for no reason.

Just for arguments sake can you give me some examples of this "re-hashing" of tunes?

Doctor J wrote:
    What a stupid question :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Merely pointing out that they are not the band they used to be either in the studio or live and I think thats a fair statement. Would hate to see them going down the same road as other bands that are "milking it". They are a great band and I feel if they packed up the gigging now they would always be remembered as a great band. I personally think that their popularity now is only due to their earlier stuff and loyalty of fans.
    Their last 2 albums were not great. Oasis I feel are in the same situation eventhough they have not been around anywhere near as long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

After over 25 years with the same line up, what band is as good as they used to be? Do you really expect them to be a better band as they approach their late 40s than they were in their 20s and 30s?

It kills me to see people saying bands should quit just because they don't like their contemporary output. They've moved on, either relax and move with them or move on to other bands and let them do their thing. Their legacy is their own, not yours, they've earned the right to do what they want IMO. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

garred wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Merely pointing out that they are not the band they used to be either in the studio or live and I think thats a fair statement. Would hate to see them going down the same road as other bands that are "milking it". They are a great band and I feel if they packed up the gigging now they would always be remembered as a great band. I personally think that their popularity now is only due to their earlier stuff and loyalty of fans.
    Their last 2 albums were not great. Oasis I feel are in the same situation eventhough they have not been around anywhere near as long.

Didn't "sometimes you can't make it....." and "Vertigo" both go to number 1??

Didn't 'how to dismantle an atomic bomb" already sell about ten million albums?

Lyla went to number 1, so will "Don't believe the truth" and the album is set to do very well in the states also.

Where in all that do you get that people don't like what they are doing these days?

Has it hurt the Rolling Stones legacy? Paul McCartney's?

Didn't think so.

Oasis + U2 = greatness :)

Where in any of my posts did I say people don't like what they are doing. Yeah they went to No. 1 and they could probably sample a dog barking and it would get to number one because of the fan base they have. Yeah Macca and the Stones have a legacy, but in the Stones case its what they did in the sixties not what they did in the last 10 years.

The point I'm making is they are not the band they used to be and I'd hate to see them going from a legendary band to a good band. You have to admit they are sliding from the heights of the 80's early 90's. If that slide keeps going of course peoples opinions of them would change.

Anyway guess I'm the only one that thinks this so it must be something I'm drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

U2 are one of the only bands that have had their original Line up for that long. Some of the arguments for them retiring don't make sense. What else would they do? Their solo stuff would be terrible compared to their group stuff.
    Just because they won't make another Joshua Tree, they should stop recording, doesnt make any sense. As long as they're making good music and making money's all that matters,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

yes yes yes, please!!!! it would be wonderful if bono shut up for a while...or better still forever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

If you don't them don't listen. I don't see everyone's problem with U2. I don't like a lot of bands and a lot of bands I do like aren't as good as they used to be but I don't expect them to quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

But do you not agree that they are very overrated and you could call them sellouts with the whole ipod thing and stuff like that. And do Bono and the Edge like each other? Does anyone ever think there's tension in the band at this stage? Larry's the best member I think.
    They're a good band with some good songs but they're not a good rock band.
    Lizzy were best band out of Ireland! Better get away before u2 fans go mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

U2 should call it a day. Their recent cd was goog on the first few listens. Now it is gathering dust.

U2's hayday was in the 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

I agree. I wouldnt if I was a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

they are still amazingly good. maybe their shows dont have the same energy they once did, but they are still a great spectacle and the music carries the show now. I personally love the last 2 albums

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

U2's hayday was in the 80's.
    Early 90's actually.
    Should U2 throw in the towel.
    Of course they should .
    Afterall their 110 show tour grossing over $300m is only sold out in Europe and the US in record time.
    Their European tour will be a fantastic spectacle.
    Have you seen the size of the stage ?? Its monstrous.
    Fair enough the new album isnt up to the standards of Achtung Baby but they are still a super power.
    Their back catalogue is immense.
    They are the best live band around at the moment by a long way .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

they should stay home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Gilgamesh wrote:
    they should stay home
    Oh gawd no... much rather they are anywhere but here in Ireland. I don't think I could be responsible for my actions if I bumped into Bono. (After I pick myself up having fallen over the little hobbity man)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hmmm i would have to say NOOOOOO I think U2 are great. garred you say the last few times you have seen them lin concert you were not impressed? Then please stop going and let other people who have been waiting for years to actually get a ticket go... Look as long as there is a demand for them,... and obviously there is.. they will be there. Their last album "how to dissmantle an atomic bomb" is great!! I love it. Im no die hard fan but they are probably my fave band and they are not getting old.. Bonos voice is not bad either.. he can do a fairly decent opera if he tries... no José cura but he is good in Rock terms :D

So no i do not think they should stop. I dont even think the stones should stop till they are no longer popular or dead... in fact dead will probably come first.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Personally, I don't think U2's recent stuff has been their best, but they're still selling albums and selling out concerts the world over so why should they quit?

They have picked up fans at various different stages along the way in the 25+ years they've been doing this, so while some may say the 80s was their 'heyday', maybe the younger crowd are more familar with recent music/live shows and prefer that stuff to the back catalogue - maybe some just love all of it.

I'm sure many people think they're getting 'too old to be rock stars' or they've lost their touch, but as a band (should that be brand?) they're always going to appeal to someone so why not keep going until it doesn't appeal to them anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

5 Grammy's including best album says it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

defo throw in the towel.... crazy people why would they they are the biggest band in the world at the moment and who is gonna fill their place; coldplay??? there are no bands that can touch them, mainly becaause the state of the music industry is in such a state at the moment, but they are amazing and the live experience is second to none....

Advertisement