Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should U2 throw in the towel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭henry hill

Call_me_al wrote:
    but they are amazing and the live experience is second to none....

Have to agree, their live stuff is where its at. When you listen to UABRS, Sydney, Mexico, Rattle & Hum, Boston, Slane, and Chicago live acts you can really hear why they're so popular. Saw them 3 times last year (Croker, Cardiff, New York) and was blown away.

However I wouldn't like to see them go on as long as The Stones, who i didn't rate at the super bowl. But I'll leave it up to the band to decide when they should quit, they've there finger on the pulse and they'll know when the times right. Although if they decided to throw one last gig in slane or croker at 65, I'm sure it would sell out!

(PS. When are Zoo TV & Popmart Live acts being puit on DVD ?????)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

JimboPope wrote:
    I think the four of them should be led out and shot...twice for good measure.

Awful awful band. Really awful.

They are just re-hashing the same old tunes they've been churning out for years now, they've no relevance any more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of what their doing with regards to the whole make poverty history, amnesty international, buy timmy a new dog campaign but their music is simply pure sh*te!

I totally agree.

Anyway there's no way that they'd stop though. They're making too much money to quit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

I hope they keep going because it's amusing how much money they make even though they suck. Fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

What the hell, U2 are clas, i think 5 grammys explains what some people here don't understand, but everyone has an opinion i guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Celine Dion wins Grammys!!??

U2 are such a sacred cow, nobody seems to care that they are bland and overrated. And Bono is not Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

5 grammys doesn't that mean much to me. there are plenty of other bands who deserved it more imo.

Of course they have had their moments but they having less and less of them with every new release.

I have to point I'm not really a fan so maybe my opinion doesn't count, at the end of the day if people are buying records they'll keep going.

But I'd like to see them call it a day.

For their sake more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

5 Grammy's including best album says it all

[rant]oh wow, grammies.

The most generic bands in the world get grammies. grammies mean nothing. They're not voted for by music fans, they're voted by people who hear that pap on the radio and like it because it's bland and inoffensive.

U2 make me sick. They're just awful. All the songs sound the same. All the guitar parts are much the same thing. The Edge is a guitarist who relies on digital effects to sound good. Ugh. The only good tihng about them is that they're no coldplay.
    It's a shame to see them like that because joshua tree and war are fine albums.
    Please, bono. Just go. For the love of all that is sacred.

I live near croke park and had to endure 3 nights of that, plus 80000 drunken fans. It was just terrible.

It's also pretty odd how people only like them because they're Irish and we're meant to be proud of them because they're irish and they've made it to the world state. If they were american you'd listen to them once and think "naahhh, I don't think so" and go and listen to the kinks, or any band that haven't been rehashing the same songs since the early 90s. The only other band that have become so dire from such greatness have been the foofighters. Grohl should quit it, he's already destroyed any shred of musical credibility he ever had. He's trying to turn into John Mayer.

Ugh. Hate them, and I can't escape them because they're our national export and it's unpatriotic to dislike 'em.

[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

amazing how there are different opinions. personally i think U2 went **** after the 80's/early 90's. dont think i will ever convert anyone to thinking differently just because i put it on here. the thread is a pointless arguement. opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

if U2 should Throw in the Towel....

I will Follow....

/me Gets His Coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

If Bono stopped trying to save the world and concentrated on music we might get something good out of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Yes, time to hang up the nylon hair plugs, cuban heels and silly glasses. U2 are dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

What the hell, U2 are clas, i think 5 grammys explains what some people here don't understand, but everyone has an opinion i guess :D

Michael Jackson won as many grammies as did U2 but the record number won at one time was by George Solti. Look that one up if you don't know who he was...

If U2 were an English band then our "Natioinal Pride" would be regarding them as even lesser mortals than the Stones...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Been a lifelong fan. Think the last two albums are fab and refreshing. I just wish we didn't have Bono going on so much inbetween songs at the concerts. Thankfully he's bringing up his points on the world stage such as the UN where they belong, not at concerts please......

Been a lifelong fan. Think the last two albums are fab and refreshing. I just wish we didn't have Bono going on so much inbetween songs at the concerts. Thankfully he's bringing up his points on the world stage such as the UN where they belong, not at concerts please......

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I'm certainly not a big fan, I'm just the type of person who likes one or two of their songs. However, think of all the real fans... What do you say to them? 'Yeah, we decided to throw in the towel because... Well, it was our time...'

Music is beneficial in a lot of ways and can be used to accomplish many things - but at the end of the day, the core idea behind music is 'entertainment'. If U2 are continuing to entertain, why the hell stop!? They are good at what they do and, as Bono said himself, 'The moment they become a crap band is the moment they'll stop' (or something to that effect).

That is all you can ask of them.

That's my non-fan based opinion, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

U2 is a good band but absolutely overrated especially in Ireland. As long as they pull a crowd and enjoy themselves they should continue. Having said that I agree that it is best to stop when the music still has some meaning and leave a lasting legacy.

We have all seen it in cases like the Rolling Stones or Kiss or so where they really become carricatures of themselves.

Sad really

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

OMG!!111!!! i don't like u2. they sux.

don't listen to them if you don't like them.
    the only valid opinion against U2 here was by RopeDrink.

i don't like oasis*, but i'm not gonna go slamming them on internet forums.
    they can keep making music and tabloid headlines forever. i don't really care. it's not going to affect me.

*band picked at random.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

oh yeah. stop buying tickets for the shows if you're not a fan.
    i was surrounded by about 50 people at croke park who looked on bewildered when U2 played "party girl", while friends of mine who are fans were left at home , denied tickets which were bought by people who wanted to go into their office the following monday and boast about seeing U2, even though they don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

garred wrote:
    The Beatles were a great band but if you put it into context with musical eras I'd have to go with U2.
    Are you really serious writing this? Really??
    Anyway U2 should just knock it on the head now, I've been around for their entire career (seems like about 200 years) and it's all very dull now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭zippo22

Hippo wrote:
    Anyway U2 should just knock it on the head now, I've been around for their entire career (seems like about 200 years) and it's all very dull now.

Same here. U2 should've had the manners to pack up years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Hippo wrote:
    Are you really serious writing this? Really??
    Yep, deadly serious.
    Forgot all about this thread, did'nt realise it resurfaced:)

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

When did they play w/o all 4 being there, and who was missing? Never heard of them doing that before...

A long time ago in Sydney, Adam was...under the weather, and a roadie filled in for a couple of shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

bah, this whole topic is, well, TIRED!

get over it already like. they're obviously still around because people genuinely LIKE them.
    the album sales would attest to that i think.

if ya don't like 'em, don't listen to 'em. end of story.

bah, this whole topic is, well, TIRED!

Relax there, this thread was long dead, was just answering a slightly off topic question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Beatles versus U2? Ha, its not even worth an answer tbh. U2 are a joke compared to the Beatles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

Hippo wrote:
    Relax there, this thread was long dead, was just answering a slightly off topic question...

i'm relaxed :)

takes alot more than something like this to get my knickers in a twist.

was only making a comment. not a personal attack against yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

RopeDrink wrote:
    Music is beneficial in a lot of ways and can be used to accomplish many things - but at the end of the day, the core idea behind music is 'entertainment'. If U2 are continuing to entertain, why the hell stop!? They are good at what they do and, as Bono said himself, 'The moment they become a crap band is the moment they'll stop' (or something to that effect).

Probably the best post in this thread. Couldnt have put it better myself.
    If the public dont like U2's music any more they will let them know.

pLeba

Advertisement