Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifle Pellets

Options
  • 31-05-2005 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

what are the best types of pellets and where can i get them online if possible have to be resonably priced

calibre is .17

Comments

Finale Match is pretty good, works fine for me and i think its about €65 for 5000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Webleys of any kind seem to be very good , duno where to get them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

One thing about air pellets (if you mean for target shooting, that is) - don't bother getting stuff like diablo pellets. It's a fiver or so for a decent tin of five hundred finale match pellets from H&N, and that's pretty much standard for pellets. It's not worth saving a euro or so when you get pellets that are deformed or underweight or whatever and don't let you shoot accurately.

Also, be sure you get the right calibre for your rifle. Remember, the rifle's a .177 calibre, but the pellets aren't. On the tin of pellets, there's usually a sticker showing the real calibre - instead of 4.5mm, it'll be 4.48mm, 4.49, 4.50, 4.51 or 4.52mm. Get a pellet that's too small and every so often you'll get a pellet that manages to rattle down the barrel without much contact with the lands, and so it accelerates faster and has a much higher velocity and flies high. You don't want a pellet that's too large either, of course, or it'll deform the face too much and destabilise the pellet faster and open up the group. At olympic level, you'd actually batch test them, but for day-to-day stuff, just pick a size and buy one tin and keep a note of how well it does and next time, get a different size. In general, the older the rifle, the more worn the lands and the bigger the pellet needs to be. Try starting with 4.50mm.

Advertisement