Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England-Colombia (contains scores)

• 31-05-2005 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Jaysus, its all got very interesting all of a sudden!

HT approaching, England lead 2-1 after being 2-0 up. All goals scored in the last 9 minutes of the half.

Calamity James and Cole fail to keep out a header from a Colombian corner, surely SGE can't see James as his #2 anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

And Michael "Past It" Owen bags two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Owen past it? Dont think so, Bring on Greeno. James flapped once again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang-on no one in there right mind can say Owens past it. He's scored more goals than Baros I think in less than half the time on the pitch. Speaking of which. is that the worst surface ever? The ball goes no distance before it slows to a trickle.

The Columbians are a classic bunch of south American divers, cheats and thugs.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hows Angel playing??

Sorry I thought the inverted commas would indicate I was having a swipe at the people that think so. He is pure class :)

• Advertisement

its probably the way you put it. come on Greeno do us proud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Zac kight - crap - Ingerland you can keep him

Pitch - the grounds at dundalk is better

Owen - still a midget:)

That midget scored a great goal to complete the hat trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Owen's getting greedy now... ;)

What think ye of Crouch tonight? Plenty of ball bouncing off his head, not sure if he's aware of said fact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What think ye of Crouch tonight? Plenty of ball bouncing off his head, not sure if he's aware of said fact...

i will acutally cry if liverpool buy him.

and they wont be tears of joy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

owen got a hat trick? i saw his first two and he took them well. i have to admit since he left liverpool i have really began to appreciate how good a player owen is.

obviously the bias was blinding me when he was at liverpool. i hope he gets a fair chance wherever he is playing next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I take back my pitch bashing as Beckham would never have caught that ball he crossed for Owens third had it not been so slow. For Englands sake I hope he stays at Real Madrid playing supporting role as it seems to keep him fresh!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Sven put Carrick in the first team I'd say they'd have a great chance of winning the WC. :eek:

Lampard----Gerrard----Beckham
    Carrick

or

Lampard
    Gerrard----Beckham
    Carrick

I didn't see most of the match but it makes some difference when you have a specific player to lay the ball off to.

There most recent matches against in Holland, Spain, Portugal, France, Switzerland they had less possession than all of those teams. With the players at their disposal that should not be the case. England's last 2 games with Carrick in the centre they had more possession than their opposition in both matches and they were both tough games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Ive always rated Carrick, but never thought about him internationally.... I think the diamond one (^^look above) would work brilliantly for them, and they'd have a great midfield bench, too with Cole, SWP, Hargreaves etc.... He should definately get first team football at the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Any idea what happened in the crowd at the end? Le Saux said he'd rather not talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Maybe it was the English fans who were starting things, and so he didnt want them to have a bad name...

eirebhoy wrote:
    Any idea what happened in the crowd at the end? Le Saux said he'd rather not talk about it.

I thought I saw a bottle thrown at the England bench when they brought on Defoe and Richardson, but wasn't aware there was any crowd trouble at the end.

On the topic of Carrick for England, I agree with your assessment eirebhoy. Carrick is the best exponent of the role he plays in the Premiership, he's a superb passer of the ball with great vision and positioning. I really expect him to have a huge season for Spurs next season. That said, I don't think SGE has the balls to play him... :(

Carrick is the best exponent of the role he plays in the Premiership
    Lets not go nuts now. Good player, great potential, still has a lot to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Carrick is a great player. Potential me bollix. He's a great player now. He's 23/24 now. Hes not going to get much better. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Carrick is a great player. Potential me bollix. He's a great player now. He's 23/24 now. Hes not going to get much better. :mad:
    Carrick to replace Roy Keane - i demand it!

• Advertisement

Carrick is still 23, and if you think a central midfield player is not going to improve much over the next few years of his career you should get out an watch more football.

And hes hardly a "great" player. He has done well this season, but one good season with Spurs coupled with a couple of decent seasons with West Ham when he was a raw talent doesnt define a "great" player.

Let him earn a few more caps or do the business in Europe before we go getting ahead of ourselves.

But again dont get me wrong, I think Carrick has the makings of a classy player.

Lets not go nuts now. Good player, great potential, still has a lot to prove.

I'm not going nuts,and I stand by what I said.

From what I've seen of Carrick, particularly in the season just gone (both on TV and in the flesh), he is the best exponent of that role there is in the Premiership. And he will get better (hopefully anchoring the Spurs midfield for 10+ seasons... ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm not going nuts,and I stand by what I said.

From what I've seen of Carrick, particularly in the season just gone (both on TV and in the flesh), he is the best exponent of that role there is in the Premiership

Better than Makelele?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

England could fit Carrick in the team easily if the played a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1 formation! As for hime being the best at what he does in the premiership, in terms of passing there is only one Xabi Alonso, who is also only 23!

BaZmO* wrote:
    Better than Makelele?

B.

Yep. Ooooh, controversial... ;)

From what I've seen of Carrick, particularly in the season just gone (both on TV and in the flesh), he is the best exponent of that role there is in the Premiership. And he will get better (hopefully anchoring the Spurs midfield for 10+ seasons... ;) )
    You obviously are not watching too many other teams so.

As I said, dont get me wrong, Carrick is a quality player, but he has a lot to prove. If he was THAT good he wouldnt have been left behind when even the likes of Glen Johnsen and Joe Cole got moves from West Ham.

If he was THAT good he wouldnt have been left behind when even the likes of Glen Johnsen and Joe Cole got moves from West Ham.

And people said Joe Cole was most likely to succeed from the Hammer's midfield trio, but its Frank Lampard who's the heart of the Chelsea midfield and Cole is no more than a bench warmer when Duff/Robben are fit. Your point being?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I agree that Carrick is a good player, but let's not ejaculate ourselves dry here. He's good technically, but defensively you've got Keane, Makelele, Gilberto, Hamann and others who protect the defence better than he does. Which is the main point of a holding midfielder.

If Carrick played behind Lampard and Gerrard, they'd probably play a lot better without the defensive burden. Gerrard might even turn up for England for once! ;)

And people said Joe Cole was most likely to succeed from the Hammer's midfield trio, but its Frank Lampard who's the heart of the Chelsea midfield and Cole is no more than a bench warmer when Duff/Robben are fit. Your point being?
    People said that Cole was the most technically gifted English footballer since Le Tissier. And I think it was blatantly obvious that Lampard was going to be the first to succeed when he got an eight figure transfer out of West Ham two full seasons before Cole did, and at that stage Cole himself was only playing for two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

People said that Cole was the most technically gifted English footballer since Le Tissier. And I think it was blatantly obvious that Lampard was going to be the first to succeed when he got an eight figure transfer out of West Ham two full seasons before Cole did, and at that stage Cole himself was only playing for two years.

Define "technically gifted" please.

Define "technically gifted" please.
    Joe Cole was tipped to be the next Le Tissier/Gazza for reasons such as his technique on the ball, dribbling skill, and long range shooting.

I presume thats what they meant by "technically gifted". Why would you disagree?

And I think it was blatantly obvious that Lampard was going to be the first to succeed when he got an eight figure transfer out of West Ham two full seasons before Cole did, and at that stage Cole himself was only playing for two years.

Ah yeah, but those of us who recognise class knew he'd be the one long before the eight figure transfer... ;)

Ah yeah, but those of us who recognise class knew he'd be the one long before the eight figure transfer... ;)
    Or those of us who recognise that he was three years older than Cole and was always going to be the first to shine. ;)

Advertisement