Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a thought on CHEATING...

Options
  • 31-05-2005 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Was just thinking during my many hours of unproductive study over the last few days..So lets say there 60,000 people sitting the leaving cert this year doin an average of 7.5 exams thats so lets say that roughly half a million exam papers of roughly 8 pages each that works out at about 4 million pages.. Rite in the last few weeks/days these have to be printed,binded,counted,put in envelopes and posted rite?.. Correct me if im wrong but this i a huge task and i very much doubt its done in some blackened back room in the department of education,by some shifty dwarf who is developing a.d.d..

Surely i mean there must be dozens of people who come in contact with these papers..Some collage student workin part time in a printing office..I mean it cant be physically possible to hide it all,they have to be seperated counted posted..there must be hundreds of people who have seen these papers...WHERE ARE YOU??????? Please please stand up and speak out help me......help us.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

I like the way God's thinking. I dont remember who told me but i was told before that they are sent to Finland for printing... maybe they do all the sorting as well? But yeah your right... how can only a handful of people look after that many pages!

Imagine making up a fake paper and selling it to the population.. U'd make millions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Yeah I thought about that too.

There's some government worker out there, reading the papers, coming home and hinting to their kids about what's coming up. That's pretty much for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

like in the case of english surely they could tell us the questions...these people have all done their leaving and know the bind we're in..Must be someone out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

okay i admit it.......its ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*is now searching the place for chillywilly's house*... gonna beat da questions out of you.

Was just thinking(again)... all these people setting the papers surely have children going through the system at some stage. I bet they get a good look at the papers before the day... what do ye think? :mad:

Also, if you knew the person that was goin to be supervising at your school, wouldnt it be possible to arrange with him/her to see the paper before the exam. All they need is two signatures to say it wasnt opened... wonder does this happen!

Lastly... how many of ye are thinking of bringing in something to 'cog' from?

>> im gonna be tracked down by the department for saying all this << I'll be kidnapped and disappear off the face of the earth. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I think I remember some teacher of mine saying that all the prints are kept in a garda station in athlone or something random like that. that could very well be total bull****. but imagine how good it would be stealing a few of the papers. I wouldn't even sell them, i'd keep them all to myself. its a points race people. everyone is the enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

dRNk SAnTA wrote:
    that could very well be total bull

Certainly whiffs a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Apparently they have a few sets of papers in case something happens to one set. I think one of our teachers told us that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

I heard the thing about the garda station too! But the guards don't print them and everything which brings us back to WHO DOES!!!!

As for the points race/enemy thing , don't even get me started!! Im repeating this year! I was 20 points over my course and it went up 30!!!! :confused: I really think the Irish Educational System is a complete shambles!!

Ouch! That's rough. Can I ask what course it was?

• Advertisement

yeah theres a 2nd set of papers. ^^ Lousy not to share. I think we should ex-communicate that user... only here to profit on our knowledge and leave us all standing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

my mam used to work in the department of ed and she had acces to .............THE VAULT .........where the papers are kept !! so theoretically(sp?)if i waas never born and mam hadnt given up her job to take care of me ye wud have a link in so really my existance has ruined yer chances of getting the papers early............ha ha ...........plus ye dont know my mam and it was ages back so really ye wud only of had access to the like 1993 leaving cert and inter cert papers!!

Cherry_Pie wrote:
    I heard the thing about the garda station too! But the guards don't print them and everything which brings us back to WHO DOES!!!!

As for the points race/enemy thing , don't even get me started!! Im repeating this year! I was 20 points over my course and it went up 30!!!! :confused: I really think the Irish Educational System is a complete shambles!!

ooo thats not good. At most im expecting to be only within 10 or 20 points of my course, if i even get it. Hard Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

If u think about it logically. Its somebody's job well a few people who work full time on getting this ready so it won't be as many as u think. Secondly they probraly aren't hired if they have son/daughter doing leaving. Also if they told and were found out they'd lose their jobs and probraly be persecuted by the gov. Don't mean to be cynical bout it but the chances are slim and none. They are probraly not the type of people to share such sensitive information and dep. knew this when they hired them. BUT the people that write them who know since november. There the ones who u wana find. Not the people doing the admin work. They obviously hold jobs with significant importance. Prob ex-teachers who were class <- sheer stab in the dark.

Either way would get u thinking. NOT Entirely sure but i do remember hearing something about papers being sold on o connell street. not sure if they were the real thing but DEF remember hearing this.

THis topic would get u thinking. I know of someone in college who went in the final days before their exams (finals) and some lecturer gave them the paper. THIs is a fact and i know for sure it happened, maybe the l.c would be tad stricter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

It was nursing, not mega high points or anything, was 340 in Trinity, went up to 370, I wanted DCU but would have settled for Trinity, Dcu went from 350 to 385. I got 360!!! I'm working really hard this year! It was the worst feeling ever because I spent the whole weekend celebrating after results, nursing had never jumped that much!! Ah well, leason to be learn't from it I s'pose!! Any one needs any advice from someone who's been there I'm not the best leaving Cert Student , but I don't mind telling you what to expect and stuff!!! And honestly the whole process isn't as bad as you'd think! First day is tough, but once thats over they all role along!! :)

cessy wrote:
    my mam used to work in the department of ed and she had acces to .............THE VAULT .........where the papers are kept !! so theoretically(sp?)if i waas never born and mam hadnt given up her job to take care of me ye wud have a link in so really my existance has ruined yer chances of getting the papers early............ha ha ...........plus ye dont know my mam and it was ages back so really ye wud only of had access to the like 1993 leaving cert and inter cert papers!!

oook... i know people joke about other peoples birth been an accident, but urs is just a tragedy! ;)

Ah im only messing with ya... Sure it'd be no fun if everyone knew what was coming up. If the whole country could find out what was going to be on the paper you still wouldn't have an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

When I did my leaving cert in '99 the papers were printed outside Ireland, and there were two sets for each subject 'just in case'.

If u think about it logically. Its somebody's job well a few people who work full time on getting this ready so it won't be as many as u think. Secondly they probraly aren't hired if they have son/daughter doing leaving. Also if they told and were found out they'd lose their jobs and probraly be persecuted by the gov. Don't mean to be cynical bout it but the chances are slim and none. They are probraly not the type of people to share such sensitive information and dep. knew this when they hired them. BUT the people that write them who know since november. There the ones who u wana find. Not the people doing the admin work. They obviously hold jobs with significant importance. Prob ex-teachers who were class <- sheer stab in the dark.

Either way would get u thinking. NOT Entirely sure but i do remember hearing something about papers being sold on o connell street. not sure if they were the real thing but DEF remember hearing this.

THis topic would get u thinking. I know of someone in college who went in the final days before their exams (finals) and some lecturer gave them the paper. THIs is a fact and i know for sure it happened, maybe the l.c would be tad stricter though.

There's a chance the people who set the papers are watching this... and probably laughing at us too! All i can say is: Hello 2 da people with da info... can i be ur friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

i'd imagine they employ people to scan through forums for any kind of leak. And yes they do have a second paper maybe thats what they used when they were leaked a few years ago. I know if i found out what the papers were i'd keep my mouth shut just tell my closest friends. If everybody knew them what would be the point? aswel u don't want ur name being spread as the one that seen them and u being the one who feels the heat in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

You're all wrong. We all know the Department staff put on their black costumes, pointed hats and gather over a boiling cauldron and chant hymns until 4 million pages worth of exam paper pop out of nowhere with smoke billowing from all directions with the great god Examtron watching down on them..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

1. (Ex-)Teachers set the exam. They write (usually) three scripts and as far as I know the team who set the paper are given annual leave, or are not teachers anymore etc. They don't know for certain which paper will be given. And as there are three papers, hints are useless because three papers will always cover the whole course.
    2. Yep they're printed in Sweden/Finland or something
    3. The Education Commission people are based in Cormamaddy (?) outside Athlone. Not sure where the papers are held but...
    4. They're kept in the local Garda station immediately prior to the exams. As far as I know the Gardaí bring them down.
    5. People marking the exams go through a screening-process to see if they have any relatives etc sitting the exams. This is to make sure your mam is either not allowed mark the exams or (more likely) given scripts from Ballygobackwards.
    6. Going by the above, I doubt anyone's mam is allowed have access to "the vault"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sugar lumps

Cherry_Pie wrote:

My Home Ec teacher told me that about 30 teachers are rang up and they are asked to suggest questions for the leaving. They are all put on a computer and randomly selected by the computer. Then they are printed off and go straight into the metal box and off to the nearest Garda station!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

Its true that there are 4 papers made and printed my teacher is the chief examiner for paper 2b in tech graph and he helped set the others..then a few days prior to the actual leaving they chief pick one exam.. However he is still teaching but he's a lousey kerry man and his lips are sealed...humph

Anyway we could talk for days about this but the fact is i reckon the papers have already been leaked,i mean how many different "hints" have you heard?its impossible to tell which is genuine,no1 in the right mind is gonna bank on anything to come up.... so may as well just get the head down and concentrate on gettin as much study in, in the next 6days 21hours and 54 min.... I bet when we all come out of the english paper2 and be sayin to them self "what the fudge have i been wastin my time the last few months ,why didnt i just listen to the hint i heard and concentrate on that"..Ah well good luck.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Anyone else long for the British exam system? Aren't they always complaining about exams being leaked but still given and difficulty dropping!?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're also forgetting that the printing process is automated these days. Aside from perhaps sealing the envelopes, most of it would be done by a machine.

The chances of a leak occuring before the day are actually quite slim and are punishable by some pretty severe penalties.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

They have backup papers. If one of the papers gets leaked, they just use a different paper - simple.
    Wasn't there a film called "How to Cheat in your Leaving Cert"? I think in that film they tried to break into that place in Athlone, I don't know what happens though, I've only heard about the film not seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

cheating is well east anyway... i did the supervision last year in 5th i was not supposed to check people as they went in to the bathroom, i wasn't even supposed to chek the room itself, justy bring them there.

so... it would be possible to
    1 bring a phone in and text a buddy for answers, or have info saved in outbox

2 have info written on paper in ur pocket

3 have a small book in your pocket

4 have formulas written on the wall in pen or even spray paint!

NO ONE WOULD EVER KNOW!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

You want to live in my counrty! Our exam so simple, teacher have 20 (or what every number of student) slips,each with number and different question (so no copy) if teacher like you she ask "so Amadia, what you know perfect" and you say what and she say "I see", she say that interesting and then she say, that sound like "slip 1 or 2". It very nice, but if you no be nice to teacher all year she not tell (like it supposed to be) or she tell wrong!

If you want to cheet write it on piece of paper and put it into calculator where but of paper go, people always mess with their calculator, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

On cheating in the actually exam, it would actually be so easy to cheat. I don't know in general but only 3 examiners come in for whole year, that's about 50 students to each examiner and it would be so so easy to just take out some notes from your pocket and copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

*Angel* wrote:
    On cheating in the actually exam, it would actually be so easy to cheat. I don't know in general but only 3 examiners come in for whole year, that's about 50 students to each examiner and it would be so so easy to just take out some notes from your pocket and copy.

yes thats if there is 150 in your year....there is only 60 in mine!!

Advertisement