Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a thought on CHEATING...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm sure it has been done before but not to an extent that anyones noticed it. Whats to stop you putting in notes in the cistern of a selected toiler (sealed in plastic of course) and taking them out when you go to the toilet? Or even easier, tape the notes to your leg and read away while your having your shíte!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

Funkstard wrote:
    I'm sure it has been done before but not to an extent that anyones noticed it. Whats to stop you putting in notes in the cistern of a selected toiler (sealed in plastic of course) and taking them out when you go to the toilet? Or even easier, tape the notes to your leg and read away while your having your shíte!?

Knowing my luck... there would be someone sittin in that toilet right at the moment i want to use it.

Ye do realise that if ye start talking about cheating again this thread will be locked too! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jdevlin

It could be possible that someone who set one of the 05 exam would go on a site like this pretend to be an LC student and make predictions. It would be a way of anonomously leading people in the right direction. The problem is we wouldn't listen. Also, its just not gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

*shudders in horror*

my god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Funkstard wrote:

Not in leaving cert now, but I know that my school checks both students (ie, searches them) before the exams and they check the toilets just after the exam starts!

Fairly damn serious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Fobia wrote:
    Not in leaving cert now, but I know that my school checks both students (ie, searches them) before the exams and they check the toilets just after the exam starts!

Fairly damn serious...

Well, won't work in your school but maybe not everyones school checks toilets. Someone could try lash the notes in the cistern, they might not be found, but if they are just make sure you haven't written your name on them!

Theres always the small problem of so many exams being a total speed trial. You barely have time to think let alone go to the bog to cheat.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i worked on the Leaving cert 2 years ago,

all students are searched, the room is searched, Then locked 12 hours before the exam,

any area that the Student has access to is searched, ( i.e toliet)

room is locked for 12 hours

**********WHEN THE EXAM STARTS*******************

1. students can only leave to use the toliet,
    2. students leaving to go the toliet are again searched,
    3. toliet is searched before use,
    4. toliet is searched after use,
    5. student is searched before re-entering the Exam.

The law states that A female student can only be searched by a male , IF a second person is there.

tbh, its not worth cheating,

Joe

well if maths is bringin you down
    it might put you in a better mood....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i've never been searched and i know of noone who has been searched. i don't think anyone has a right to search you unless they are a member of the guardaí.

they can ask to search you, and you can allow them.

durin the junior cert
    there were students outside the room
    id laugh if they tried to search me
    my examiner was an old man (id like to see him try)

and theres no one else
    so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Fishie wrote:
    They have backup papers. If one of the papers gets leaked, they just use a different paper - simple.

True. Happened in English and German in 1994 (both at Leaving Cert Higher Level).

still brings shudders to so many ppl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

A friend of mine was suposidly monitoring the leaving cert last year. People came out during the physics exam took out their books and actually started reading on the desk where he was sitting. As he put it he's doing it this year and why would he rat them out? Easiest thing to do is to have your notes in your pockets and when u get stuck make a note of it then go out to the jacks towards the end and look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

What happened in 1994? How were the exams leaked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

there seems to be a huge cover up... i cant find a single thing on it!!!
    and if it cant be found on the internet...

i found this though and it is very interesting -i have to say i agree with most of it and wish someone with power would take note.. http://www.tadhgohiggins.com/writing/politics/education/submission_points_commission.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

They can really search you!? I do Junior Cert here (I fail, I only in country little while) but they say to me we search you, I say they can eat water weasel (I still not know any curse, but you get drift), I think they just laugh, I was not in my Irish clotes so i suppose they not dare but can they really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Funkstard wrote:
    What happened in 1994? How were the exams leaked?

Teachers in some southside Dublin schools had both of the papers I mentioned. Sub papers were used, so no harm done. I'll admit it's a strange combo of subjects but German is my area so that's how I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Shamrok wrote:
    Teachers in some southside Dublin schools had both of the papers I mentioned.

That sounds so dodgy. could re-ignite the whole northside vs southside argument as to why southsiders score higher. Its one to ponder on alright. :rolleyes:

Nah i kid, i kid. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

One of my old teachers told me the papers are printed somewhere in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

I think you can get that film "How to cheat in the leaving cert" in Laser video store on St. Great georges street
    Heard its not very good though
    In terms of cheating, girls, wear skirts and write on your legs, when u need answers, simply go to the bathroom, boys can do it too. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Gizmodeon wrote:
    In terms of cheating, girls, wear skirts and write on your legs, when u need answers, simply go to the bathroom, boys can do it too. :p

The best idea I've heard so far, girls could wear trousers too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

the student exam assistants are the weak link in the chain. they are like 5th or TY students. the will one day sit their exams. they know what its like.

i did exam assistant last year. and i brought people to the toilet. there are never searches in my school except the examiner checks the exam centre room before the tests. when i brought people to the toilet i waited outside. meaning there were 3 doors between me and the candidate. i would never have thought about searching anyone. its an insult. to search someone is to imply they are of a cheating disposition.

anywho. we all know the best way for notes is a handkeerchief written on in UV pen. it doesnt make ruffling sounds when you unfold it. it is a normal piece of equipment you would have on you, perhaps. and if its discovered, its just a handkerchief. obviously you just have one of those little UV keyring lights, if its attached to your keys no one will notice. and then you look at the examiner as if they are crazy and paranoid. and the examiner blushes. apologises. says nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

''The failing of the Leaving Certificate and the points-based college admissions system which accompanies is not due to limited resources or limited opportunities: the problem is that the Leaving Certificate and the Points System assumes that there is only one type of intelligence, when in fact there are many different types. 'If you are not intelligent in our way', the system says to each and every student, 'you are not intelligent at all'.''

That's MY WHOLE POINT!..I rule at english and art and languages (ie creative side of the brain) but i suck COCKBALLS at MATHS!! I really can't do it at all, its a mystery to me.

I read shakespeare in my spare time, I LOVE YEATS AND WILDE AND HAVE BOUGHT MANY A biography/book/whatever the hell on them with my OWN money with my own FREE WILL and actually 'educate myself' outside of school hours!Then I come into school and I am looked down upon by snobby middle aged geriatrics just because one side of my brain is retarded and I can't do long division to save my life!..Never mind being able to formulate a coherent sentence on the visceral quality of adam's curse..NEVERMIND everything else, if you can't do ****ing MATHS you can't do ANYTHING apparently.

GRRR *seethe* *rant*

END

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Yes... yes you can... work at it and get a D3 in OL maths and you're alright for just about any course someone of your creative disposition would want to do. Obviously engineering, physics, C.S. etc. require maths but I doubt you would want to study any of those subjects. There are even classes / grinds run by places specifically geared towards students aiming for a D3 in OL maths.

And all this fscking moaning about the way the Leaving Cert. is - I'm a quick thinker, my strength does not lie in remembering reams of information and regurgitating it, it lies in solving problems. I have to do the same exams as you, so does the artist whose strength is in visualising abstract ideas and putting them on canvas. So does the writer who can create wonderful stories given just a page and a pen.

The system isn't perfect, but right now you're best interests is not to change the system but to work within it as much as you can and get your best out of it. So push away from the computer, hit the books and study.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Aye, d3 is what I'm heading for lol :-x

Advertisement