Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed limit increase N4 from M50 to M4

Options
  • 31-05-2005 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Finally! Only saw the 80km/h sign (immediately after the M50 roundabout going westbound) today. The old 60km/h limit in conjunction with numerous speed checks was a travesty

The old limit applied from the M50 to the exit after the Foxhunter's where the limit increased to 80km/h. The new limit is 80km/h all the way from the M50 to the start of the M4 motorway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Now if we can get them to do the Stillorgan Dualer...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agree Ernie, N4 was number two, N11 is still number one :(

Speed limits are one thing, but when the top Garda man shows his face on telly promising an end to the shooting of the fish in the barrel just to increase the money intake and to concentrate on dangerous roads instead and the next day the gatso van is out there again it makes one wonder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

That's great news and must have been enabled by blocking the median gap at the Texaco. Is it upped on the inbound side of the road too? Eventually some sanity, but it's probably only temporary as there'll surely be restrictions again when the widening is taking place.

On the N11, I feel at about half the junctions could have the median closed without causing great trouble. How many entries into Stillorgan are actually needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Thanks for the info unkel....shows how much attention I pay to the speed limit signs (well u don't tend to when a road is on your daily commute & u know the speed limit already) but anyways....is it 80km/ph on the inbound lane too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

interesting news - thanks unkel. I use this road quite a bit but it's not my daily commute (thank god).

what are the plans re: road widening? how far will it stretch? i'm presuming it is from the foxhunter/texaco towards lucan?

it seems though this will just push the congestion further up towards the newcastle crossroads which are just crazy at rush hour - especially if your coming from superquinn side or the village side. the recent change in traffic light signalling has helped (a little)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I really don't know how that gap in the median was ever justifiable so close to a perfectly good flyover and with the underpass at the entrance to liffey valley so close in the other direction. Perhaps the golf club have a Mr. Lawlor as a member. As for the newcastle road junction, aren't there plans to build a flyover with sliplanes there?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

alias no.9 wrote:
    I really don't know how that gap in the median was ever justifiable so close to a perfectly good flyover and with the underpass at the entrance to liffey valley so close in the other direction. Perhaps the golf club have a Mr. Lawlor as a member. As for the newcastle road junction, aren't there plans to build a flyover with sliplanes there?
    I have a feeling that it was George Redmond who helped in that more than Mr. Lawlor.
    As for the flyover/sliplanes - something may be planned but I doubt it will begin before we all have great grandchildren!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

jlang wrote:

On the N11, I feel at about half the junctions could have the median closed without causing great trouble. How many entries into Stillorgan are actually needed?

I think the limit on the N11 has more to do with the number of houses, businesses, petrol stations than open medians. I'd be amazed to see the limit raised there ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It makes me wonder if the people setting the limits have any clue what they're doing or are they just making it up as they go along. OK, the removal of the median crossing point is a factor but there's plenty of road between there and the M50 which hasn't had any changes. So now it's acceptable to do 80 km/h on that stretch but last week it was only acceptable to do 60 km/h :confused: :rolleyes: Also, the awful piece of planning that is the Texaco garage exit remains unchanged yet the limit there is gone from 60 to 80 km/h Personally I think 60 km/h was about right for that point but overall I welcome the change to 80 km/h. 90% of drivers will still ignore the new limit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

alias no.9 wrote:
    The underpass at Liffey Valley only opened in 99. The median at the golf club was there since the Lucan bypass was opened. Before the opening of Liffey valley, anyone exiting the golf club would have to travel to the M50 round about to go towards Lucan.

It's amazing the short memories of people here, who are just willing to make everything into a corruption issue. It's quite simple, you cannot when upgrading a road remove a right of way from a landowner, in this case, the golf club, without providing an alternative route. You must also remember, the gold club lost land with the widing of the N4 to Dual carrageway at that point.

DubTony wrote:
    I think the limit on the N11 has more to do with the number of houses, businesses, petrol stations than open medians. I'd be amazed to see the limit raised there ... :(
    I was thinking more of traffic light reduction than speed limit increases. Even if the limit was 100kph on the N11 and you still wouldn't save that much time because you have to stop so often.

Bogger77 wrote:
    You must also remember, the gold club lost land with the widing of the N4 to Dual carrageway at that point.

i doubt they lost it, im sure they were WELL compensated for it

Bogger77 wrote:
    The underpass at Liffey Valley only opened in 99. The median at the golf club was there since the Lucan bypass was opened. Before the opening of Liffey valley, anyone exiting the golf club would have to travel to the M50 round about to go towards Lucan.

It's amazing the short memories of people here, who are just willing to make everything into a corruption issue. It's quite simple, you cannot when upgrading a road remove a right of way from a landowner, in this case, the golf club, without providing an alternative route. You must also remember, the gold club lost land with the widing of the N4 to Dual carrageway at that point.

Quite correct about the underpass opening in 1999 but before that there was a set of traffic lights at the end of the fonthill road where those poor misfortunate golfers could get back on a westbound direction after exiting from the course. Either way it was a stupidly unsafe and totally unnecessary median crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

ciarsd wrote:
    i doubt they lost it, im sure they were WELL compensated for it

If something was CPO'ed why shouldnt you be compensated for it. You dont pick a figure and say to the NRA thats how much I want for it, they have established rates for these types of things

BrianD3 wrote:
    90% of drivers will still ignore the new limit though.

was just thinking that to myself there - the 90% of drivers who ignored the 60KMH limit and done 80KMP+ will now not be happy with their 80KMH and will more than likely proceed to do 90KMH+

I cannot see the White or Green Gatso van man passing up an opportunity like this...

Nuttzz wrote:
    If something was CPO'ed why shouldnt you be compensated for it. You dont pick a figure and say to the NRA thats how much I want for it, they have established rates for these types of things

your miss-quoting me nutz :)

naturally you should be compensated for such... and rightly so. i was commenting on "lost land due to the upgrade"

kbannon wrote:
    As for the flyover/sliplanes - something may be planned but I doubt it will begin before we all have great grandchildren!

unfortunately i'd have to agree with your view. it pains me when i pass through this junction...it'll only get worse with adamstown, laraghcon, ongar and the rat-run that is the strawberry beds at peak times :eek:

ciarsd wrote:
    unfortunately i'd have to agree with your view. it pains me when i pass through this junction...it'll only get worse with adamstown, laraghcon, ongar and the rat-run that is the strawberry beds at peak times :eek:
    Aparently Adamstown will be a self contained town and will despite about 20000 people living there it won't affect traffic. Thats what the developers were saying! :rolleyes:

kbannon wrote:
    Aparently Adamstown will be a self contained town and will despite about 20000 people living there it won't affect traffic. Thats what the developers were saying! :rolleyes:

didnt you hear? they are installing star trek type teleporters into every house...

What would be the situation if you were gatso'ed on the road and it was 60kmph and by the time you got to court the limit had been increased to 80kmph, could you argue that the 60kmph limit was too low?

• Advertisement

if you were caught breaking a limit then you broke the law and not future changes would have a bearing on it methinks!

alias no.9 wrote:
    Quite correct about the underpass opening in 1999 but before that there was a set of traffic lights at the end of the fonthill road where those poor misfortunate golfers could get back on a westbound direction after exiting from the course. Either way it was a stupidly unsafe and totally unnecessary median crossing.
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't junction that had a U turn lane. The NRA/CoCo cannot remove a right of way, without providing a suitable alternative route. The only reason the median crossing was dangerous is the petrol station opposite, which opened after contruction of the road, and that was due to Redmond.

Just remember that for all areas that are bypassed, there's locals who are diverted out of their way to make way for the commuters

hearings/trials in court are judged by laws in effect at time of offence

Nuttzz wrote:
    didnt you hear? they are installing star trek type teleporters into every house...

What would be the situation if you were gatso'ed on the road and it was 60kmph and by the time you got to court the limit had been increased to 80kmph, could you argue that the 60kmph limit was too low?
    Makes no difference, you'd have broken the Posted limit.

thought as much, it must be a b!tch though if you were done for going 75kmph on it and the following week they upped the limit to 80kmph though!

Nuttzz wrote:
    thought as much, it must be a b!tch though if you were done for going 75kmph on it and the following week they upped the limit to 80kmph though!
    75k/h is 25% above the current posted limit, I'd feel an idiot getting down that much over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

jlang wrote:
    I was thinking more of traffic light reduction than speed limit increases. Even if the limit was 100kph on the N11 and you still wouldn't save that much time because you have to stop so often.
    Yeah, and they keep putting new ones on it - around Cabinteely/Wyattville, extra set at the galloping green.

The number of lights, and the sequence is silly on that road....

Bogger77 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't junction that had a U turn lane. The NRA/CoCo cannot remove a right of way, without providing a suitable alternative route. The only reason the median crossing was dangerous is the petrol station opposite, which opened after contruction of the road, and that was due to Redmond.

Just remember that for all areas that are bypassed, there's locals who are diverted out of their way to make way for the commuters

The petrol station about which Redmond was charged was in fact the Esso in palmerstown and not the texaco beside the foxhunter. As for people being diverted out of their way, the only ones affected in any significant way were golfers. How many are locals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Noticed it this morning too, it's a nice change to the 60kph. It was tough coming off the M50 at 120kph into a snails pace at 60kph. Not that that made any difference because people (including myself), always tipped on at about 70 and then slammed the brakes upon noticing the Gatso sitting up.

They should make the other side of the dueler a 80kph zone too, never a Gatso up there, although I have seen them just before the Welding Company on the hill.

Glad to see that median closed at the Texaco. I'm pretty sure I screeched the car to get to the other side, to get some cheap fuel. It took ages if there was traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

They should make the other side of the dueler a 80kph zone too...

UPDATED, from the M4 all the way up to the King's Hospital footbridge is not a 80kph zone too, then it's a 60kph zone.

Advertisement