Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed limit increase N4 from M50 to M4

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

alias no.9 wrote:
    I really don't know how that gap in the median was ever justifiable so close to a perfectly good flyover and with the underpass at the entrance to liffey valley so close in the other direction. Perhaps the golf club have a Mr. Lawlor as a member. As for the newcastle road junction, aren't there plans to build a flyover with sliplanes there?
    iirc, it came out in one of the tribunals that it was put in to allow access to the petrol station (Texaco I think) beside the Foxhunter. I think it was Lawlor, as opposed to Redmond, who allegedly recieved a nice 'political contribution' for his civic-mindedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fletch wrote:
    is it 80km/ph on the inbound lane too?

It is since this morning :)
    Bogger77 wrote:
    the gold club lost land

Freudian misspelling? :p
    ciarsd wrote:
    the 90% of drivers who ignored the 60KMH limit and done 80KMP+ will now not be happy with their 80KMH and will more than likely proceed to do 90KMH+

Dunno about that. Most people now seem to be doing around the 80km/h now
    UPDATED, from the M4 all the way up to the King's Hospital footbridge is not a 80kph zone too, then it's a 60kph zone.

You're confusing me now. As far as I can see, the whole of the N4 between the M50 and the M4 is now 80km/h BOTH WAYS. Please correct me if I'm wrong

And I too feel that that median crossing should never have been there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

unkel wrote:

You're confusing me now. As far as I can see, the whole of the N4 between the M50 and the M4 is now 80km/h BOTH WAYS. Please correct me if I'm wrong

And I too feel that that median crossing should never have been there

pretty sure your right, took a close look at it today as drove that stretch in both directions and definitly 80 Km/h signs in all directions...still didnt stop car 3 cars up in the overtaking lane doing bang on 60km/h though going from Lucan to Liffy Valley.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

unkel wrote:
    fletch wrote:
    is it 80km/ph on the inbound lane too?
    It is since this morning :)
    I noticed that alright this morning unkel! Yay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

samo wrote:
    pretty sure your right, took a close look at it today as drove that stretch in both directions and definitly 80 Km/h signs in all directions...still didnt stop car 3 cars up in the overtaking lane doing bang on 60km/h though going from Lucan to Liffy Valley.....
    Most mornings you'd be lucky to be doing 20Km/h there at rush hour.
    (not for me tho.....ah the joys of flexi-time) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Nuttzz wrote:
    thought as much, it must be a b!tch though if you were done for going 75kmph on it and the following week they upped the limit to 80kmph though!

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. I was clocked going through there in at 75kph in February and I got the fine last week.... sick or what :mad:

Ah well I shoud have known better as I use that road quite regularly, but for some reason I didn't see the gatzo until it was too late. 80 euros and 2 points on my licence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

stevenmu wrote:
    iirc, it came out in one of the tribunals that it was put in to allow access to the petrol station (Texaco I think) beside the Foxhunter. I think it was Lawlor, as opposed to Redmond, who allegedly recieved a nice 'political contribution' for his civic-mindedness.

Redmond did porridge for corruption and bribary in relation to allowing access to the esso in palmerstown, technically on the lucan bypass, not the texaco beside the foxhunter.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2001/04/15/story343034928.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Traffic is just mental inbound on the Lucan Bypass. Seems to be created mainly by the traffic lights on the roundabout, and traffic build-up going onto the M50, Northbound and Southbound.

Glad I was going to Liexlip, instead of going into town.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Traffic is just mental inbound on the Lucan Bypass. Seems to be created mainly by the traffic lights on the roundabout, and traffic build-up going onto the M50, Northbound and Southbound.

Glad I was going to Liexlip, instead of going into town.
    The problem is threefold:-
    1. the traffic lights - what cretin came up with the idea of using traffic lights on a roundabout?
    2. cars coming from Lucan and going onto the M50 southbound often use the center lane and end up blocking those going towards the city.
    3. cars coming from the M50 southbound and heading towards Lucan often stop on the yellow box junction.

It takes me much longer to get from Leixlip over the M50 than from the M50 into Jervis St.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I'm not sure that the traffic lights are the only problem. I used to travel south on the M50 joining at Liffey Valley. I travel by motorbike and can filter past the hold ups. Traffic that has past through the toll bridge just doesn't drive away quickly enough from the toll bridge. Maybe a partitioned slip road to get cars joining the road to travel at 80-100kmph would help. Anyways you always get muppets travelling at 80kmph in the overtaking lane, just cruising. Motorway speeds don't apply until past Ballymount exit. The 2 junctions are way too close to allow vehicles from Naas road to join safely while others are trying to leave at Ballymount. In order to get traffic up to speed, they could try putting a set of lights under the bridge near B&Q to control the gaps and get people to drive safely. There is a fricking minimum speed on the motorway too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a_ominous wrote:
    they could try putting a set of lights under the bridge near B&Q to control the gaps and get people to drive safely.
    Are you suggesting placing traffic lights on a motorway? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Yup. Lights on a motorway. To be used only when there's a big backlog of traffic. Traffic studies have shown that after a road has been blocked, there is a better flow (higher speed and more vehicles) if there is a large gap for drivers to accelerate into. Letting cars trickle past a point does not allow them to get to max speed quickly enough.

Or they could try making the N4/M50 southbound slip road longer and put a concrete barrier to separate the traffic. Concrete barrier would allow proof of concept on a temporary basis. Then all the merged lanes from the toll bridge could drive up to speed limit sooner and merging traffic should also be travelling quicker joining the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nuttzz wrote:
    What would be the situation if you were gatso'ed on the road and it was 60kmph and by the time you got to court the limit had been increased to 80kmph, could you argue that the 60kmph limit was too low?
    Imagine if you were doing 75 when the limit was 80 and they then changed the limit to 60, because they felt the road was unsafe for 80. Should you be prosecuted retrospectively in such a case?

How about claiming this year's larger tax credits for last year?

Advertisement