Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points for college

Options
  • 01-06-2005 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I've applied to a course that has 60 places and last year's points were 350. Over the past few years it's only fluctuated up and down by 5 points.

I don't know much about this stuff, but in reality, what's the minimum points I'll have to get in order to be guaranteed this course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Cherry_Pie

My course last year was 350 and went up to 385!! Thats why I'm repeating! So if you want me to be honest , aim for 390 so you're not let down! What course is it btw??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Guaranteed? 600.

99%: 400

Most probably: 370.

More than likely: 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

u can NEVER be sure of ur course unless u get 600 so that post is true.
    I remember some cao lad giving a speech at the higher options and he was talking about one time some course fluctuated by 100 points. could have been civil engineering somewhere maybe cork because one year everybody wanted 2do it and the next year poiints had been so high previous year people didn't bother applying.

And really what am i doing at twenty to one typing on a forum, i need to get a life soon. ROll on this lc quick before i go mad. THis year has been a big build up even 5th year. just can't wait to get it over with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

all you can do is just aim for your best in each subject, because the points aren't known until the results come out and the CAO know how many qualified, ect.
    so basically, aim high, you might be disapointed but at least you know you tried!
    cos do you think you'd feel worse knowning you could have done more, or that you did everything you could but you just couldn't quite manage it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

The course is Computer Science in TCD. I got 425 points on my mock. Hopefully I can beat that in my actual LC... hopefully. So 425 points would sort me most definitely for that course?

CS TCD from cao.ie

2004 - 350
    2003 - 340
    2002-345
    2001-420
    2000 465
    1999 - 475
    1998 455

That's a lot. Is it likely to go up by that much again this year though?

who knows in fairness. i'd be surrpised. but i don't give a sh1t either. i'm sure you'll be grand. why you want to do this other than CA in DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I was talking to someone who works in the admissions office at UCD asking what international subjects are accepted as I'll be applying with A Levels and he said in all fairness the demand for CS isn't that high anymore. I'd say 400 and above will easily sort you out.

• Advertisement

who knows in fairness. i'd be surrpised. but i don't give a sh1t either. i'm sure you'll be grand. why you want to do this other than CA in DCU?

Trinity is a 10 minute walk :D

exiztone wrote:
    Trinity is a 10 minute walk :D

i like your style. ease of access i beleive is one of the most important factors when choosing 3rd level course.

Advertisement