Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the most from Gigabit Ethernet

Options
  • 01-06-2005 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

just wondering what other's experiences here are with 1000Mb LAN.

Ive been using it for a while, it is certainly faster than 10/100, but it usually peaks out at 400Kb\s for me and sometimes drops as low as 200, so I have a few questions.

Does using Cat5e or Cat6 make a difference?
    Is there a noticeable difference between makes of cards & switches?

im using the cheapo 5port GB switch on komplett with cat 5e cable. All the connected equipment is in the same room. The "server" is running linux.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I think that gigabit ethernet only makes sense with PCI-X adapters. I don't know if a regular PCI bus can make it anywhere near 1Gb/s. And the gigabit thing refers to a protocol-less transfer speed. You need to factor in protocol overheads. Possibly other environmental factors like collisions and things will have an effect on performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmm, food for thought!

32bit PCI is 133MB\s, okay divided up between soundcard, HDD's etc.

thats 1064Mb\s. ie just over one gigabit.

okay, thats just answered the question for me! I thought I ran those sums before, but it was lat at night!

So..........any advise on how to refine protocol overheads? Disable netbios (shooting in dark here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

So..........any advise on how to refine protocol overheads?

either locate a UDP file transfer utility (then you dont have the TCP overhead.. no SYN/ACK packets etc.) or just read http://rdweb.cns.vt.edu/public/notes/win2k-tcpip.htm to improve tcp performance.

Advertisement