Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washington Post Confirms Deep Throat Identity

• 01-06-2005 7:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭

Perhaps one of the biggest journalistic mysteries of the last thirty years was solved last night as the Washington Post confirmed that W. Mark Felt was the Watergate source known as Deep Throat.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/?nav=globaltop

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Pretty major stuff, but is Felt open to any legal ramifications now? Surely few would see him go to prison for doing something that can't be argued against by moral people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭jmcc

flogen wrote:
    Pretty major stuff, but is Felt open to any legal ramifications now? Surely few would see him go to prison for doing something that can't be argued against by moral people
    I'm not sure about the statute of limitations on this kind of thing. (Pat Buchanan called him a traitor but Buchanan was a speech writer for Nixon and is a bit of an extremist.) However what Felt did was in the public interest. Woodward is supposed to be working on a book about the whole period so it will be interesting to see what it says. There is going to be a lot of vested interests jockeying for position on this story now that Deep Throat has been identified.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

jmcc wrote:
    I'm not sure about the statute of limitations on this kind of thing.

I thought that was 25 years in the States (apart from murder, which carries none), so should be expired by now. Unless treason, or whatever their equivalent is, also carries no statue of limitations.

Either way, can you see a 91 year old man doing porridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

eoin_s wrote:
    I thought that was 25 years in the States (apart from murder, which carries none), so should be expired by now. Unless treason, or whatever their equivalent is, also carries no statue of limitations.

Either way, can you see a 91 year old man doing porridge?

And it would seem he's ill at the moment which is why the story is coming out now. I doubt there'll be any legal issues with it but it's interesting to see the mystery finally resolved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

After looking more into the whole thing, it's an odd situation. The agreement was that the identity would be kept a secret until Deep Throat died, it seems as though his family have convinced him to come out and recieve praise for his actions. Given his medial state, maybe he decided that he did want to see the reaction before he died, but if he wanted praise he could have come out by himself a long time ago, but he didn't. I doubt he became an insider for the fame of it anyway, he was just trying to do right by his country.
    Some figure his family are hoping to cash in on him while he's still alive, I don't know though, it's just wierd

• Advertisement
Advertisement