Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the Irish tattoo lovers?

Options
  • 01-06-2005 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

G'day,

Its been quite a number of years since I have been in Ireland and wanted to see how the tattoo scene was going down. The last time I was over there I got a kanji tattoo (arggghh!) by some South African dude on Sth William St in Dublin. At that time kanjis where 'cool' but since then I had it covered over in a Polynesian style tattoo.

What I wanted to know was:
    Has tattooing become as popular as it is in other countries such as the US and Australia?

What styles of tattoos are most popular?

Who are the top artists?

Anyone any good tattoo pictures that they would like to show off for my monthly ezine?

Declan
    Melbourne

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

dSTAR wrote:
    G'day,

Its been quite a number of years since I have been in Ireland and wanted to see how the tattoo scene was going down. The last time I was over there I got a kanji tattoo (arggghh!) by some South African dude on Sth William St in Dublin. At that time kanjis where 'cool' but since then I had it covered over in a Polynesian style tattoo.

Has tattooing become as popular as it is in other countries such as the US and Australia?

Who are the top artists?

Anyone any good tattoo pictures that they would like to show off for my monthly ezine?

Declan
    Melbourne

Walking around the city you will see alot of people that have a tattoo and plenty of sleeves also so I guess it is just as popular but our population is smaller. I don't think any style is "in fashion" at the moment like the way kanji and tribal designs were a few years back and the three most popular places at the moment would be Snakebite, Zulu and Celestrial ring.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

...the three most popular places at the moment would be Snakebite, Zulu and Celestrial ring.

Nice one...I hit on Snakebites and Celestial Rings websites but didn't find one for Zulu. Lots of broken links and not much gallery pictures on either site so didn't really get much look at the artists work.

Declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

dSTAR wrote:
    Nice one...I hit on Snakebites and Celestial Rings websites but didn't find one for Zulu. Lots of broken links and not much gallery pictures on either site so didn't really get much look at the artists work.

Declan

Quite a few different artists and the sites aren't really up to date. Snakebite tend to have a different artist every few months but the artist they have at the moment is good and his name is Dim.

Are you coming back to Ireland in the near future?

Mark.

Yeah I came across Dims name must check him out.

Probably won't be going back to Ireland for another year or two although I would like to check out the tattoo convention going on in Dublin in June.

I can dream I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Neesha

• Advertisement

Thnx for the link Neesha

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

Conincidently, i got a kanji done by dimm just three months ago! maybe they're making a comeback!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭She-Ra

dSTAR wrote:
    G'day,

Who are the top artists?

Declan
    Melbourne

the dude your talkin about is Manik Fish.. he's down in Na-haaavan now in the Old corn market i think its called... nice bloke.. oden my first ever tattoo... awwwwwww
    tat's are maybe even TOO popular now with people gettin stuff to say they have it and tribal seems to be most popular.... all the above is however.. only my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I don't think manixs is south african. i think who your talking bout is sean he now has his own shop called zulu in temple bar

I don't think manixs is south african. i think who your talking bout is sean he now has his own shop called zulu in temple bar
    no Manik is South African and he worked at the back of Ms Fantasia on St William St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

what a coincidence, sean took over from mannix in ms fantasias. maybe its where all south african tattooists start out here

what a coincidence, sean took over from mannix in ms fantasias. maybe its where all south african tattooists start out here

lol,ya never know!!! i don'tknow who was there after Manik though.. never went back to find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

Zulu tattoos website is www.kwazulutattoo.com
    Sean, Gav, Justin and Bev are all good mates of mine. Really nice people.
    I would definatley recomend them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

Sh!t and Tara...Heya Tara

She-Ra wrote:
    the dude your talkin about is Manik Fish.. he's down in Na-haaavan now in the Old corn market i think its called... nice bloke...

Yeah thats him!! He has some pretty full on tattoos (particularly on his chest from what I can remember). Anyone know if there is a picture of him going around? I know he was featured in some paper or magazine like the Dublin Event Guide or dSide about 5 or 6 years ago...

Declan

Advertisement