Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some words for all LC students

Options
  • 01-06-2005 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

I feel like spreading some advice this morning, so here goes:

While it may feel like the biggest deal ever, the leaving cert is just a tiny tiny blip in your life. I did mine in 2002. I worked an average amount from Feb to May, took plenty of breaks. Of course I wanted to do well, but at the same time, I knew that its all just one major hype by the media/teachers etc.

I did the LC, got what I wanted in College. My story is straightforward, but even if I hadn't got what i wanted, there were about 5 different ways into my course AND just about every other course in the country, as proved by loads of people who entered my college course by many different means.

And so, from Sept 2002, I began college and since that day, I have NEVER -- EVER-- heard the LC discussed in terms of what people got (in any aspect of college/social life, ever).

As far as I know, people dont put their LC on their CV in most cases if they go to third level. Im on work placement from coll, and all that my employers want to know is what I CAN do, not what I DID three years ago, when I was still at school.

So trust me, no matter if you go to work, or go to college, the LC is forgotten in such a short space of time.

In short, do your best and it'll all work itself out. I know you're all stressed,( I have a sister doing the LC) and prob wont believe me, but try to calm. It really really is a small thing.

And this time next yr, I challenge most of you to name your 7 LC results exactly. You'll certainly fail that :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Indeed. I remember how our teachers at the time were so keen to pile on the pressure and went as far as insisting that the rest of your life could hinge on how well you do in the Leaving Cert. It doesn't. Now, six years later it's a minor blip on the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i take far too many breaks, in fact i have been on a 2hour one since i got up. ah well i just try to do6hours a day and i am happy out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

6ix wrote:
    While it may feel like the biggest deal ever, the leaving cert is just a tiny tiny blip in your life. ..............................................
    I did the LC, got what I wanted in College. My story is straightforward, but even if I hadn't got what i wanted, there were about 5 different ways into my course AND just about every other course in the country, as proved by loads of people who entered my college course by many different means.

It is a pretty big deal, ok you got what you wanted in College, yes there are other ways of getting to do what you want but few straight forward ones and many longer ways, but the fact is most people want to get straight into college and get their degree/diploma/whatever as soon as they can.

It is a big deal, it can infact determine what you choose as a profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Angel I'm doubting you've actually done the Leaving Cert.

One cant be so naive as to think that your future career should be shaped by the narrow minds of the Irish education system.

If you let the Leaving Cert course/Exams determine your future, that's your choice. I was only trying to point out that there are so many other options.

I dont know of anyone (in third level/working) of my age who thinks anything more of the leaving cert than I do, that's no exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

It *is* a big deal. Of course, there are lots of ways into a career or profession, but doing it through your LC results is probably the quickest and most economic way to go about it.

So its not a disaster if you mess it up, but try not to :D

6ix - I did the LC in 1980 and I can recall my results exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Point taken. Of course it's the quickest way through to getting a degree/whatever. However, that's not addressing how over-hyped it is.

The fact is, the Leaving cert is not as important as many students believe. The fact that you can name all your LC results is testament to your excellent memory, not necessarily its importance to your career.
    *Angel* wrote:

It is a big deal, it can infact determine what you choose as a profession.

No it can't, you can make that choice for yourself. It can constrain what you can choose as a third level course, but that's about all.

Your career/profession is not your third level course.

I began this topic to put forward my opinion that, while its important to do your best in the LC if you wish to go to third level, its not the end of the world, so just do your best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

thanking you for the advice. I think you can understand though, that at the moment, it seems like this decides the rest of our lives for us... ask us again in a few weeks and itd be a different story im sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

6ix wrote:
    I feel like spreading some advice this morning, so here goes:

While it may feel like the biggest deal ever, the leaving cert is just a tiny tiny blip in your life. I did mine in 2002. I worked an average amount from Feb to May, took plenty of breaks. Of course I wanted to do well, but at the same time, I knew that its all just one major hype by the media/teachers etc.

And so, from Sept 2002, I began college and since that day, I have NEVER -- EVER-- heard the LC discussed in terms of what people got (in any aspect of college/social life, ever).

As far as I know, people dont put their LC on their CV in most cases if they go to third level. Im on work placement from coll, and all that my employers want to know is what I CAN do, not what I DID three years ago, when I was still at school.

So trust me, no matter if you go to work, or go to college, the LC is forgotten in such a short space of time.

In short, do your best and it'll all work itself out. I know you're all stressed,( I have a sister doing the LC) and prob wont believe me, but try to calm. It really really is a small thing.

And this time next yr, I challenge most of you to name your 7 LC results exactly. You'll certainly fail that :)

thank you!! Your clearly a very smart person, even though im doing the leaving cert this year i can see what you are talking about. Im going to let myself control my career, not my 3rd level course. Of course im going to college to persue a career(media arts in my case), but its rediculous the amount of pressure and hype there is around the leaving cert.

If I do badly or make a crumby course decision it will take me longer to get into a career i like, but im in no hurry!!

all we can do is our best, and even if we do crap next week, like 6ix said, there are about 5 different ways in to your prefered course!!

well thats my 2 cents :)

Advertisement