Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fish In Barrel Speed Checks

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Perhaps you could explain the scentific difference between "urban" and "high speed" road surfaces in Ireland? Assuming that you're not just trolling, which is what it seems like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Speed traps and Garda presence on the roads is not how to make the roads safer.

Visible speed traps just mean that people slow down for a short space of time and then speed up again, in some cases breaking suddenly which is more dangerous than the speed they were coming down from.

As i said earlier fixed speed traps are useless as people just know where thay are and slow down.

A hidden speed trap could be more effective as if you don't know where you got caught you should be more inclined to remain at the limit. A situation where you cannot see the camera as you go by but you should see the flash and know you've been caught.

Speed simply comes down the mental attitude of Irish drivers. The M1 motorway is rediculous for people speeding some mornings it seems like I'm the only person travellingf within teh speed limit (including articulated trucks sometimes)

It can't be forgotten that speed is only half of teh equation is the decision making and lack of observation which also causes acidents if when travelling within the limit.

It not just speed that kills it BAD driving

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

magpie wrote:
    Perhaps you could explain the scentific difference between "urban" and "high speed" road surfaces in Ireland?
    Grip, uh sorry co-efficient of dynamic resistance. I'm sure there might be sub-factors like drainage, etc., which will affect grip in aquaplaning situations.
    magpie wrote:
    Assuming that you're not just trolling, which is what it seems like to me.
    Technically, I think its called flaming. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Victor wrote:
    Technically, I think its called flaming. :D

I think it's only called flaming when loads of people do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Kazujo wrote:
    Speed traps and Garda presence on the roads is not how to make the roads safer.

Visible speed traps just mean that people slow down for a short space of time and then speed up again, in some cases breaking suddenly which is more dangerous than the speed they were coming down from.

As i said earlier fixed speed traps are useless as people just know where thay are and slow down.

A hidden speed trap could be more effective as if you don't know where you got caught you should be more inclined to remain at the limit. A situation where you cannot see the camera as you go by but you should see the flash and know you've been caught.
    Is the point of a speed trap to catch people speeding or make them slow down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Well the main idea is to slow them down but unless you have hundreds of Gardai lining the side of every raod in teh country people will speed. The traps only work for the few hundred meters before and just after them. People will just speed up again once they are clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Yes, I understand the theory. But Motorways are made of the same stuff as 50km/ph roads. Prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Kazujo wrote:
    Well the main idea is to slow them down but unless you have hundreds of Gardai lining the side of every raod in teh country people will speed. The traps only work for the few hundred meters before and just after them. People will just speed up again once they are clear
    Some people wil, yes, but some people will speed anyway because you won't have hundreds of hidden gardai lining every road in the country either, and that makes it an acceptable risk. If you're actually serious about making a particular stretch of road safer, then a visible speed check is the way to do it.

Advertisement