Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utv Cap - what Cap (scam)

• 01-06-2005 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi i hust figured out a little scam, basically set your options with clicksilver broadband to disable internet usage once you reach your limit, and on the last day download bcketloads, i downloaded 5gb!, and they cant charge you for it as
    they can only charge u when u click to be charged rather then internet disabled, so i managed to dl 13gb for the month!
    I got the whole series of Lost

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Be careful, it's sometimes carried over into the next month when they update your download stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Hugo Reyes

paddy wrote:
    Be careful, it's sometimes carried over into the next month when they update your download stats.
    Really?
    Well I got away with it the last two months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I thought the same. They can't see how much you've downloaded until you disconnect and they update their stats, so if you don't disconnect they can't disable your account and they can't charge you for it either cause you told them to disable when you hit the limit.

I don't know for certain but as mentioned above they probably take the extra out of your next month. I noticed i was hitting my limit really early in the month so this would make sense. What I've noticed now is that I'm getting disconnected now and again, I suspect they're doing it so they can update their stats on me. Haven't been able to do this trick in a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They usually carry-over downloads from the last day or two into the next month but will still cut you off/charge you if you over during those last two days, so it's win-win for UTV, lose-lose for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or you could go with BT and have a 24gb cap, which so far hasn't been enforced anyway. ;)

37gb last month btw. ;)

• Advertisement

Come on UTV contract expiry, come on UTV contract expiry.

Who knew 12 months could seem so long...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Or you could get NTL BB Max (3m/300k) with a 40GB cap for €45 if it is available in your area.

Note NTL has never actually enforced the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

damn, you beat me bk! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fionn McCOOL

vibe666 wrote:
    or you could go with BT and have a 24gb cap, which so far hasn't been enforced anyway. ;)

37gb last month btw. ;)

Can BT charge you for the extra gigs if you go over the 24 gig download limit. Whats the most you have ever went over. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Can BT charge you for the extra gigs if you go over the 24 gig download limit. Whats the most you have ever went over. Thanks

yes of course they are entilted to charge you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

zap wrote:

Well, only if it is in the contract. For instance NTL don't have any charges in the contract for going over the cap, so they couldn't charge you.

However they could throw you off the service, or potentially put you on a restricted pipe, not that they have ever done that or even hinted that they would.

BTW if they do charge you for going over that cap, then there are supposed to have accurate information about how much you went over and make it available to you.

I wouldn't mind being put on a restricted pipe as opposed to simply cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Stark wrote:
    They usually carry-over downloads from the last day or two into the next month but will still cut you off/charge you if you over during those last two days, so it's win-win for UTV, lose-lose for you.

UTV cut off every 48 hours and update the stats after midnight. If you d/l at the end of the month but you don't log off until after midnight on the first of the next month then that usage will be counted in the next month. This applies if you are under the limit as well as over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fionn McCOOL

zap wrote:

I should have phrased it better. I know they are entitled to charge me if I go over the 24 gig download limit, I've read the contract and FAQ. My question is, has anyone gone over the limit and actually been charged for the extra gigs. I've gone over a couple of times but incredibly I haven't recieved any bill yet so I don't know if I'm going to be penalised. BT are almost as incompetent as eircom......I'm thinking its contagious. :(

Advertisement