Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Approved' Full Bore Pistol Ranges

Options
  • 01-06-2005 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

How many authorised/approved/licensed full bore pistol ranges are there in the Republic?. Meaning authorised/approved/licensed by the local Superintendent, An Garda Siochana.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Macnas, as far as I know, there is no official legal procedure for getting a range certified. You just show it to the super and he says yay or nay. I may be wrong on this, mind - I've just never seen any paperwork relating to this. So getting an exact number might be hard, because any existing club could technically go ahead and shoot fullbores in the ROI so long as they did so safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I've yet to find anything giving a super the ability to regulate which ranges licenced shooters can and can't use for various types of firearms (with the possible exception if the rage was so grossly unsuitable as to cause a danger to the public).

There is a legal power for the Super to set all sorts of conditions onto the use of club guns by non-licence holders, which seems to have confused some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

hi, I'm new to this site but as fas as my Super is concerned there are no approved Fullbore ranges in the Republic . That includes MRC , that was communicated to me only last week .

as fas as my Super is concerned there are no approved Fullbore ranges in the Republic
    News to the army, I'll bet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Sparks wrote:
    News to the army, I'll bet :D
    The Army don't need approval or planning permission.

• Advertisement

Not from the DoJ, no. But army ranges are approved... by the army and MoD, if I remember right.

Sparks wrote:
    Macnas, as far as I know, there is no official legal procedure for getting a range certified. You just show it to the super and he says yay or nay. I may be wrong on this, mind - I've just never seen any paperwork relating to this.

I found out that the DOJ / Gardai are going to use the same standard as the PSNI more or less for range approval . Can anyone get a copy of their guidelines , that would make interesting reading..... :D

Ammoman wrote:
    I found out that the DOJ / Gardai are going to use the same standard as the PSNI more or less for range approval . Can anyone get a copy of their guidelines , that would make interesting reading..... :D

Dunno about the guidelines, still looking for those, but here's their Firearms Act:
    Authorisation
    49. - (1) The Chief Constable may, on payment of the appropriate fee, grant an authorisation for a firearms club if he is satisfied that it can operate without danger to public safety or to the peace.

(2) The Chief Constable may at any time by notice in writing -

(a) attach conditions to an authorisation;

(b) vary or revoke conditions attached under this Article.

(3) An authorisation shall, unless the Chief Constable revokes it, continue in force for a period of five years from the date on which it is granted.

(4) The Unlawful Drilling Act 1819 (c. 1) shall not have effect in relation to a firearms club if an authorisation is in force in relation to it.

(5) Any person who -

(a) operates, or participates in the activities of, a firearms club for which an authorisation is not in force; or

(b) contravenes any condition of an authorisation,

shall be guilty of an offence.

There's even a standard form...

typical , For a small fee anything is possible !!! ;);)

its interesting to see the form , they dont ask about the backstops , only about the ranges and no of targets.... Strange . i would have thought that the construction of the backstops would be more important ?

it is also interesting to see that it is an offence to use a non authorised range !!! :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

it is also interesting to see that it is an offence to use a non authorised range !!!

Not quite what it says...
    Any person who -operates, or participates in the activities of, a firearms club for which an authorisation is not in force; or contravenes any condition of an authorisation,-shall be guilty of an offence.

It dosen't mention "Ranges"

I would guess ..(Given the security issues there ) this was inserted to prevent
    a bunch of lads assembling with firearms and claiming that they were a "club". :D

It's bacially saying that if you want to form a club ..do it in a proper and controlled manner ..and behave ..or else !

• Advertisement

" Any person who -operates, or participates in the activities of, a firearms club for which an authorisation is not in force "

Participates in the activities of , that means shooting on the range or using the range :rolleyes:

It dosen't mention "Ranges"

i didnt mean the locations or names of ranges , I meant Distances !!

Well, I didn't find the PSNI guidelines, but the Home Office ones from the UK probably had a feed into them. There's a leaflet they print called Firearms: Approval of Rifle and Pistol Clubs with the criteria clubs must meet to be certified. Can't find it on the web though.

Any idea who we / i could contact to get a copy ? :confused::confused::confused:

a firearms club

Forming a club dosen't nessarily mean it has either land or buildings.
    Many clubs don't , there are many car clubs on the internet whose members never meet in person , they don't have a premises or land ..yet it is a true club.

One definition of a club is..

"An association of persons united by a common interest usually meeting periodically for a shared activity"
    [Oxford dictionary]

True.. one of the most logical activitys of a shooting club would be shooting,
    But it's not the only activity..outings, pub quiz's ..etc are all pretty common club activitys.

It dosen't follow that they have their own "range " ..Approved or otherwise..
    they may shoot at another clubs "Approved range "

I'm not trying to be picky .. it's just that such assumptions as to meaning can and have caused problems.

The point I was trying to make is that in view of the security situation in that area .. it was probably an attempt to prevent what used to be known as "Unlawful assembly " by gun toting mobs (Who might try to claim they were just a club out for a walk with their guns) (Yeah right..!) while preserving the rights of genuine sportsmen.

Just write to any UK police force with a stamped addressed envelope, I suspect ammoman.

JC, very true - we were trying to set up DIT's rifle club so that they could use the DURC range until a DIT range could be sorted. Unfortunately, the college fairly stepped on that idea :(

Unfortunately, the college fairly stepped on that idea

Why..? :confused:

jaycee wrote:
    Why..? :confused:
    The reason given was "insurance". I think myself the real reason was that the proposal wasn't fully understood and 400 years of red tape came into play in putting up resistance :(
    Pity, really, since the earliest target shooting competition in Ireland that I can find a record of took place on the TCD campus (in the mid-1800s). You'd think they'd have a better appreciation of it, but it's a long hard slog for DURC in there. :(

As a matter of interest does the DURC range have approval ?

Well, it was inspected by the new Super from Pearse St. only a few months ago and given the all clear, so I guess we're as close to approval as you can legally get in this country. The firearms are held on an authorisation as well, so there's that to add weight to it.

We can't shoot .22 standing there at all though, and there's no air pistols yet (the club's still thinking about safety issues and it'd have to wait until the legality is nailed down anyway, the club does not have the right to act autonomously in such matters, it needs the college's permission). Safety's a big deal in DURC, obviously, since we get between 100 and 300 completely new shooters coming in each year who have to be trained to shoot safely.

• Advertisement

does it matter if the range isnt approved , i know that this issue is only causing aproblem sincr Jan or Feb of this year , and will it be retrospective , ie . clubs that are long established , will they have to get approval now also ? and more importantly will it effect the ability for club members to get a licence ???

No idea Ammo, since up to now, there's not been any formalised legal procedure for getting a range authorised (so far as I know of anyway).

Now for the conspiracy theory ! Maybe this is a plan by the DOJ to reduce the number of new clubs that have been set up in the last year or so , in order to curb the growing interest in Shooting as a sport , and in turn to reduce the number of firearms :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

jaycee wrote:
    I would guess ..(Given the security issues there ) this was inserted to prevent a bunch of lads assembling with firearms and claiming that they were a "club". :D
    So if this bunch of lads were to claim they were the Irish Rifle Association, they wouldn't get very far then?

:D:D:D

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, to be honest ammoman. I think if they wanted pistols gone, they'd just ban them outright, citing gun crime as the reason. Seeing the support the ERU got over Lusk, I don't think the DoJ would be too worried about backlash from doing that!

Rovi wrote:
    So if this bunch of lads were to claim they were the Irish Rifle Association, they wouldn't get very far then?
    :D:D:D
    Probably not, since the Irish Rifle Association (yup, there was such a thing) hasn't existed since the early 1900s.... :D

Sparks wrote:
    Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, to be honest ammoman. I think if they wanted pistols gone, they'd just ban them outright, citing gun crime as the reason. Seeing the support the ERU got over Lusk, I don't think the DoJ would be too worried about backlash from doing that!

I think that you would find that to ban the pistols outright they would have to amend the firearms act , that would take a considerable length of time , imposing restrictions through garda policy is easy by comparisson , it only takes a memo . that is assuming that the Gardai read the memos ??? :D

A TCO now would give them till the first few days of December to get the firearms act amended with the CJB. More than enough time. No, I don't think they'd be so indirect, I think you've just had the misfortune to run into one of the supers who hate people having guns in their district Ammo :(

Sparks wrote:
    A TCO now would give them till the first few days of December to get the firearms act amended with the CJB. More than enough time. No, I don't think they'd be so indirect, I think you've just had the misfortune to run into one of the supers who hate people having guns in their district Ammo :(

I dont think that they can justify a TCO ever again , not after the can of worms the last one left open... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

They certainly couldn't justify it to us Ammoman, and there probably wouldn't be too many shooters in the country who would think it benign; but the thing is that they don't have to justify it to us, they're legally entitled to do it, and if we decided to not comply, well, the ensuing debacle wouldn't bear thinking about :(

Advertisement